3 of the top 40 OG in Texas committed to UNT

GMG24

This site isn't the end all be all, but they're usually pretty solid in their evaluations.  They have us with #39 Jordan Redfearn from Aubrey who more than likely is a swing guy for us as a OT/OG, #35 Cole Brown from Conroe HS, AND #33 Daizion Carroll from Waco Midway.  This is pretty impressive haul in my opinion.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This site isn't the end all be all, but they're usually pretty solid in their evaluations.  They have us with #39 Jordan Redfearn from Aubrey who more than likely is a swing guy for us as a OT/OG, #35 Cole Brown from Conroe HS, AND #33 Daizion Carroll from Waco Midway.  This is pretty impressive haul in my opinion.  

I agree, especially when you consider that this site focuses entirely on Texas High School players and is not a national site trying to cover everyone.

20 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

#reaching 

I'm the #1 30 year old athlete located at 1275 XXXX XXXX Dr. Denton, Texas 76210. Undisputed, actually. 

How? Go look up their other position groups and offer lists, there is always wiggle room when you make a lists like this.  The fact they're on it is pretty damn impressive.  The fact we have 3 of them committed is more impressive.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

He has no other offers.. Thus according to his own breakdown means he won't have any success. 

Not my breakdown. The years and years of evidence's breakdown. Over the years what are 2 correlations to UNT football? We don't recruit well, and we don't win. So you're basically saying this is pure coincidence? And the same can be said for the most of the same 20-25 programs that are almost always ranked 100-125 at the end of every recruiting cycle. But keep kidding yourself and keep driving the narrative that recruiting doesn't matter. In the meantime, we'll keep losing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

55 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not my breakdown. The years and years of evidence's breakdown. Over the years what are 2 correlations to UNT football? We don't recruit well, and we don't win. So you're basically saying this is pure coincidence? And the same can be said for the most of the same 20-25 programs that are almost always ranked 100-125 at the end of every recruiting cycle. But keep kidding yourself and keep driving the narrative that recruiting doesn't matter. In the meantime, we'll keep losing. 

Never said recruiting doesn't matter.. I've said offer lists don't matter but keep trying to drive a false narrative 

The past 2 years.. we had an outdated coach and a style that wasn't attractive to recruits and an AD more concerned about adding baseball than improving then the current sports, oh went 1-11 and the Portland state game. now we have a coach that runs an offense attractive to recruits, a modern HC, improving facilities for current not potential sports and went to a bowl game... 

if you ask me about the past 2 season it's about mindset and coaching.. with the 1 similar thing being recruiting but can't do much when the past coaching staff got bent over by Portland St 

12 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Question: does this list include only seniors or is any high school OG in Texas eligible to make the cut?

Should only be seniors since they have rankings for every year

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Never said recruiting doesn't matter.. I've said offer lists don't matter but keep trying to drive a false narrative 

The past 2 years.. we had an outdated coach and a style that wasn't attractive to recruits and an AD more concerned about adding baseball than improving then the current sports, oh went 1-11 and the Portland state game. now we have a coach that runs an offense attractive to recruits, a modern HC, improving facilities for current not potential sports and went to a bowl game... 

if you ask me about the past 2 season it's about mindset and coaching.. with the 1 similar thing being recruiting but can't do much when the past coaching staff got bent over by Portland St 

Should only be seniors since they have rankings for every year

Bullshit. 

What have we done to attract recruits? What recruits? I mean we can attract thousands of 0 offer recruits all day, everyday.  As far as attracting recuits that are impact players at this level and in this conference, we haven't moved the needle 1 damn bit. What makes you think we have, and what evidence do you really have that suggests your horrible opinion as fact?  

And ftr...Every year there is some wonder list created that a fan of ours post as some kind of solidification of our poor recruiting. This list does nothing for me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Bullshit. 

What have we done to attract recruits? What recruits? I mean we can attract thousands of 0 offer recruits all day, everyday.  As far as attracting recuits that are impact players at this level and in this conference, we haven't moved the needle 1 damn bit. What makes you think we have, and what evidence do you really have that suggests your horrible opinion as fact?  

And ftr...Every year there is some wonder list created that a fan of ours post as some kind of solidification of our poor recruiting. This list does nothing for me. 

It's a speed offense that should be passs heavy. Look at SL and GH backgrounds

Recruits that they had added under SL/GH are Rico, Smith, Guyton, Darben, Siggers... on top of Pearson, Bean, Martin which are solid QB recruits even if you don't like the offer lists.

Recruits on defense are Jenkins, Hood, English, Hambone, Davis, then even William Johnson and Hoston committed here even though they had solid offer lists. 

Start using your brain and think.

• Upvote 1

I did some research into this. Every year there are approximately 350 FBS signees from the state of Texas. If you divide this number by 22 positions, you get about 16 FBS signees at each position. So you factor in the fact that there are two guard spots and you get an approximation of about 32 FBS guard signees from Texas each year.

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-the-fbs-signees-come-from-1

A little further research showed me that about 21 of the 247 top 450 recruits in Texas were guards. I did 100 more than the 350 I mentioned because a lot of the first 350 either didn't sign or went FCS and I was going for roughly a representative sample of FBS signees. Those 21 were not all FBS signees either.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=TX

So we're looking at about 30 or so FBS signees each year from Texas at the guard position. Not trying to say having guys between 31 and 40 means they aren't FBS quality, but I would say based on that little research that's likely going to be a range every year featuring borderline FBS players.

23 hours ago, GMG24 said:

How? Go look up their other position groups and offer lists, there is always wiggle room when you make a lists like this.  The fact they're on it is pretty damn impressive.  The fact we have 3 of them committed is more impressive.

Impressive in what sense? I'm not being a smart aleck or arguing with you. Genuinely asking the question. The fact these guys didn't have any FBS offers means that you or I could've garnered their commitments. No disrespect to the players or their potentials, but we got these guys uncontested. 

20 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

He has no other offers.. Thus according to his own breakdown means he won't have any success. 

The thing you keep missing with the offer list narrative is that it's not about predicting the success of each individual player. But:

1. In larger samples (i.e. Signing classes) you're playing against the percentages the more of these players that you sign and

2. If you can't win recruiting battles you are relegating yourself to players no one else wants. Even if you like some of those kids and they #FitTheSystem, you are putting yourself in a position where you are at the mercy of who other schools want and are not choosing between recruits, but getting the ones no one else wants by default. That's a very unlikely spot to win games out of and the concern for that is legitimate, whether you choose to be concerned by it or not.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On 7/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, GMG24 said:

On 7/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, GMG24 said:

How in the world is this impressive?  The top 40 guards in a state would equate with about the top 900 players in the state.  Under 400 players actually get fb ships.   The fact that all NT players are at the lower end of this list is even less impressive.  

23 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Another thread derailed 

Not really. It's not a thread about a specific recruit, and it's about us having players ranked in a list that doesn't have much precedence, so we're evaluating the significance of the rankings using other reference points. If this were done in Daizion Carroll's thread, then yeah, I'd agree.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not really. It's not a thread about a specific recruit, and it's about us having players ranked in a list that doesn't have much precedence, so we're evaluating the significance of the rankings using other reference points. If this were done in Daizion Carroll's thread, then yeah, I'd agree.

To me, it's significant because every kid in TXHSFB wants to be on this list.  Yes I know that just because they're top 40/30 etc doesn't mean much.  Took me till 29 before a kid had multiple offers.  However, out of the I'd guess close to 1,000 OG in the state, we have three that are in the top 40 according to this site.  Again, not the end all be all.  But every kid in TX knows who this lonestar prospects is and wants to be on that list.  I'm not sure how they compose their list either.  

Side note, I agree with you on bringing kids in who have more than an offer from us.  However, I also see guys like Wilson, Fine, Bussey. Just from the last class who we were their only option and the dudes balled.  Fine I a man giving him benefit of the doubt he got thrown to the wolves with a very bad OL and being a true freshman.  

Side note, someone mentioned we never beat Frank Wilson for a recruit.  I was looking over our last class and Henson had an offer from UTSA.  So there's that fun nugget. 

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

To me, it's significant because every kid in TXHSFB wants to be on this list.  Yes I know that just because they're top 40/30 etc doesn't mean much.  Took me till 29 before a kid had multiple offers.  However, out of the I'd guess close to 1,000 OG in the state, we have three that are in the top 40 according to this site.  Again, not the end all be all.  But every kid in TX knows who this lonestar prospects is and wants to be on that list.  I'm not sure how they compose their list either.  

Side note, I agree with you on bringing kids in who have more than an offer from us.  However, I also see guys like Wilson, Fine, Bussey. Just from the last class who we were their only option and the dudes balled.  Fine I a man giving him benefit of the doubt he got thrown to the wolves with a very bad OL and being a true freshman.  

Side note, someone mentioned we never beat Frank Wilson for a recruit.  I was looking over our last class and Henson had an offer from UTSA.  So there's that fun nugget. 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Rico-Bussey-83524/RecruitInterests

Bussey had a crap load of offers. Consequently he looks like one our better players going into this year, while Wilson is gone

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Rico-Bussey-83524/RecruitInterests

Bussey had a crap load of offers. Consequently he looks like one our better players going into this year, while Wilson is gone

Oops, looked at his timeline to quick missed that.  Good catch. :) the 2 month old hanging with me may have distracted me.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I wasn't referring to your evaluation. You were on topic. And it was great info. I was referring to the ones who are constantly bringing in the "offers" rhetoric 

These guys haven't even completed there senior year so the rankings can change... last year the college station kid Donovan, was I believe a top 15 ranked kid and ended up at TVCC.. Again these lists change and we have to trust in the staff.

We can say these guys are borderline (to some of us they are) but this staff is more that happy to have them because we offered them. This staff is not here just phoning it in, this is a young staff that is coaching for their own futures.

In SL we trust. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1