Special Teams

UNTexas

Are you kidding me? The punt returner finally figures out to get away from it then let players push them into it?

We got lucky there.

These guys give me heart burn.

Nevermind, our longsnapper makes me vomit.

But let's make up for it by not covering a kick off.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

On 10/14/2017 at 6:35 PM, UNTexas said:

Are you kidding me? The punt returner finally figures out to get away from it then let players push them into it?

On a punt you can't be pushed or knocked into the ball by the other team and cause it to be a live ball.  If the ball did touch him it would still be our possession even if UTSA recovered.  Regardless, the kid should be smarter not to be so close.

I'm more concerned about our punt returners continually letting the ball drop and bounce losing significant yardage.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

On a punt you can't be pushed or knocked into the ball by the other team and cause it to be a live ball.  If the ball did touch him it would still be our possession even if UTSA recovered.  Regardless, the kid should be smarter not to be so close.

I'm more concerned about our punt returners continually letting the ball drop and bounce losing significant yardage.

Darden is a true freshman.  Hopefully, he will learn.  Fingers crossed every time special teams is on the field.

• Upvote 2

in the game vs SOMETH on the last kickoff return it was set up so  well.  It was on the west side of the field and evans had blockers in front of him on the return.  It was how a return should be done.  I really haven't seen it develop since.

Due we have a backup FG kicker on the team?  I hope we can recruit a good punter and kicker in the next recruiting class.  I think Keena was so good because he got so much practice under Mac's team.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

in the game vs SOMETH on the last kickoff return it was set up so  well.  It was on the west side of the field and evans had blockers in front of him on the return.  It was how a return should be done.  I really haven't seen it develop since.

Due we have a backup FG kicker on the team?  I hope we can recruit a good punter and kicker in the next recruiting class.  I think Keena was so good because he got so much practice under Mac's team.  

SOMETH seems like an abbreviation of Southern Methodist, yet I see it being used in reference to Southern Mississippi.  Can someone explain?   Just curious.

10 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

First Keena, then Moore.

This is how it ends.

A lot of the big schools don’t offer kickers scholarships right out of high school like we did Trevor.  I think we need to go all out to get the very best at each position and give them both a full ride.  I remember Littrell joking (while complementing the kickers) about how he thought we wouldn’t need them since we would score so much.  Even in jest, that worries me about the perceived importance of those positions. 

1 hour ago, GreenBacker said:

A lot of the big schools don’t offer kickers scholarships right out of high school like we did Trevor.  I think we need to go all out to get the very best at each position and give them both a full ride.  I remember Littrell joking (while complementing the kickers) about how he thought we wouldn’t need them since we would score so much.  Even in jest, that worries me about the perceived importance of those positions. 

They already have Moores replacement on Scholarship, Nick Williams (I believe his name is)... 

I was concerned by the departure of Perry for Biaggi, who had very  little experience. Those concerns seem validated. That's one phase of the game we are clearly losing almost every game. I appreciate his somewhat unconventional style this year in practices, but it's time to make adjustments.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I was concerned by the departure of Perry for Biaggi, who had very  little experience. Those concerns seem validated. That's one phase of the game we are clearly losing almost every game. I appreciate his somewhat unconventional style this year in practices, but it's time to make adjustments.

ST has won us game(s), and it has been a worry as well..

We have to remember, its a totally new system... with a lot of new guys.. SL has allowed Biagi to now use starters, having a FR LS to start the year and then blow out his knee with us down to our 3rd string who wasn't on the roster to start the year, isn't ideal and while the kid has had some solid games he has struggled at times as well.. on top of having freshman KR/PR.. to breaking in a new Punter(s) after replacing one of the better P in the nation last year.. 

Yes we have had some difficult times, but it will improve with more time in the systems and these guys mature.. If Biagi can have half the improvement in his group that GH has had, it would be amazing.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:46 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

ST has won us game(s), and it has been a worry as well..

We have to remember, its a totally new system... with a lot of new guys.. SL has allowed Biagi to now use starters, having a FR LS to start the year and then blow out his knee with us down to our 3rd string who wasn't on the roster to start the year, isn't ideal and while the kid has had some solid games he has struggled at times as well.. on top of having freshman KR/PR.. to breaking in a new Punter(s) after replacing one of the better P in the nation last year.. 

Yes we have had some difficult times, but it will improve with more time in the systems and these guys mature.. If Biagi can have half the improvement in his group that GH has had, it would be amazing.

The system has very little to basic skills. Catching or getting away from punts. Pretty basic with all coaches. Staying in your lane on kickoffs is the same with all coaches. Tackling is the same between coaches. The blocking looks fine. The punter will be fine. Last years guy being goid has nothi g to do with this years guy. It's little things killing us.

However, longsnappers, well we are just screwed if we can't make extra points. We could have lost the utsa game as a result. High Schools make extra points. Our guy is getting flustered and snapping all over the place but mostly high. This has to be fixed by Saturday. Punts are the more challenging snaps so I don't see why it's so sporadic. Lower you ass and the ball stays low. I hope he's practicing nonstop this week. The timing was non existent between the snap, hold, and kick. 

Bottom line is it's going to be just awful if we sqwander a game or potentially a shot at the conference championship game off of an extra point or returned kickoff.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The system has very little to basic skills. Catching or getting away from punts. Pretty basic with all coaches. Staying in your lane on kickoffs is the same with all coaches. Tackling is the same between coaches. The blocking looks fine. The punter will be fine. Last years guy being goid has nothi g to do with this years guy. It's little things killing us.

However, longsnappers, well we are just screwed if we can't make extra points. We could have lost the utsa game as a result. High Schools make extra points. Our guy is getting flustered and snapping all over the place but mostly high. This has to be fixed by Saturday. Punts are the more challenging snaps so I don't see why it's so sporadic. Lower you ass and the ball stays low. I hope he's practicing nonstop this week. The timing was non existent between the snap, hold, and kick. 

Bottom line is it's going to be just awful if we sqwander a game or potentially a shot at the conference championship game off of an extra point or returned kickoff.

Give the LS a break.. He has been on the team for 3 weeks, and 3 wins vs UAB, USM, and UTSA.. Yes he struggled, but it was his 3rd game (he can have an off game).. He did fine vs UAB on the game winning snap (and throughout that game) and got no praise, but yet criticism for 2 PATs.. Yes it could have cost us the game, but so could have many other plays like the blown coverage leading to the RB 40 something receiving TD, which gave UTSA the lead.. 

Again he wasn't on the team and SL even said the kid was fishing the weekend before the UAB game. We are using our 3rd string LS for PATs, so lets chill out and realize that if biggest issues is PAT or Kick Coverage we are doing some things good...

You can say that ST is a basic system but we have no idea.. They have guys likely who have always been so good (to their HS teams), that they haven't done it before.. Connor Means is on Kickoff coverage, how many times did he do that in HS or before this season? Evan Johnson another example likely never did it in HS.. Yes those are 2 examples compared to someone like McClain who is on the unit as well but having guys in positions/spots they haven't been in makes them think and react slower.. SL has talked about it why the offense makes the jump from year 1 to 2.. Its because guys about to react without thinking allowing them to play faster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2