UNT Announces 2016 Hall of Fame Class

Harry

1 hour ago, Green P1 said:

When does Casey Fitzgerald get in for his one year?

Two seasons. And he's second for all time rec yards, just about a 100 shy from Quinn who played 4 seasons. Third all time rec TDs, 1 shy of Quinn. First all time receptions.

Tellin ya, bowl games help. Todd Dodge'd.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Aldo said:

What I'm getting at is, the committee made their choice, and what a lot of folks on here are insinuating is that his death was a factor in his induction.

Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. I'm not about to argue one way or the other. That's disrespectful imo.

He led us to a bowl win and had rather average numbers. Scott Hall did the same and took us to three bowl games. How they did it shouldn't matter, it's what they did. Rare air at North Texas.

I'll go further than insinuating, I'll flat out say it. There were 16 All-conference players on the 2002 team with 10 of those being first team honors. Of those 16, only 4 are in the HOF (Kevin Galbreath, Brandon Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Jonas Buckles). Of the 12 that aren't in the HOF, 2 were 4-time all-conference (JR Randle, Nick Zuniga), 1 was 3-time all-conference (Adrian Awasome), and 6 were 2-time all-conference (Jeff Meunchow, Taylor Casey, Craig Jones, Matt Turney, Chris McIver, and Brad Kadlubar). 

I think the disrespectful part is to put Andrew Smith in the HOF ahead of the players that truly led the team to the 2002 NO Bowl because I'd bet my last dollar that if he doesn't die in that crash(with a BAC of .13), there is no way he gets in the HOF ahead of most of those guys, if he gets in at all. Don't forget, at the time of his death, he was set to back up Scott Hall again in 2004. 

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I'll go further than insinuating, I'll flat out say it. There were 16 All-conference players on the 2002 team with 10 of those being first team honors. Of those 16, only 4 are in the HOF (Kevin Galbreath, Brandon Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Jonas Buckles). Of the 12 that aren't in the HOF, 2 were 4-time all-conference (JR Randle, Nick Zuniga), 1 was 3-time all-conference (Adrian Awasome), and 6 were 2-time all-conference (Jeff Meunchow, Taylor Casey, Craig Jones, Matt Turney, Chris McIver, and Brad Kadlubar). 

What you are saying about teammates is valid, no doubt about that. Anyone involved in bowl runs should be given consideration (bowl runs = good players here), and bowl QBs always get special consideration as it is.

There's only so many names you can induct each year, give it time or write a letter to the committee (not sarcasm).

I was a huge fan of Giovanni Vizza and I was stunned when he quit.  But I'd be really annoyed if somehow he were nominated for the HoF. 

I think jersey numbers were retired more easily in the past because the athletic department didn't know what else to do for a player.  I personally think we should expect to have many many more top quality players.  And if we retire the number of each one we will need to start using letters instead of numerals.  Andrew Smith's 12 may not have  been used recently, but it is not retired. 

I think it would be a really great ceremony if the retired players or their families were to return the use of their number back to the University to be used for a special player at that position.  Similar to what the Dallas Cowboys do with #88.

GO MEAN GREEN

51 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I was a huge fan of Giovanni Vizza and I was stunned when he quit.  But I'd be really annoyed if somehow he were nominated for the HoF. 

I think jersey numbers were retired more easily in the past because the athletic department didn't know what else to do for a player.  I personally think we should expect to have many many more top quality players.  And if we retire the number of each one we will need to start using letters instead of numerals.  Andrew Smith's 12 may not have  been used recently, but it is not retired. 

I think it would be a really great ceremony if the retired players or their families were to return the use of their number back to the University to be used for a special player at that position.  Similar to what the Dallas Cowboys do with #88.

GO MEAN GREEN

I think this would be more of @Aldo's ring of honor idea (which I like, plus we partner with the Cowboys now). 3 of the numbers should certainly stay retired, Abner, Mean Joe, and Gill. Abner was a trailblazer, Mean Joe was the best player we've ever had, and Gill literally gave his life for our football team. I don't know enough about Renfro's NT days to make a call on whether his should be unretired or not.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

There were 16 All-conference players on the 2002 team with 10 of those being first team honors. Of those 16, only 4 are in the HOF (Kevin Galbreath, Brandon Kennedy, Cody Spencer, Jonas Buckles). Of the 12 that aren't in the HOF, 2 were 4-time all-conference (JR Randle, Nick Zuniga), 1 was 3-time all-conference (Adrian Awasome), and 6 were 2-time all-conference (Jeff Meunchow, Taylor Casey, Craig Jones, Matt Turney, Chris McIver, and Brad Kadlubar). 

Do you think any of those guys are 

1) against this, or 

2) upset they are in before he is?

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Do you think any of those guys are 

1) against this, or 

Probably not, because he was their friend(not a good reason for enshrinement).

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

2) upset they are in before he is?

Possibly, because some of those more deserving may never get in.

• Upvote 2