What do you know of our next opponent (Florida Gators)?

All About UNT

1. Pretty sure Cougar Queen has been banned from their board.

2. Gainesville also known as "Hogtown". Not sure if it has to do with coeds.

3. Gainesville ranked as one of the 30 worst cities in America for families. Todd Dodge DOES NOT APPROVE.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2016 at 9:51 PM, UNT90 said:

I like Jorts...

It's funny how some of the younger folk don't realize that Floroda was the Kansas of the SEC for a verrrry long time.

Remind me, when did it turn and who finally turned it? Was it the university finally making a commitment? 

Inquiring minds...

The University of Florida had no real success in Football until  Spurrier arrived.   We had winning seasons and the like, but we really weren't relevant in the championship discussion until The Visored one came home.

Since that time, UF has made a name for itself not only in football, but also basketball, and has been one of the top overall athletic programs in the country.   The academic reputation has also improved during that same time.   

We are fortunate and happy to be in the place we are now.   But, in the past, it is true, we were not so much.

LL

On 9/12/2016 at 9:11 PM, Army of Dad said:

They still allow people to leave at the half and rush over to the bars to pound a couple and return for second half?

No.

LL

• Upvote 3

When you say a school has tradition, it seems to me that apparently you had to have it back in the mid 20th century.   Schools like Notre Dame and Michigan...no one doubts they have tradition today, but they haven't been all that in the last 25 years or so.  In fact, in terms of championships, they haven't done jack squat.   However nobody doubts their tradition.  Last Notre Dame Championship was 1988 and Michigan had half of one in 1997.   Other than that....nothing.  So, if you had it back then, you can never lose it even though you haven't been very good for two decades.

On the other hand, if your "tradition" is relatively recent...say in the last 30 years or so, then you can't claim tradition, because....well, you just can't apparently.

Some schools, like Alabama, have tradition over the entire time span, of course.  But apparently just in football.

Still trying to figure this tradition thing out.

LL

• Upvote 3

On 9/14/2016 at 7:13 PM, LeapingLizard said:

When you say a school has tradition, it seems to me that apparently you had to have it back in the mid 20th century.   Schools like Notre Dame and Michigan...no one doubts they have tradition today, but they haven't been all that in the last 25 years or so.  In fact, in terms of championships, they haven't done jack squat.   However nobody doubts their tradition.  Last Notre Dame Championship was 1988 and Michigan had half of one in 1997.   Other than that....nothing.  So, if you had it back then, you can never lose it even though you haven't been very good for two decades.

On the other hand, if your "tradition" is relatively recent...say in the last 30 years or so, then you can't claim tradition, because....well, you just can't apparently.

Some schools, like Alabama, have tradition over the entire time span, of course.  But apparently just in football.

Still trying to figure this tradition thing out.

LL

Our tradition could be summarized by the school itself almost never acknowledging the great achievements of its many famous graduates.  As an example, the UNT alum who wrote the recent "Texas Monthly" article about Larry McMurtry mentioned being pissed that his English teachers there never mentioned McMurtry being a UNT alum.  Hey, at least they brought Dr. Phil back to give a commencement address.

Edited by eulessismore

9 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Our tradition could be summarized by the school itself almost never acknowledging the great achievements of its many famous graduates.  As an example, the UNT alum who wrote the recent "Texas Monthly" article about Larry McMurtry mentioned being pissed that his English teachers there never mentioned McMurtry being a UNT alum.  Hey, at least they brought Dr. Phil back to give a commencement address.

What's hilarious about McMurtry is that I HAVE A MASTERS IN ENGLISH, pretty much spent six years of my life in the Auditorium building. I never saw a single thing talking about McMurtry in the building, nor did anyone ever even mention him in any of my classes. It's stunning.

55 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

What's hilarious about McMurtry is that I HAVE A MASTERS IN ENGLISH, pretty much spent six years of my life in the Auditorium building. I never saw a single thing talking about McMurtry in the building, nor did anyone ever even mention him in any of my classes. It's stunning.

It's almost like the admin doesn't want people to know who actually attended here. Famous alums should be celebrated not hidden in broom closets.

5 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

It's almost like the admin doesn't want people to know who actually attended here. Famous alums should be celebrated not hidden in broom closets.

Reading this, it occured to me that something could be attempted. The impetus would most likely have to come from Smatty's level.

How about attempting to organize a "Celebrity Alumni Homecoming"?

• Upvote 1