Jump to content

Liberty


mgfan

Recommended Posts

Agree with mgfan, it is time to clear our heads and begin to focus on Liberty. They have talented athletes and they will not lay down for us. We are at their house and they will protect it. They will have had two weeks, at home, to prepare a plan to defeat us. On the other hand, we will have been on the road two consecutive weeks and are coming off a very dominating performance. We have never played these people so all we have is film.  Add to that the weather forecast calls for afternoon and evening rain. On paper, we should beat their asses good. How did that work out for a handful of teams last weekend? Liberty could be a trap, guys, so let's get our heads right.  He could be waiting for us outside the locker room door...

100.gif

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EagleMBA said:

Agree with mgfan, it is time to clear our heads and begin to focus on Liberty. They have talented athletes and they will not lay down for us. We are at their house and they will protect it. They will have had two weeks, at home, to prepare a plan to defeat us. On the other hand, we will have been on the road two consecutive weeks and are coming off a very dominating performance. We have never played these people so all we have is film.  Add to that the weather forecast calls for afternoon and evening rain. On paper, we should beat their asses good. How did that work out for a handful of teams last weekend? Liberty could be a trap, guys, so let's get our heads right.  He could be waiting for us outside the locker room door...

100.gif

My thoughts eaxctly.  They have had 2 weeks to prepare and we are coming off a big win.  I worry about it being a trap game, but maybe I'm over thinking it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think Incarnate Word could possibly beat Liberty.

Hard disagree on that one.

I've watched both games they played this year, watched their Baylor win last year.  

Liberty can move the ball.   They have WR,  Antonio Gandy-Golden (AGG), who is a likely NFL draft choice.  Their QB has some problem with mid range passes, but he has a cannon and is pretty accurate deep.  If he has time, he can kill people deep.  

Liberty destroyed ODU, their QB hit a lot of deep balls and ended up with 345 Yds and 4 TD.  They moved the ball against Army but kept turning the ball over.  They had 4 trips into Army territory and came away with 0 points.  

I think we are the best team they have faced.  They are saying we are the best team ever to come to their stadium.   Still, I worry about a big game letdown for our side.  If we don't prepare for them, they can beat us.  If we have a db slip, or a blitz mistimes, they can burn us.  

I expect to win, but I don't expect to beat them by a UIW type score.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Hard disagree on that one.

I've watched both games they played this year, watched their Baylor win last year.  

Liberty can move the ball.   They have WR,  Antonio Gandy-Golden (AGG), who is a likely NFL draft choice.  Their QB has some problem with mid range passes, but he has a cannon and is pretty accurate deep.  If he has time, he can kill people deep.  

Liberty destroyed ODU, their QB hit a lot of deep balls and ended up with 345 Yds and 4 TD.  They moved the ball against Army but kept turning the ball over.  They had 4 trips into Army territory and came away with 0 points.  

I think we are the best team they have faced.  They are saying we are the best team ever to come to their stadium.   Still, I worry about a big game letdown for our side.  If we don't prepare for them, they can beat us.  If we have a db slip, or a blitz mistimes, they can burn us.  

I expect to win, but I don't expect to beat them by a UIW type score.  

 

Agree....this will be by far the best offense we have faced and they'll be fired up. I'm ready to get the Arkansas game behind us and I hope the coaches and player are too...

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Curious....why do you think that?

Because of the offense Incarnate Word runs.   They're a lot like us, just on a lower level.

 

 

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Hard disagree on that one.

I've watched both games they played this year, watched their Baylor win last year.  

Liberty can move the ball.   They have WR,  Antonio Gandy-Golden (AGG), who is a likely NFL draft choice.  Their QB has some problem with mid range passes, but he has a cannon and is pretty accurate deep.  If he has time, he can kill people deep.  

Liberty destroyed ODU, their QB hit a lot of deep balls and ended up with 345 Yds and 4 TD.  They moved the ball against Army but kept turning the ball over.  They had 4 trips into Army territory and came away with 0 points.  

I think we are the best team they have faced.  They are saying we are the best team ever to come to their stadium.   Still, I worry about a big game letdown for our side.  If we don't prepare for them, they can beat us.  If we have a db slip, or a blitz mistimes, they can burn us.  

I expect to win, but I don't expect to beat them by a UIW type score.  

 

Yeah, obviously if a guy falls down, or if old-school Nate shows up, biting on double-moves & playing too emotional, they could hit on a big play.  I'd hope Kemon is on Gandy-Golden.
Otherwise, I think they'll have a very difficult time with the defensive front 7.  Their QB will be under duress all day long & wont have time for a long throw to develop.   If our guys are able to collapse the pocket on these giant 4* SEC OLinemen, we should be able to handle Liberty's OL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

   If our guys are able to collapse the pocket on these giant 4* SEC OLinemen, we should be able to handle Liberty's OL.

Look we were much more "talented" than Portland State.   They were just much more motivated, and a better "team."    

That Arkansas team was checked out early.  There were times we rushed 3 and got there quick.  Liberty isn't going to be checked out.  They see us a huge feather to put in their cap.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Look we were much more "talented" than Portland State.   They were just much more motivated, and a better "team."    

That Arkansas team was checked out early.  There were times we rushed 3 and got there quick.  Liberty isn't going to be checked out.  They see us a huge feather to put in their cap.  

giphy.gif

  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This game is also really important from a perception \ momentum standpoint.

I wish we were at home this week to capitalize on the momentum from Arkansas....but we're not.

And if we go out and lay an egg at Liberty...we could do harm to what we have going.

A loss obviously would be a disaster....but if we go out and play sloppy and look bad....it won't help either.

We have to be focused and go out and dominate this game. I hope Liberty has their attention

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

After that display Saturday, why would anyone have lack of confidence in our team to go up and beat hell out of these pretenders? Don’t get me wrong, Fascism - I mean Liberty - may even be a better team than Arkansas at this point, but not much better in any case.

No lack of confidence in our team here. They were presented with a challenge and they rose to the occasion. They have shown no tendency to play down to the competition this year, but stuff happens; it happened all over college football last weekend. Turnovers, missed blocks, missed tackles, bad bounces of the ball, bad field conditions...all that shit could happen and cost us points, in spite of our efforts. I have confidence that our coaches will have them in the right frame of mind when they take the field. I do not doubt for a second that Liberty will give us every bit they have and we must take control of the game as soon as we can and extinguish their flames.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This will easily be our second hardest OOC game if not the hardest. The team needs to forget about Arkansas and the punt return immediately and put their focus on getting back home at 4-0. I’m confident they will do that but this game will NOT be easy at all 

I’m just saying, it will be.

...unless you’re just talking about competitive football in general, then yeah, nothing is easy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

After that display Saturday, why would anyone have lack of confidence in our team to go up and beat hell out of these pretenders? Don’t get me wrong, Fascism - I mean Liberty - may even be a better team than Arkansas at this point, but not much better in any case.

My only concern is the team not knowing how to handle success. I actually trust SL will say all the right things to prevent this, but I’ve seen rosters get too cocky for their own good before.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went over to the Liberty site to check out their roster. I was struck by the number of players they have from the Metroplex and also the physical size on the roster. I haven't done a lot of analysis but wanted to share this link ASAP. They have to potential to give us some problems, IMO.

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=36959&teamID=9

EDIT: Here is the link to the coaches. Many of us will remember when their HC was here as a GA. He is an alum BTW.

https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=37304&teamID=9

 

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus

I went back and watched some of the Arkansas game. They are a complete train wreck. They’re horrible. Now....we beat the snot out of them like we should’ve beat such a poor team....but that thing is a mess. 

The Liberty QB is the best QB we will have faced so far this season. 

We need to be focused. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how you can tell you’re amongst North Texas fans.  We finally have a team that can play all three phases of the game, has manhandled all our opponents, and we are doing everything we can to psychologically prepare for a loss.

I’m not worried.  Will they score some?  Sure.  Will they come out with their hair on fire?  Sure.  Will it be well in hand going into the 4th.  Yep.

  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 7

      We Need To Pack The Pit for WBB Tuesday Night

    2. 57

      East Carolina (3/3/24)

    3. 0

      ‘25 WR Braden Blueitt - Colleyville Heritage

    4. 6

      Details of 2Pac deals with MWC, WCC

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,361
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    ZacSr
    Joined
  • GEOVbwaWAAEbd3Q.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.