MGB: The countdown of countdowns begins with UNT at No. 109

Brett Vito

I think the defense should be a lot better.  I don't think any of the losses on the defense are key and you add English.

Yes I was the one pumping up Chad Davis before the season, but he wasn't even used right by these coaches and he was very average.  There should be no drop off with Jenkins as the full time starter.  Jenkins should upgrade the spot this year if he improves.  

Anyone who paid attention to the secondary would have also seen the big drop off in Grays performance.  He was playing hurt, but it also looked like he struggled with some reads.  

Fred Scott also played hurt. He is decent when healthy. Should not touch the field if he is hurt. Yes he is smart, but whoever fills that spot will have had a second year to learn the defense and should be a better athlete.

At minimum, the defense should perform the same as last year.  Jenkins and Brooks are going to give up big plays vs good offenses, but hopefully Brooks can get his head around and get a few more picks.  If English and others can make a big impact in stopping the run and providing a pass rush, the safeties can focus more on stopping the pass, and the defense can improve.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Anyone who paid attention to the secondary would have also seen the big drop off in Grays performance.  He was playing hurt, but it also looked like he struggled with some reads.  

Fred Scott also played hurt. He is decent when healthy. Should not touch the field if he is hurt. Yes he is smart, but whoever fills that spot will have had a second year to learn the defense and should be a better athlete.

Speaking of paying attention. Pretty Fred Scott has exhausted his eligibility and I know he is not longer listed on the roster on meangreensports.com...

3 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

I think the defense should be a lot better.  I don't think any of the losses on the defense are key and you add English.

Yes I was the one pumping up Chad Davis before the season, but he wasn't even used right by these coaches and he was very average.  There should be no drop off with Jenkins as the full time starter.  Jenkins should upgrade the spot this year if he improves.  

At minimum, the defense should perform the same as last year.  Jenkins and Brooks are going to give up big plays vs good offenses, but hopefully Brooks can get his head around and get a few more picks.  If English and others can make a big impact in stopping the run and providing a pass rush, the safeties can focus more on stopping the pass, and the defense can improve.

The defense is worrisome because of the # of starters and experienced players... Scott, Davis, etc.. Just off the top of my head we played Hambome, Garner, EJ, and Khari.. yes they played to fill a few spots but we got to fill other spots along with depth...

That's my biggest worry

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seemed to me that you were talking of Scott like he will be here next season.

I think he was saying he expects Scott's replacement this year to play better than Scott last year while he was battling injuries.  Same with the other Seniors he mentioned.

• Upvote 1