Bowl prediction

mgfan

52 minutes ago, Udomann said:

At this point, there's no denying that ANYTHING is just gravy for this team. Any win, bowls, losses, whatever. We already exceeded expectation, so we already succeeded.

Let's succeed some more!

Gravy?  You talk to us about mere gravy?  

Why, I've already started the crowd funding for the bronze statue of Seth Littrell to be place at the main entrace of Apogee Stadium.  

I've commissioned Denton City Council to rename Bonnie Brae, Wren Road. 

I've mailed in an application to open a Pizza Inn franchise on Eagle drive.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Honest question and I don't want to be negative BUT, IF we beat Army and UTSA which can realistically happen if we play like we did against Marshall, and we go into the final month of the season 5-3 but we end up losing all remaining games which can also realistically happen (Aaron Jones can take over a game and anything can happen on any given Saturday), do we end the season in disappointment that we got so close and just couldn't finish it or in optimism that we were 1-11 a year ago? What's the sentiment following a season like that considering the previous campaign? I would feel so giddy and excited heading into the final month that I would have to feel a bit disappointed that we couldn't get that one final win.Thoughts?

we have exceeded my expectations for the year.  I want to see the team get better every week and I think next year could be a special year for us.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Going Bowling would be great. Not least because of the extra practice time SL and his bunch would get to implement their system. That would come in handy next season.

this... more practice/more reps for the team as a whole, for Fine to keep getting his looks, for backups who haven't been in, for those who have had injuries this year, for recruiting...

making a bowl means a ton, even if you are stuck in the bahamas bowl.

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

If we do go bowling my prediction is the New Mexico Bowl. I feel like C-USA will want to put their best foot forward in the HoD bowl and will send the conference champion (most likely MTSU). LA Tech is the natural choice for the New Orleans Bowl, which leaves the New Mexico Bowl as the next logical choice for UNT. 

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If we do go bowling my prediction is the New Mexico Bowl. I feel like C-USA will want to put their best foot forward in the HoD bowl and will send the conference champion (most likely MTSU). LA Tech is the natural choice for the New Orleans Bowl, which leaves the New Mexico Bowl as the next logical choice for UNT. 

Sounds logical, but conferences don't pick what team goes where. The bowl committees for the specific bowl does. Attendance and tv ratings are huge factors in their choosing and that committee knows if they select UNT at least 40-50k in green will attend. Since its would be a local game we would fair better there too. 

2 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I feel like C-USA will want to put their best foot forward in the HoD bowl and will send the conference champion (most likely MTSU). 

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sounds logical, but conferences don't pick what team goes where. The bowl committees for the specific bowl does. 

In CUSA the conference champion has the right to select which bowl it wants.  After that there is no set order for the rest of the bowls.  The league works with the bowl committees to decide who goes were.  

Our best bet would be either for the SEC and ACC to not have enough bowl teams eligible to fill all their slots, and leave the Independence Bowl open for CUSA to claim the backup agreement.   I think LaTech and everyone east of them would want that game vs a SEC/ACC school instead of coming to Dallas to face a low level B10 team. 

I know the HoD folks would love for us to fall to them because we would bring 30,000 to  40,000 fans.  

In other words: If we get bowl eligible and the CUSA champion doesn't select the HoD bowl, we will be there.

First things first though, let us win a fourth game.  

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sounds logical, but conferences don't pick what team goes where. The bowl committees for the specific bowl does. Attendance and tv ratings are huge factors in their choosing and that committee knows if they select UNT at least 40-50k in green will attend. Since its would be a local game we would fair better there too. 

Actually, teams have the choice of where they want to play. All the bowls can do is extend an invite. C-USA will have to decide if they want to have a big crowd (UNT) or let the conference champion play in the league's premier bowl game, in terms of opponent.

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think LaTech and everyone east of them would want that game vs a SEC/ACC school instead of coming to Dallas to face a low level B10 team.

I would imagine there has to be a clause stating the C-USA champion has to play in a bowl game tied to C-USA. Maybe not though...

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Way too early to be talking a bowl.  These writers need something to write about, but it is way too early especially considering how some of the mighty have fallen this year.

Thing is the websites they write for all start predicting bowl match ups after week one. Not sure how many of the writers actually think these "predictions " are valid. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Actually, teams have the choice of where they want to play. All the bowls can do is extend an invite. C-USA will have to decide if they want to have a big crowd (UNT) or let the conference champion play in the league's premier bowl game, in terms of opponent.

The premier bowl game is probably the Independence bowl in Shreveport against an ACC or SEC team.

Minnesota is currently predicted to play the HOD bowl and they sit at 3-2. I would love for us to play a team like them, Indiana, or Purdue (who all sit at 3-2) who are lower tier P5 programs. It could make for a very competitive game and one we could win if we make it to bowl contention given we continue improving. Now THAT would make for an amazing season.

1 hour ago, sgmthompson said:

The Bahamas Bowl would be a gift from God

Thaddeous Thompson's Father here, and we are of Bahamian decent, a lot of family there, and that would be awesome to play there.

Thaddeous is named after his Bahamian Grandfather!!!

Love how Thaddeus has stepped up this year.  You should be extremely proud, which I am sure you are.  Love his tenacity.

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Thing is the websites they write for all start predicting bowl match ups after week one. Not sure how many of the writers actually think these "predictions " are valid. 

Exactly!

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I would imagine there has to be a clause stating the C-USA champion has to play in a bowl game tied to C-USA. Maybe not though...

There were some changes to the HOD Bowl and some others right around when we played ours.  I forget if the contract had the champ being offered and then switched to committee preference or vice versa.  Somebody on here had the details...some of the bowls are fairly locked in contractually and others aren't.  I don't have the time to keep up with all of that, but I do remember a couple of people posted as things changed so that we could better understand our chances to land in given bowls that year and the one that followed.

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The premier bowl game is probably the Independence bowl in Shreveport against an ACC or SEC team.

Minnesota is currently predicted to play the HOD bowl and they sit at 3-2. I would love for us to play a team like them, Indiana, or Purdue (who all sit at 3-2) who are lower tier P5 programs. It could make for a very competitive game and one we could win if we make it to bowl contention given we continue improving. Now THAT would make for an amazing season.

That would be great to play back in the Cotton Bowl against a BIG10 opponent like Indiana (I'm sure that'd be fun for Littrell against his old boss Kevin Wilson and the Hoosiers). Let's win one at a time first!

Edited by UNT Mean Green