Silver lining

emmitt01

I'd rather have a coach someone else wants than not.  We've had enough "nots" many of our older alums adult lives since the late 1970's. 

Boise State lost 4 or  5(?) HFC's in the course of a little over a decade, but kept reloading with new ones who still kept the Broncos in the Top 25 after each coaching change.  It was amazing to observe that happening with their program. 

A UNT HFC needs  3-4 consecutive good recruiting classes, defeating a P5 or 2 or a ranked team for any school to look toward Denton again, but thats just my opinion on that subject. 

Seth Littrell will probably be our first HFC with apparent desires of staying who will use Apogee & the Mean Green Village as true positive selling points (which they truly are).  Not sure after McCarney had his stroke if he saw UNT as a long term job.  A stroke for many of middle age usually means a time to slow down or even retire.    

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Everyone worrying about where he is going when we don't even know if he can recruit to UNT. If he can't recruit to UNT, he can't win at UNT. Pretty simple. 

The cart is 5 miles ahead of the horse in this thread.

Haven't we seen this "Oh God we're going to lose our coach" theme just a few times, UNT90??

When I was much younger I was probably just as guilty!?

Best part of this is many give a damn to care.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you've been a UNT fan in the last 40 years, you've seen Fry and Moore get bought away, then have seen or heard whispers about coaches like Simon, Dickey, Dodge, and McCarney having any sustained success here against people that the college football world cares about leading to new jobs up the totem pole, like Johnny Jones did.

And then the success never happened. Until or unless recruiting can pick up here, Littrell will be no different. If he can do it, and the wins follow like it should, then he will have his choices of jobs at the P5 level. If not, and we have no idea if it can be done here with him or anyone else, quite frankly, then he will be a coordinator or position coach somewhere else. It always amazes me on here just how much people think we should be able to get great talent here because of our location and Texas HS football being a hotbed, yada, yada, yada...until it's done here, we are still going to be looking up at the other schools we want to be associated with athletically.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If you've been a UNT fan in the last 40 years, you've seen Fry and Moore get bought away, then have seen or heard whispers about coaches like Simon, Dickey, Dodge, and McCarney having any sustained success here against people that the college football world cares about leading to new jobs up the totem pole, like Johnny Jones did.

And then the success never happened. Until or unless recruiting can pick up here, Littrell will be no different. If he can do it, and the wins follow like it should, then he will have his choices of jobs at the P5 level. If not, and we have no idea if it can be done here with him or anyone else, quite frankly, then he will be a coordinator or position coach somewhere else. It always amazes me on here just how much people think we should be able to get great talent here because of our location and Texas HS football being a hotbed, yada, yada, yada...until it's done here, we are still going to be looking up at the other schools we want to be associated with athletically.

Couldn't have said it any better & had I tried it would have been much longer.?

We're all hoping Seth Littrell breaks this long cycle.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The problem isn't UNT, the problem has been who has been hired to recruit to UNT. 

Hopefully that changed with Littrell. We shall see.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I still refuse to believe that recruiting rankings are the be all end all. Our issues in Mac's final year were things behind the scenes. Littrell took one of the worst ranked recruiting classes and nearly beat one of the better G5 teams in a mid-tier bowl game. My two cents. If you get players who fit your system and you're a good enough coach, you overcome recruiting flaws. Much like if you're a bad coach but a good recruiter you don't magically win games (UT, for example.)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I still refuse to believe that recruiting rankings are the be all end all. Our issues in Mac's final year were things behind the scenes. Littrell took one of the worst ranked recruiting classes and nearly beat one of the better G5 teams in a mid-tier bowl game. My two cents. If you get players who fit your system and you're a good enough coach, you overcome recruiting flaws. Much like if you're a bad coach but a good recruiter you don't magically win games (UT, for example.)

Army is not one of the "better G5 teams".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

34 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Army wasn't "one of the better G5 teams." They were an average G5 team, as their 7-6 pre-bowl record indicated. 

Mac was ABSOLUTELY about recruiting. Don't you recall the multiple warnings from BillySee? 

Look bo further than Western Michigan, who had the 3 highest rated classes in their conference the last three years and are 12-0 and playing in the Cotton Bowl. 

It amazes me how people in this fan base will change facts and history to put a better face on this program.

Its like they never learn. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Yes, repeating something ENDLESSLY, doesn't necessarily make it true.

Well, hello sweetheart. 

Actually, it can. I mean I repeated endlessly how RV sucked and should be fired... And then he was... So...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

It amazes me how people in this fan base will change facts and history to put a better face on this program.

Its like they never learn.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Very millennial of you, though.

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Well, hello sweetheart.

And you get upset over perceived name calling.

Some people choose to look at a glass as half full, some choose to look at a glass as half empty.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You might loose games with good players, but you don't win games with bad ones. Bigger, stronger and faster trumps slower, shorter and weaker regardless of the system.

5 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

There is no end-all-be-all factor.  I don't think I've read anyone say that. People are trying to explain that having higher ranked recruits lends itself to a better chance to win.

Army is a quality bowl team, but I would not qualify them as a top G5 team.

I'd say that on our best Saturdays, Army was on par with better G5 teams: Road win at Temple, road win at Wake Forest, 66 points on the road at UTEP (yes, it was UTEP, but no one else scored 66 on them this year). 

On our worst Saturdays, we were far from that: loss at Buffalo, 7 turnovers in regular season vs you guys, loss to Notre Dame.

If you think Navy was among the best G5 teams this year, consider that we beat Temple on the road while Navy lost to them at home (note that Navy was already down 21-0 before QB was injured). Then consider that Navy beat ND and we got demolished by ND.  

And of course our special teams were far from a strength, especially after we lost starting kicker on opening KO at Buffalo. 

Edited by BeatNavy
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeatNavy said:

I'd say that on our best Saturdays, Army was on par with better G5 teams: Road win at Temple, road win at Wake Forest, 66 points on the road at UTEP (yes, it was UTEP, but no one else scored 66 on them this year). 

On our worst Saturdays, we were far from that: loss at Buffalo, 7 turnovers in regular season vs you guys, loss to Notre Dame.

If you think Navy was among the best G5 teams this year, consider that we beat Temple on the road while Navy lost to them at home (note that Navy was already down 21-0 before QB was injured). Then consider that Navy beat ND and we got demolished by ND.  

And of course our special teams were far from a strength, especially after we lost starting kicker on opening KO at Buffalo. 

Yeah, I don't get it either.  On Dec 3rd Temple and Navy were ranked in the top 25 and Army beat both?

Rick

• Upvote 1