A Few Last Thoughts on the smuT Game

UNTLifer

After attending, watching the replay (maybe twice) and then Beyond the Green, here are my final thoughts on the game.

* Zack Womack and his crew have done an outstanding job with this team.  I remember when we lost the S&C Coach, can't recall his name, that I think McCarney brought in and we were all worried.  Womack's work has put his to shame.  It is nice to look out there and see a team that looks and performs like a D1 team.

* The work of Charles Ashford, Sports Nutritionist, has also done wonders for this team.

* Man, we are deep, deep, deep at WR.  I know that is a known fact, but to see White and Brewer contribute without a drop off is great.  To further piss off our opponents, we return everyone except Cudjoe Young and Quinetin Jackson.

* Nate Brooks was back to old Nate Brooks.  The entire defensive backfield looked so much better.  smuT's first 1st down was on a perfect throw and catch where Muhammed had perfect coverage.

* DL Play: contained the run all night long and got consistent pressure on Hicks which contributed to the DB's success.

* Usually I am able to pick out one or two players on each side of the ball that really stood out to me, but it was really difficult with this game because they all have improved.

* RB's.  I think we will be fine.  After watching replays, smuT was selling out to stop the run.  If I had to choose, I would give Nic Smith the nod.

* Our WR's just demoralized smuT's DB's and made the highly touted Wyatt look pedestrian.

Going to be a fun year.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

* Zack Womack and his crew have done an outstanding job with this team.  I remember when we lost the S&C Coach, can't recall his name, that I think McCarney brought in and we were all worried.  Womack's work has put his to shame.  It is nice to look out there and see a team that looks and performs like a D1 team.

While I agree with everything else. I think Frank Wintrich is a fantastic S&C guy. There's a reason why he's been at P5 schools after us. Not to say Womack isn't better but I think they were/are both fantastic.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

* Man, we are deep, deep, deep at WR.  I know that is a known fact, but to see White and Brewer contribute without a drop off is great.  To further piss off our opponents, we return everyone except Cudjoe Young and Quinetin Jackson.

Unfortunately, barring a disappointing year, I'm not so sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

While I agree with everything else. I think Frank Wintrich is a fantastic S&C guy. There's a reason why he's been at P5 schools after us. Not to say Womack isn't better but I think they were/are both fantastic.

Agree, I think if Wintrich would have had the added benifit of a nutrionalist you would have seen the same results. 

59 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Agree, I think if Wintrich would have had the added benifit of a nutrionalist you would have seen the same results. 

Concur. It’s 80% nutrition. We can have the best s/c on earth, but if dudes are pulling meal plans from bodybuilding.com, it gets them nowhere. 

Maybe your last thoughts.  But if I have to continue to read more about a 40 year-old Tennessee victory from a 7 win season under a coach that was a 60%-er in Denton, you can bet you'll be reading more about a SMU whipping from a 10+ win season under a coach that will be closer to 65% by the end of his 3rd year.

rs_500x265-160216105741-wine_man.gif?fit

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

After attending, watching the replay (maybe twice) and then Beyond the Green, here are my final thoughts on the game.

* The work of Charles Ashford, Sports Nutritionist, has also done wonders for this team.

* Nate Brooks was back to old Nate Brooks.  The entire defensive backfield looked so much better.  smuT's first 1st down was on a perfect throw and catch where Muhammed had perfect coverage.

* DL Play: contained the run all night long and got consistent pressure on Hicks which contributed to the DB's success.

* Usually I am able to pick out one or two players on each side of the ball that really stood out to me, but it was really difficult with this game because they all have improved.

* RB's.  I think we will be fine.  After watching replays, smuT was selling out to stop the run.  If I had to choose, I would give Nic Smith the nod.

* Our WR's just demoralized smuT's DB's and made the highly touted Wyatt look pedestrian.

Going to be a fun year.

Our results in the S&C program are DIRECTLY correlated to the emphasis put on Nutrition and Fuel the Student-Athletes.  We hired a Nutritionist to help create meal plans to allow our athletes to see bigger gains.... I think both S&C guys are really really good at what they do.  1 finally received the support the other never had. 

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Our results in the S&C program are DIRECTLY correlated to the emphasis put on Nutrition and Fuel the Student-Athletes.  We hired a Nutritionist to help create meal plans to allow our athletes to see bigger gains.... I think both S&C guys are really really good at what they do.  1 finally received the support the other never had. 

I agree.  Work in the industry and, to be fair, Wintrich was working short handed

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Purely speculation.   As in speculating #9 gets drafted.

Gotcha.  Well, on paper, if they all play out their eligibility, we are stacked next year.  If, and I think it is a big if, someone leaves early, I think we will be fine with White, Shorter, Ogunmakin, etc... waiting in the wings.

Edited by UNTLifer

Also, a quick visit over to ponyfans, and they are not smug at all about tonight's game against TCU.  Talking about putting their mortgage payments on TCU because the 21 point spread is too small. I think I'll make a nice bowl of chili so I can season it with their tears. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1