UNT Enrollment Jumps to Record High

Harry

12:00 EDT Wednesday

UNT enrollment jumps to record high

Enrollment at the University of North Texas in Denton reached 30,256 students on Sept. 9, the highest fall enrollment in the school's 112-year history.

That's 8.6 percent higher than the 27,858 students counted last year.

"This year's 30,000-plus enrollment comes at a particularly good time," said Norval Pohl, UNT's president. "Since this is the base period that determines UNT's formula funding for the next two years, our new enrollment has the potential to significantly and positively impact our appropriations from the state. This is especially important now because new funds for higher education could be in short supply due to the economy."

"If funds are available to the Texas Legislature, our growing enrollment has the potential to generate additional state revenue that can be used to enhance existing academic or service programs and/or develop new ones such as the College of Engineering," Pohl said.

All enrollment figures are unofficial until the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board verifies them later in the fall.

It's the sixth consecutive year of increased enrollment at UNT and tops last year's record.

Freshmen enrollment of 5,091 students is up 7.9 percent. Sophomore enrollment grew 4.9 percent, the number of juniors grew 3.5 percent and senior enrollment was up 2.8 percent.

The largest gain came from the graduate level, where the number of master's degree candidates was up 27 percent, or 1,356 students. The number of doctoral candidates was up 5.3 percent, or 63 students.

The enrollment doesn't include 254 out-of-state students who are registered for UNT courses offered on the Internet. However, the total does include 869 students at the UNT System Center at Dallas.

Web site: The University of North Texas

I do have a question.  Are the UNT System Center at Dallas students included for free admission to athletic and fine arts events?  If so, do we actively solicit their attendance at any of these events?

System Center students are considered UNT students, so I think they are definitely in on the admission to UNT games. I believe that UNTHSC students are even given this benefit.

And -- I thought that we had an agreement to also let NCTC students into the games (am I dreaming on this one?).

Collin County C.C. (25,000 students) also has a concurrent enrollment agreement with UNT and I read a couple years ago where "UNT athletic events" were a benefit of this. But I have never known UNT athletics to pursue students there as fans. This could be a good untapped source of potential fans since they have no football team (like TWU).