What I want to know is...

Hunter Green

It appears that the decision was made to go to the NO Bowl before we ever played FAU in the Championship game.  My question is, why could we not secure a P5 opponent when it appears one or some of our conference mates will get that opportunity. If so, that really pisses me off, as I have stated in another thread. Can someone address this scenario?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Who said any of our conference mates are getting a P5? Haven't seen any yet, and FAU was the best candidate to do so.

There would have had to be some major trading at the last minute for the Independence Bowl not to end up CUSA vs. ACC.  And that CUSA team would almost certainly be a western division team that WE beat. If I were FAU I'd be incredibly underwhelmed with Temple.  

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

There would have had to be some major trading at the last minute for the Independence Bowl not to end up CUSA vs. ACC.  And that CUSA team would almost certainly be a western division team that WE beat. If I were FAU I'd be incredibly underwhelmed with Temple.  

If it's a fill-in, who says it has to be CUSA? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

Because CUSA has the actual secondary tie in for that one...unlike the HOD bowl this year.

Sorry, but I don't think that means anything. It's a formality if anything, with I'm sure plenty of work arounds. If anything, some of our bowl-eligible conference mates may be sitting at home.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

It appears that the decision was made to go to the NO Bowl before we ever played FAU in the Championship game.  My question is, why could we not secure a P5 opponent when it appears one or some of our conference mates will get that opportunity. If so, that really pisses me off, as I have stated in another thread. Can someone address this scenario?

I guess you did not see the two separate articles from Brett Vito that indicated that UNT's preference was 1) P5 opponent, 2) New Orleans bowl?  If we weren't offered a P5 opponent, what exactly do you suggest?

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Sorry, but I don't think that means anything. It's a formality if anything, with I'm sure plenty of work arounds. If anything, some of our bowl-eligible conference mates may be sitting at home.

Someone should let the Shreveport times know then...http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/2017/12/02/fsu-kiffin-latech-options-abound-11-th-hour-independence-bowl-walk-ons/916658001/

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Independence Bowl is Florida State, delay on second team I'm sure them doing everything in their power to keep a CUSA team out of it. Likely a trade. 

If the Indy turns out P5 vs. P5 then New Orleans was undoubtedly the best option available.  Nothing against Albuquerque as a "destination". I just wish the NOB was a little further into bowl season.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

If the Indy turns out P5 vs. P5 then New Orleans was undoubtedly the best option available.  Nothing against Albuquerque as a "destination". I just wish the NOB was a little further into bowl season.

I don't think FAU would turn down playing Florida State, no matter the location. It will be P5 vs. P5. 

• Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

They were Wheeling and dealing last night to try and make sure they could get two P5 teams.

If they can't LaTech and USM will always have a leg up there because of proximity.  Just like we will with HoD.

I would kind of be surprised if TTech does not end up in Indy, but in order to make that happen they will have to make several other swaps, including making sure CUSA gets a game somewhere else since we have a backup tie in there.

• Lovely Take 1

If FSU shows up in Shreveport & plays a CUSA team & it’s NOT us, I (and I’m betting the players/coaches) will be livid... because it will simply come down to the Indy committee not wanting us & the Conference not pushing hard enough.

FAU in the BR bowl against Temple?   I thought the NO bowl was a let down...  that game is a colossal waste of a great season for FAU.   FAU could have had that game even if they were 7-5.

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

I would kind of be surprised if TTech does not end up in Indy, but in order to make that happen they will have to make several other swaps, including making sure CUSA gets a game somewhere else since we have a backup tie in there.

Put Tech in the Indy and make HOD a G5 vs. G5?  

The P5’s don’t want to play the G5’s in a bowl game because they risk losing on national television. It would hurt them. It’s the same reason our fans complained about playing a sunbelt team. It is what it is until the NCAA steps in and fights for equality, and that doesn’t seem to be their priority.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

I guess you did not see the two separate articles from Brett Vito that indicated that UNT's preference was 1) P5 opponent, 2) New Orleans bowl?  If we weren't offered a P5 opponent, what exactly do you suggest?

I expect our AD or Conference bust the friggin door down and insist that our championship participants be reward with the best opponent possible rather than settling for scraps from the P5 table. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2