Whomever they end up hiring...

Harry

Just now, Harry said:

I just hope everyone including the Johnny faction of fans will get behind him 120%.  I never felt like Benford was able to get the fans who admired what Johnny did on board.  

Seriously?

I remember talking on the phone with Emmitt after the UAH game (arguably the worst loss in program history) and we both said EVEN AFTER THAT, that it was too early to make a call.  I think I gave up on Benford late January/early February his first season.  And yet, I was still saying I hoped he'd figure it out his 2nd season.  I believe I even held out some hope into his 3rd before I really threw in the towel on him. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I just hope everyone including the pro-Johnny faction of fans will get behind him 120%.  I never felt like Benford was able to get the fans who admired what Johnny did on board.  

I got behind him right away.  There was some slight reservations due to his Buzz connections, but I figured him coming on board and bringing Evans with him was a good hire at the time.

Then, UA-H happened...

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I just hope everyone including the pro-Johnny faction of fans will get behind him 120%.  I never felt like Benford was able to get the fans who admired what Johnny did on board.  

Disagree. At coach's caravans and other such events leading up to the first season, Benford talked a big game and got a lot of folks excited. He just lost us quick by squandering away a season with "the best team in UNT history".

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Disagree. At coach's caravans and other such events leading up to the first season, Benford talked a big game and got a lot of folks excited. He just lost us quick by squandering away a season with "the best team in UNT history".

This.  I would disagree as well considering the media attention around the hiring of Benford.  Many outlets touted Benford as an up and coming coach.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Well I can only support at a 100% level, but why do I have to immediately have to buy in? Why does anyone have to buy in right away? We all deserve the right to wait and see.

Did not getting a few fans on board bring Benford down? Did it somehow cripple the basketball program? 

Benford crippled the program with his inability to coach & develop players. RV set the program WAY back by not dealing with it.

Now we are hoping that someone can come in and restore some credibility. Its a long road back to being good at basketball and it doesn't have one damn thing to do with whether or not I supported Benford when he got hired. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we need to respect our fans and their deliberate, thorough evaluation process. 

It may take a year, or two, or five for some fans to fully evaluate the state of things and make a decision on whether or not to support UNT basketball. And that's the right way to handle things. We're all UNT grads, and the correct way to handle this basketball program is the same way the school has taught us is best. 

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

... will fail miserably because no one cares if they are successful or not.

i think a lot of people care.  That why they are no shows at the game, it is to painful to watch. I thought Benford was good hire when he was announced.  About mid way through the first season I began losing hope and four years later I don't need an excuse for not showing up for a game.  I would say it can't get worse but I would be wrong.   Lets hope they hire a good coach and things improve.  So will here an announcement after the last game his contract will not be renewed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

i think a lot of people care.  That why they are no shows at the game, it is to painful to watch. I thought Benford was good hire when he was announced.  About mid way through the first season I began losing hope and four years later I don't need an excuse for not showing up for a game.  I would say it can't get worse but I would be wrong.   Lets hope they hire a good coach and things improve.  So will here an announcement after the last game his contract will not be renewed.

I'm not talking about fans. I'm talking about the UNT administration

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I hope things have changed but so far I have been a little disappointed.  I just hope i don't hear Tony is a good guy but injuries plagued the team so we are going to give him one year extension.  That would be the death of me.

Oh c'mon. There is no way that will happen. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

Not here. Not anywhere. 

You underestimate what UNT is.

6 minutes ago, Travis said:

UAH did it for me. It was only confirmed when I saw a game or two where I swear he looked like a deer in headlights. 

It was so obvious from year one, game one it isn't even funny. And this university made excuses for this miserable coach for 5 years.

Worse, they were perfectly fine letting 18 year old kids being hoodwinked in to participating in this disaster. 

If I was recruiting against UNT, I would point that out as often as possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You underestimate what UNT is.

You wouldn't wager on that would you? He will be fired. The only reason he was back this year is because we were still paying RV, Mac, and Peterson. 

I'm not saying this isn't a completely embarrassing cluster eff because it is. 

I used to go to 8-10 games a year. I've been to 3 in the last 5 years. 

I personally turned on RV New Years Eve before the first HOD Bowl in an Omni Hotel bar when he was was still fully supportive of TB. 

This has been epically bad and horribly mismanaged but TB's contract will not be renewed. He was a goner no matter what even before the season started. 

I gagree that we should get behind whoever we hire, but I'd disgagree that the fans never got behind Benford. I bought in to his coachspeak, and even bought season tickets his first year. I'm not even a basketball fan, and I bought season tickets, because I was a fan of JJ, and believed Benny would finish growing the program.

Then UAH happened. I'm not going to lie, as I listened to the end of that game, I thought we may have an issue, but I didn't still held out hope until the last few games of that year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

You wouldn't wager on that would you? He will be fired. The only reason he was back this year is because we were still paying RV, Mac, and Peterson. 

I'm not saying this isn't a completely embarrassing cluster eff because it is. 

I used to go to 8-10 games a year. I've been to 3 in the last 5 years. 

I personally turned on RV New Years Eve before the first HOD Bowl in an Omni Hotel bar when he was was still fully supportive of TB. 

This has been epically bad and horribly mismanaged but TB's contract will not be renewed. He was a goner no matter what even before the season started. 

Nothing at UNT would surprise me, including a 2 year extension because of all the bad luck poor Benford has had with injuries and team cancers, don't cha know. 

Would I bet on it? No. Would it surprise me if it happened? Not in the least.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2