Mason's Performance

FireFightnJoey

41 minutes ago, FireFightnJoey said:

I've had time to think about Mason and his performance and I have to say that I think he made a lot of mature decisions. The pockets were collapsing quick.  I can't say I've seen that many collapse like that so often in a game. They were rushing two every time it seemed. We couldn't even get the running game going through that line.  I agree with those calling for slants.  The way they were rushing us, that seems the perfect play to counter it.

With all that, he could have tried to run outside and get squirley. I think that would have resulted in bigger losses and turn overs. He kept his cool and kept the loss of yards manageable. He only threw one INT and it was the one time that his inexperience and youth showed.  It's not that he chose to not throw the ball in many cases because we know he didn't have time. 

When he did have time he made great plays. There were some very well thrown deep routes.  I'm starting to think he's the best option and really excited about it. I haven't been excited about QB in so long it sure does feel good. I think he's going to find his rhythm and we will be in for a show. 

Our WRs made some good plays. If our O line can gel and get better, coupled with this defense, I have faith this could be a promising year for the team. 

There are so many talents that Fine has but attitude and aptitude are at the top! The Florida game was a great experience for him! I still don't understand the lack slants this whole season! Maybe timing has not been there! I really look forward to the Rice game for all of us to see the real Fine! GMG 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

If anyone doubted the "Man of Steel" moniker he bore out of high school, those should be put to rest.

+1        I kind of like the "Man of Steel" moniker. 

Florida blasts Fine over and over again, but it's their QB who gets hurt while they try to run up the score. 

Ironic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, casual fan said:

+1        I kind of like the "Man of Steel" moniker. 

Florida blasts Fine over and over again, but it's their QB who gets hurt while they try to run up the score. 

Ironic.

I don't think they were trying to run up the score.   Del Rio needed lots of reps because he was not very good.   Neither was his replacement.

Florida is going to lose a lot of very low-scoring games in conference play.  That defense is the real deal, but their QB play is not very good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have a feeling seeing the speed and strength of Florida, arguably the best defense in the country, will start to slow things down for him tremendously for conference play. Nick Mullens looked a lot like Fine as a freshman, and now he's the best QB in the conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fine in the same position in a couple years

• Upvote 6

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think they were trying to run up the score.   Del Rio needed lots of reps because he was not very good.   Neither was his replacement.

Florida is going to lose a lot of very low-scoring games in conference play.  That defense is the real deal, but their QB play is not very good.

Risking your starting QB by throwing long in a game that is clearly decided with 1 minute to go in the 3rd quarter???

They were trying to run up the score for the sake of a higher ranking.  It came back to bit them.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Risking your starting QB by throwing long in a game that is clearly decided with 1 minute to go in the 3rd quarter???

They were trying to run up the score for the sake of a higher ranking.  It came back to bit them.

I really don't think so.    Del Rio was terrible and needed more reps.   Look at his stats:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Luke Del Rio 14/25 186 7.4 0 1 46.5

Not "risking your starting QB" or trying to "run up the score"...  trying to get a bad QB some more reps, because he's bad and needs to improve.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really don't think so.    Del Rio was terrible and needed more reps.   Look at his stats:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT QBR
Luke Del Rio 14/25 186 7.4 0 1 46.5

Not "risking your starting QB" or trying to "run up the score"...  trying to get a bad QB some more reps, because he's bad and needs to improve.

The week before against Kentucky, Del Rio threw for 320 yards and 4 TDs.

In the 4th quarter, Del Rio threw a 28 yd TD to put Florida up 45-0.

Was that running up the score?  If so, that's what they were trying to do to us.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, casual fan said:

The week before against Kentucky, Del Rio threw for 320 yards and 4 TDs.

In the 4th quarter, Del Rio threw a 28 yd TD to put Florida up 45-0.

Was that running up the score?  If so, that's what they were trying to do to us.

Maybe UNT should have played Kentucky!   
Didn't change the fact that Del Rio is not a very good QB and needs all the work he can get before starting SEC play.   Unfortunately, he's going to miss a few weeks.   I'm betting Appleby will not play well in the meantime, and they'll be glad to have Del Rio back.  But he's going to look terrible again when he plays LSU.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I have a feeling seeing the speed and strength of Florida, arguably the best defense in the country, will start to slow things down for him tremendously for conference play. Nick Mullens looked a lot like Fine as a freshman, and now he's the best QB in the conference. Wouldn't be surprised to see Fine in the same position in a couple years

I agree and is probably why he played the entire game.  Rest of the season should be comparatively "easy".  Let's say "less difficult".

35 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Huh? That's a pretty common tactic. Make the other guys punt it, especially deep in their own end. 

I believe the complaint is that Florida wanted to run up a score in a game where we would not be able to come back from 19 points down. I do agree with you that calling timeouts in that situation is nothing to be angry about. With an entire half left to go, you want to make sure the opposing team is buried before you take your foot off the pedal. Crazy comeback wins happen all the time and you always want to play to win.

• Upvote 1

Fine didn't get a lot of time to show much, but I think we certainly learned some things about him.

1. He's tough. The kid can take a shot and bounce back without flinching.

2. He doesn't crack under pressure. On one of college football's biggest stages, "the Swamp", he did a good overall job of blocking out the distractions and protecting the ball. Just one pick.

3. He has a short memory. He didn't dwell on bad plays, he just kept positive and tried to make some plays.

I can't wait to see what Fine can do against C-USA level competition.

As for some play calling that might help this offense... I'd like to see a stretch read pass option, like Payton Manning and Edgerrin James used to run in Indy. I think that would be very effective for us.

• Upvote 7

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, MGNation92 said:

We could very well be on a similar path as USM for sure. I think we may be able to do it a little quicker, as we have a better staff and more resources than USM did at the time when Monken took over. Love the Fine to Mullens comparison!