My 2 cents.

TheReal_jayD

Between leading 10-0 to being behind 38-10, Mason Fine was the quarterback.

It was 54-17 with more than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and SMU has guys on the field that will never see the field again this year...and, you are trying to sell Mason Fine as a great QB.

It's a joke.  He disappeared like last season.  Quit trying by to paint it as anything else.  

Wilson couldn't bail us like he did three times last year.

The SMU game proves what many said before the season:  as Wilson goes, so goes UNT...in a supposed "Air Raid" offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 14

5 minutes ago, OfficerBennett said:

It was 54-17 with more than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and SMU has guys on the field that will never see the field again this year...and, you are trying to sell Mason Fine as a great QB.

It's a joke.  He disappeared like last season.  Quit trying by to paint it as anything else.  

The SMU game proves what many said before the season:  as Wilson goes, so goes UNT...in a supposed "Air Raid" offense.

This goes without saying. Our OC jabbed with the run early. Saw that smug had 7-9 on any given play within 3 yards from the LOS and proceeded to call 50 out routes in a row. We were way, way out coached in this game. Everyone that throws in their 2 cents goes on to say "IF IF IF Sutton wasn't playing...." Well, he was. If we had to triple team his ass to take away half of his yards and touchdowns then you just have to risk it. Lowly fan board posters were saying this days leading into this game. And the coaching staff just, just, said, "Nope. Not doubling or tripling. And we'll do it 1 better, we're going cheat our safeties down. Then when it doesn't work early we're going to ignore it for 170 yards and 4 touchdowns." 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OfficerBennett said:

Reffett was not good in this game.  He seemed to have no answer or ability to make adjustments in the secondary.  Disappointing to see our secondary, which was supposed to be a strength, look so bad.

• Upvote 4

Just now, NT93 said:

Has anyone else considered the possibility that SMU might be a decent team.  I don't really think that's the case, but as the season plays out we could find out they're pretty good. 

I honestly don't expect Iowa to beat us as bad as SMU did.

I watched Iowa/Iowa State yesterday.  Iowa is kne dimensional on offense.  Their RB is a stud, but the QB is shaky.  The have a great LB and their front 7 will give us fits.  We will need to win the field position battle and that worries me with our, don't think I have ever said this, lack of a decent punter.

29 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Reffett was not good in this game.  He seemed to have no answer or ability to make adjustments in the secondary.  Disappointing to see our secondary, which was supposed to be a strength, look so bad.

True.

34 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This goes without saying. Our OC jabbed with the run early. Saw that smug had 7-9 on any given play within 3 yards from the LOS and proceeded to call 50 out routes in a row. We were way, way out coached in this game. Everyone that throws in their 2 cents goes on to say "IF IF IF Sutton wasn't playing...." Well, he was. If we had to triple team his ass to take away half of his yards and touchdowns then you just have to risk it. Lowly fan board posters were saying this days leading into this game. And the coaching staff just, just, said, "Nope. Not doubling or tripling. And we'll do it 1 better, we're going cheat our safeties down. Then when it doesn't work early we're going to ignore it for 170 yards and 4 touchdowns." 

The bottom line is this:  SMU beat our ass and didn't give up jack to Fine until they had ripped off 38 points in a row.

Shortly thereafter they get the stupid safety because our idiot coaches are throwing out of our end zone (a la Todd Dodge late in the 79-10 blowout at OU during his debut 10 years ago).

Just accept that you are beat and get the back ups some work at that point.  

SMU had already begun to remove starters.  It was over.  Back ups need game experience.  Cosmetic scores and stats against their backups prove and help nothing.

Edited by OfficerBennett
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Like it or not our team was whipped on the offensive line for 2 and half quarters.   And regardless of whether you think SMU has a lower P5 level roster or not they still have better athletes than us.   Also if you were at the game did you notice how many skill position players they have in the NFL.   I think it would be correct to say they have out recruited UNT since 2010 at least.  We do have the athletes to compete in CUSA.   The wild swing of opinions on Fine in this thread reflects more poorly on our collective and objective knowledge of football than Fine.  He is the best QB we have but his height is a limitation.   With that limitation he cannot make an undermanned offense play above its head consistently.  But for CUSA play he should do well if we have balance.  As for the calls for Quinn Shanbour I will defer to the coaches who say Fine won the job.  I saw nothing in garbage time against Lamar that made me doubt their decision.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

SMU is in year 3 of a massive rebuild, we are in year 2. Sutton is a beast, and he will be playing on Sundays. I do question why he was not double teamed more, but what do I know.

Mason is only going to get better. He did force the ball on one of the interceptions, but he is way ahead of where he was last year.

As much as I hate to say it, SMU is going to make a bowl this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Chad Morris gets snatched up for a bigger job.

For the usual negative Nancy's on this board, have a little faith. This is not Dan McCarney or Todd Dodge running the program.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, OfficerBennett said:

This writing style is very familiar...

Tells us about yourself, Officer Bennett. What are you an officer of? Police? Military? Whatever the TSA equivalent is for banner-plane airports?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

I always stay away from GMG.com during game weekends... too much emotion from a lot of posters.

I have 3 cents.

1. Jaylon Darden is going to be SPECIAL.  Like, Brelan comparisons special.
2. Thank the LORD we don't have to deal with Sutton, or any WR remotely on his level.   That dude beat us by himself.  There's no way around that.
3. Marty Biagi's seat should be very warm, already.  Dude talks alot but has no results to speak of.   Incredible that Littrell is signing off on this 2-return-man punt formation, which removes a blocker from upfield, allowing the opposition to continually swarm our return man, forcing bone-headed decisions/muffs/whatever.  Just put Darden back there by himself, and BLOCK for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I always stay away from GMG.com during game weekends... too much emotion from a lot of posters.

I have 3 cents.

1. Jaylon Darden is going to be SPECIAL.  Like, Brelan comparisons special.
2. Thank the LORD we don't have to deal with Sutton, or any WR remotely on his level.   That dude beat us by himself.  There's no way around that.
3. Marty Biagi's seat should be very warm, already.  Dude talks alot but has no results to speak of.   Incredible that Littrell is signing off on this 2-return-man punt formation, which removes a blocker from upfield, allowing the opposition to continually swarm our return man, forcing bone-headed decisions/muffs/whatever.  Just put Darden back there by himself, and BLOCK for him.

Yep.  I have to say, though....this game gave me flashbacks to Todge's opener against OU.  Watching our defense play man  with an obviously overmatched CB (dang it I can't remember his name---the tiny corner from CA with long hair?) against Malcolm Kelly and refusing to change out of it.  Couple of comments about trusting Reffett on the board from some of our most knowledgeable fans have me shaking my head a bit.  After Sutton's second TD it was OBVIOUS that Brooks (or anyone else) couldn't handle him alone.  You have to concede that and adjust.  Maybe we start getting beat by the run game earlier, but good grief.  We literally let one guy beat us Saturday night.  That and our special teams are looking to have reverted to Todge levels.  Not a good omen.

When you step back and look at this thing from the back half of 2016 to now, I'm worried about this staff in a big way.

• Upvote 2

We can bitch about Fine or SL not taking control of his coaches. But bottom line is SL is here for 2-3 more years and will himself grow more into his Head Coaching position. Keep reminding yourself where we were two years ago. 

Finally, there ain't gonna be any easy wins this year....everyone will have their chance to to kick our butt......Think UAB wasn't paying attention....

47 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Yep.  I have to say, though....this game gave me flashbacks to Todge's opener against OU.  Watching our defense play man  with an obviously overmatched CB (dang it I can't remember his name---the tiny corner from CA with long hair?) against Malcolm Kelly and refusing to change out of it.  Couple of comments about trusting Reffett on the board from some of our most knowledgeable fans have me shaking my head a bit.  After Sutton's second TD it was OBVIOUS that Brooks (or anyone else) couldn't handle him alone.  You have to concede that and adjust.  Maybe we start getting beat by the run game earlier, but good grief.  We literally let one guy beat us Saturday night.  That and our special teams are looking to have reverted to Todge levels.  Not a good omen.

When you step back and look at this thing from the back half of 2016 to now, I'm worried about this staff in a big way.

Didn't you notice the adjustment they made on Sutton on the first play after the muffed punt in the 3rd quarter?  Reffett tried to confuse them by putting NOBODY on Sutton.  Result?  35 yard touchdown pass where he literally had nobody covering him.  He was uncovered and untouched and walked into the end zone.

I guess you have to hand it to Reffett, I bet smoo did not anticipate that move.  They were lucky he did not drop the pass out of sheer surprise of not being covered.  It will be interesting to see if any other DCs try that same coverage on Sutton this year.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes the play calling on offense was horrendous (besides the first drive and garbage time). The defensive problems we're getting off the field on third down and Courtland Sutton. 

I believe we are feeling the effect of the Growing pains of having a second year oc. And not having the best oline doesn't help. 

As far as the defense goes. I have 110% confidence in Troy Reffett he has been successful at every stop he has made at in college as a DC. 

I believe the specials team and Marty Biagi will work themselves out. He is dealing with alot of younger guys. He was very successful as a Special Teams coordinator before they will get it figured out. 

Now on to the players that played. If you can honestly sit here and say we lost that game because of Mason Fine I believe your Football iq should be questioned. I honestly believe between his Maturity, leadership ability, toughness and accuracy he will got down as the best QB UNT has had in 20 years. I know that will tick off several on this board but oh well. I believe Mason the type of kid that in 5 to ten years we look back and say man I wish we could find another kid like Mason. I may be the biggest homer on this board but I think the kid has something special.i understand he didn't do much between first drive and garbage time but I believe playing calling went extremely conservative and hurt team.

As far as SMU being like some P5 level team and completely out matched us I don't believe it. They have a 1st round wr and the best one we will face all season. If courtland Sutton isn't in that game. The game is completely different. 

And for all the people "omg Chad Morris is the greastest Recruiter every and has put together a plethora of talent" he didn't recruit Courtland Sutton. He came to SMU for basketball.

I honestly believe UNT best days are ahead of us. President and Wren baker are not going to settle for losing. One game doesn't make or break a season.i think we learn from this game and  I still think we go bowling. 

GMG

Pretty much right there with you, but I don't think our recruiting is going well enough for Littrell to maybe survive. Reasoning, whenever you take over a historically downtrodden program. You better start off on fire recruiting (See Western Michigan for recent example). That gets peoples attention that something is different and it snowballs. Otherwise, after two to three years, people think, same old same old, time to try again with a new coach.

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Didn't you notice the adjustment they made on Sutton on the first play after the muffed punt in the 3rd quarter?  Reffett tried to confuse them by putting NOBODY on Sutton.  Result?  35 yard touchdown pass where he literally had nobody covering him.  He was uncovered and untouched and walked into the end zone.

I guess you have to hand it to Reffett, I bet smoo did not anticipate that move.  They were lucky he did not drop the pass out of sheer surprise of not being covered.  It will be interesting to see if any other DCs try that same coverage on Sutton this year.

That was frustrating.   It had to have been a blown assignment.  No way he was completely un-accounted for, like it appeared.

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

i just remember his nickname was "toast"...

• Haha 1