Bowl Projections Update

GreenTexan13

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

In CUSA the champion picks his bowl game.  Then the remaining bowl eligible teams coordinate with the league office and the bowl committees to decide who goes were.  

This year the teams most likely to win the championship (LaTech, WKU, MTSU) would all want to play a B10 team in the HoD.  So if we want to play in that game we had better win the championship, otherwise it's probably the New Mexico Bowl.

ahhh... for some reason i thought the champ had to go to the Indepence Bowl... still might look better, pending who the ACC/SEC rep is

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

ahhh... for some reason i thought the champ had to go to the Indepence Bowl... still might look better, pending who the ACC/SEC rep is

No.  The champ used to go to the Liberty Bowl vs an SEC team.  In 2014 the bowl switched to a B12 vs SEC #4 matchup.  

Now there is no set game for the champion, they get first pick.  For the Indy bowl CUSA is a backup and is only eligible for a slot if the SEC and ACC can't fill it.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

In CUSA the champion picks his bowl game.  Then the remaining bowl eligible teams coordinate with the league office and the bowl committees to decide who goes were.  

This year the teams most likely to win the championship (LaTech, WKU, MTSU) would all want to play a B10 team in the HoD.  So if we want to play in that game we had better win the championship, otherwise it's probably the New Mexico Bowl.

ETA: If the Indy bowl become open and an attractive ACC/SEC team is there, they might choose that instead.  

Also, payouts likely affect where a team would want to play.   And the HoD Bowl is a big payout compared to the other bowls C-USA are tied to.

I thought the Indy bowl dropped C-USA as an affiliate?   Are we a 'backup' option if there aren't enough eligible ACC/SEC teams?

3 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Here's an update in bowl projections from a couple sources outside ESPN. Let's keep winning!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671469-college-football-playoff-standings-2016-week-9-rankings-bowl-game-projections

Bahamas Bowl Dec. 23 North Texas (4-3) vs. Eastern Michigan (5-3)

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/10/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-cfb-ncaa-bowl-games-schedule-predictions-latest-playoff-teams-conferences-sec-big-ten-acc-big-12-pac-12/

Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl
Iowa vs. North Texas Cotton Bowl Stadium
Dallas, TX Noon ESPN

OMG this would be a delicious win if we can get there and pull it out!!!

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, payouts likely affect where a team would want to play.   And the HoD Bowl is a big payout compared to the other bowls C-USA are tied to.

In CUSA bowl payouts work like this:

• All payouts from all bowl games go to the conference office.
  • The conference office covers the costs of all bowl teams.
  • The remaining money is shared among ALL MEMBERS, with the bowl eligible teams getting a larger share.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought the Indy bowl dropped C-USA as an affiliate?   Are we a 'backup' option if there aren't enough eligible ACC/SEC teams?

Yes.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Short notice?  Bowl Selection day is:  12/4.   HoD Bowl is 12/27.  That's plenty of time for most people. 
People go to the bowl game not because it's convenient (although, it would be VERY convenient for most UNT fans), they go because their Alma Mater / favorite team is in a bowl game!

Yes, short notice. Not everyone gets to just take vacation days when they want to or feel like it. Most people have to plan more than three weeks out to be able to take a day off on 12/27. A lot of people are also out of vacation time that late in the year. Again, We brought 37K plus to the last HOD bowl because it was a day off for most people. It was easier in the New Orleans Bowl days as that was our only bowl possibility so fans could plan well in advance.

Just now, Cerebus said:

In CUSA bowl payouts work like this:

• All payouts from all bowl games go to the conference office.
  • The conference office covers the costs of all bowl teams.
  • The remaining money is shared among ALL MEMBERS, with the bowl eligible teams getting a larger share.

Ah.  Nevermind.   Payouts won't mean squat, so yeah, it will come down to potential matchups.  

If it comes down to the NM Bowl, I'm still holding out hope for that COSt rematch.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Eagle-96 said:

Yes, short notice. Not everyone gets to just take vacation days when they want to or feel like it. Most people have to plan more than three weeks out to be able to take a day off on 12/27. A lot of people are also out of vacation time that late in the year. Again, We brought 37K plus to the last HOD bowl because it was a day off for most people. It was easier in the New Orleans Bowl days as that was our only bowl possibility so fans could plan well in advance.

Well, if one is a resident to DFW and don't attend a game vs a big10 opponent at the HOD bowl you're wrong. Take a sick day, conjure up an excuse, or just be honest to boss man and tell him/her what's up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I can't speak for all professions, but that time of year is super-light in my world (week between Christmas & New Years is virtually dead), and easy to take off.

But you mean to say a person could not take a single day off of work with a 3-week notice?   You must be in a much tougher industry than me.

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

ETA: If the Indy bowl become open and an attractive ACC/SEC team is there, they might choose that instead.  

That's how it should be. Although, a bowl game in DFW is a no brainer for this fanbase to get involved and attend. If I was a bowl committee I'd choose UNT and then LaTech if NT can't be chosen.. just based on bringing in a closer fanbase... Equaling more money. The 2014 New years HOD bowl had over 38k with basically just UNT fans having to cover attendance. I'm seeing that the HOD bowl game last December was a 20k SoMiss attendance if I'm no mistaken. It seems only logical to pick North Texas if we are bowl eligible. 

17 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No.  The champ used to go to the Liberty Bowl vs an SEC team.  In 2014 the bowl switched to a B12 vs SEC #4 matchup.  

Now there is no set game for the champion, they get first pick.  For the Indy bowl CUSA is a backup and is only eligible for a slot if the SEC and ACC can't fill it.  

sweet, thanks for the insight

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, if one is a resident to DFW and don't attend a game vs a big10 opponent at the HOD bowl you're wrong. Take a sick day, conjure up an excuse, or just be honest to boss man and tell him/her what's up. 

I only take sick days if I'm sick. I'm not gonna lie to my boss and expect he won't lie to me either. What's up is, I have a responsibility in my job to be there when expected.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I can't speak for all professions, but that time of year is super-light in my world (week between Christmas & New Years is virtually dead), and easy to take off.

But you mean to say a person could not take a single day off of work with a 3-week notice?   You must be in a much tougher industry than me.

Sadly a lot of people are in that boat(can't take off on short notice, out of vacation days)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Working in the employer benefits world, I can't take off during this time of the year unless it's an emergency, planned months in advance (around September is when they stopped approving for November/December off days), or if you're truly sick (not that they'll check on you). Most employers have a 1/1/201x effective date for their benefits so open enrollment season is around November - December and then it's rush, rush, rush (!!!) to get everything launched... Doesn't make for the easiest holiday season but the rest of the year is relatively quiet. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I only take sick days if I'm sick. I'm not gonna lie to my boss and expect he won't lie to me either. What's up is, I have a responsibility in my job to be there when expected.

Sadly a lot of people are in that boat(can't take off on short notice, out of vacation days)

I get it. You are a work prioritizes your life kind of person. You either work to live or live to work. If we make that bowl I'll be a work to live type of guy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I get it. You are a work prioritizes your life kind of person. You either work to live or live to work. If we make that bowl I'll be a work to live type of guy. 

On the contrary I work to live. It pays my bills and allows me to have the things I want/like. But I am also not willing to be dishonest with my boss. My boss knows that if I call in sick then it's something serious. I also know that when I call in sick it puts a heavier workload on my co-workers than they would normally have and that's not fair to them bowl game or not. 

BTW: I did not downvote your post

• Upvote 7

Getting the cart before the horse,assume that La. Tech goes to the New Orleans Bowl, and we are bowl eligible with a 6&6 record. WK and MTSU would probable select ahead or us, and maybe Old Dominion and So. Miss., who both  4&3.If we are 7&5 we probably have an outside chance of staying in Dallas, otherwise at 6&6 Albuquerque looks like  our best option.

23 minutes ago, wardly said:

Getting the cart before the horse,assume that La. Tech goes to the New Orleans Bowl, and we are bowl eligible with a 6&6 record. WK and MTSU would probable select ahead or us, and maybe Old Dominion and So. Miss., who both  4&3.If we are 7&5 we probably have an outside chance of staying in Dallas, otherwise at 6&6 Albuquerque looks like  our best option.

Gotta assume most of those other teams ahead of us would chose the HoD bowl if they had their druthers.   If the HoD Bowl has any say, and I think they do, they'll beg/borrow/steal to get North Texas to come fill their coffers again.

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

Its probably more about T.V. ratings than butts in seats.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think TV ratings will be driven by the C-USA team playing in this game. That will most likely be determined by with B10 team plays in the HOD although, if you are looking at TV ratings, I find it hard to believe North Texas, with its huge alumni base and being in one of the largest markets in the country, wouldn't pull better ratings than any other C-USA teams on a consistent basis. If UNT is playing the HOD against a B10 team, I wouldn't be surprised if the count of green shirts in the stands was around 30k but many Dallas area folk as well as Mean Green fans following on their TVs as a way to check out UNT football without spending anything.

From a date/time standpoint, I imagine most of the fans in the stands for UNT will be students and new alumni. Should still be a good turnout if we can make it there considering how large this school is.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

sorry but 11am on a day when 50+% of America is hungover can't be any worse than a Tuesday during the week between Xmas and NYE.

I don't know.  There were a lot of hangovers going on at the 2014 HOD Bowl, and if I remember, it was an early kickoff too.  The difference being that it was an actual holiday.  GIven that Christmas is on a Sunday this year, having that Tuesday off isn't too much of a stretch.  Most places I've worked for the better part of a decade have given two days off for Christmas. 

The real question shouldn't be which bowl is better.. it should be can we go out and have a solid game and build alot of momentum going into the winter/spring. I would hate for us to play someone like Iowa and they just destroy us(not saying it will happen, but just saying). It could really hurt the progress and the arrow of this team, and the people who are just now getting behind it. I trust the staff to pick and go with the best bowl game that they can. 

But we need something to build on and give us a lot of momentum going into recruiting season before signing day that can carry over to the spring as well. 

If we did elect the HOD Bowl, could we bring in recruits? I know most likely not but just wanting confirm if we can or can not.