Season Outlook- 5 Years Ago

jtm0097

I thought it would be interesting to post this article from the start of the McCarney era. It's kind of sad that the program is in almost an identical state. However, I think we are finally moving in the right direction. 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6864586/unt-football-embracing-change-new-coach-dan-mccarney

• Upvote 2

The thing about a coaching change is that it typically brings excitement and positivity, usually because you've replaced a coach who has been fired. A lot of people, especially media and fans, want to be able to say that they believed in the new hire from Day One. However, the reality that you deal with is that you usually see a new coach take over kids that aren't a good fit for their schemes.  Dodge and his spread offense took over Dickey's Buick offense. It never really worked. Then, McCarney's offensive scheme was Buick II, taking over from Dodge's SLC offense, but it took a while to see it work out, but when those Dodge recruits graduated, we replaced them with very little talent, built for an offensive scheme that Knute Rockne felt was boring. Now, Littrell's high-octane offensive strategy has to put these Buick II parts and put them into his gameplan, realizing that he just needs to get competition and a new mindset going in the right direction. My guess is that the only way this works for Littrell here is if he can get HS recruits here to come in and fill in the holes in the years ahead.

I'll say it again, but Seth Littrell is coaching here for 3-4 years, max. He either pulls off the rebuild and gets hired away, or he doesn't, like Dodge didn't, and he gets let go of with a year left on his contract. If the latter occurs, it would be so helpful for the next regime if they aren't having to take over a roster that is at a FCS level, both in numbers and talent, which is what Mac left Littrell and company.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I thought it would be interesting to post this article from the start of the McCarney era. It's kind of sad that the program is in almost an identical state. However, I think we are finally moving in the right direction. 

http://www.espn.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6864586/unt-football-embracing-change-new-coach-dan-mccarney

This is the problem. We start a new era about every four years at North Texas, full of optimism, hype, and new slogans. If Littrell can turn things around, it will be the second miracle. Since i have been following North Texas football in 1971, every coach but two have been fired.  The odds are stacked against us tremendously.

But here we all are, still hoping.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

You can bet that Graham Harrell sees himself as successor to Seth in the long haul if everything else works out

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If this thing works, and Littrell is poached by a P5... for continuity's sake, I hope you're right.

If this offense takes off, it wouldn't surprise me to see Harrell snapped up before Littrell.

• Upvote 2