Report: Major Applewhite hired at UH

DT 90

UH is in deep shit. They have overspent their athletic budget by about $100million and have already taken an exorbitant amount of money from their academic side, expecting to receive that B12 money. They had to take the safe route and go Applewhite. UH is so desperate reportedly Applewhite will lose a massive amount of his salary if he leaves as part of the contract. At some point the Texas legislature will come down on UH very hard and this hiring signals that UH is in shit financial straits.

They realized that they are going to remain a stepping stone and the P5 is a pipe dream, so did what has worked for the last decade plus rather than go for the jugular with a Les Miles type hire.

Plus, the mafia kingpin said they'd "renew the coaching search" if Major wins less than 9 games. This situation is a ticking time bomb. UH can thank Herman for their shitty spot.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

45 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UH is in deep shit. They have overspent their athletic budget by about $100million and have already taken an exorbitant amount of money from their academic side, expecting to receive that B12 money. They had to take the safe route and go Applewhite. UH is so desperate reportedly Applewhite will lose a massive amount of his salary if he leaves as part of the contract. At some point the Texas legislature will come down on UH very hard and this hiring signals that UH is in shit financial straits.

They realized that they are going to remain a stepping stone and the P5 is a pipe dream, so did what has worked for the last decade plus rather than go for the jugular with a Les Miles type hire.

Plus, the mafia kingpin said they'd "renew the coaching search" if Major wins less than 9 games. This situation is a ticking time bomb. UH can thank Herman for their shitty spot.

If what you say in the first 2 paragraphs is true, how exactly is this not on the school President?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

If what you say in the first 2 paragraphs is true, how exactly is this not on the school President?

Because Herman is the reason the team is not in the playoffs this year. Had they made the playoffs they would've had a substantial bump in money incoming this year that would offset the $100mil deficit.

Yet every time there was any controversy surrounding Herman's job the team would lose. UH was easily a top 4 team from top to bottom. It was almost as if he was interviewing instead of gameplanning.

Also what I said is true, Texas Tribune did a highly critical article on UH's athletic spending last year. The debt issue I heard on the radio this morning, except it was on 610 so all the UH homers will say it's not true.

Call me delusional, I'd much rather be in UNT's situation than UH's. Their research and academic spending has stalled after they reached Carnegie Top Tier, as has their endowment because they threw $100million from academics to athletics.

UNT's student body would've revolted if we had done that.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

49 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

After Hermans 2 yr honeymoon I am sure Apple has a major Buy Out! I also did not realize Lavine (?) is the OC at Wk and could be up for that job! How many of his recruits are still playing at UH?

11 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

After Hermans 2 yr honeymoon I am sure Apple has a major Buy Out! I also did not realize Lavine (?) is the OC at Wk and could be up for that job! How many of his recruits are still playing at UH?

The buyout is nuts--the next team would have to pay UH his remaining contract, and Applewhite would receive none of that remaining money. Fertita continues to live in the delusion that UH is a destination spot for coaches.

If he cares so much he needs to put his money where his mouth is and bankroll UH T. Boone Pickens style.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Because Herman is the reason the team is not in the playoffs this year. Had they made the playoffs they would've had a substantial bump in money incoming this year that would offset the $100mil deficit.

Banking on making the playoff was stupid, if that was the plan. There is absolutely no reason that any team should make that part of their planning for the future.

23 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Yet every time there was any controversy surrounding Herman's job the team would lose. UH was easily a top 4 team from top to bottom. It was almost as if he was interviewing instead of gameplanning.

UH was not easily a top 4 team. They may have been able to get into Cotton Bowl had they played better, but I don't see how they can be claimed as a top 4 team. It was obvious that Herman's constant involvement with openings or potential openings caused a lack of focus and lead to losses.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Also what I said is true, Texas Tribune did a highly critical article on UH's athletic spending last year. The debt issue I heard on the radio this morning, except it was on 610 so all the UH homers will say it's not true.

Call me delusional, I'd much rather be in UNT's situation than UH's. Their research and academic spending has stalled after they reached Carnegie Top Tier, as has their endowment because they threw $100million from academics to athletics.

UNT's student body would've revolted if we had done that.

I don't know.  After someone posted that puff piece on their President where she claimed to have taken them from an unknown commuter college to a nationally competitive university, I'd tend to think she was full of hot air and not much else.  This budget situation only reaffirms that, to me.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't know.  After someone posted that puff piece on their President where she claimed to have taken them from an unknown commuter college to a nationally competitive university, I'd tend to think she was full of hot air and not much else.  This budget situation only reaffirms that, to me.  

Khator totally deserves a lot of the blame. I think that a lot of it lays on Herman's feet though.

All of the UH trolls can downvote me all you'd like...what I posted are FACTS. UH is in deep shit financially because they banked on the Big 12. That's true, look at the books in the linked Texas Tribune article. They have been mooching off academics FOR YEARS.

23 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Banking on making the playoff was stupid, if that was the plan. There is absolutely no reason that any team should make that part of their planning for the future.

UH was not easily a top 4 team. They may have been able to get into Cotton Bowl had they played better, but I don't see how they can be claimed as a top 4 team. It was obvious that Herman's constant involvement with openings or potential openings caused a lack of focus and lead to losses.

Didn't say it was part of the plan. I'm saying that making the playoffs would've left them in a far superior spot than they are in now, had Herman not been dreaming of an #AustinTakeover they would be in the playoffs.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Asst head coach, co offensive coordinator & special teams.. is what read. I new he was ST before head coach! He did recruit well!

Okay, I see they gave him that title.  I really don't think he has that much to do with running the offense though--since Tyson Helton left, it was Jeff Brohm's offense, and he called all the plays, and Brian was his right hand man.  I don't know, but I wonder if the co-o.c. title had more to do with a salary bump than a significant increase in responsibilities.

Gracious me...there's plenty blame to go around but, the bottom line cause is greed. I have it, you have it, and UH fans have it. It just didn't work out this time. It worked for Baylor for a time and even SMU for a spell...I'm just thankful for a reminder from time to time.