North Texas Football Uniforms

ADLER

On 7/5/2016 at 4:46 PM, UNTLifer said:

Rick, I think your time line is off a bit. Weren't we Forrest green through all of the DD years?

Rick was pointing out when the forest green started, not when it ended.  Matt Simon brought it in when he arrived in '94, and it continued through the Dickey years.

If you look at the sample size of UNT, Oregon, and Baylor it appears that teams with green as a primary color struggle with consistency more than any other primary school color.  There is so much temptation to fiddle with the shade of green that you end up with a multitude of shades over the years.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If you look at the sample size of UNT, Oregon, and Baylor it appears that teams with green as a primary color struggle with consistency more than any other primary school color.  There is so much temptation to fiddle with the shade of green that you end up with a multitude of shades over the years.

i think the different shades of a primary color affect a lot of schools. the difference between us and them is, is the different color being affected on the actual uniform or on the merchandise being sold

On July 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM, UNTexas said:

Kelley green was used until 93 then Simon demanded it be switched for 94. He also started trying to use Navy blue whenever he could. None of the players were happy either. He didn't care though. We always had terrible branding back then. It's getting better though.

Perfect example of why outsiders shouldn't be allowed to come to North Texas and dictate changes to our colors, branding, traditions, ect. Those Simon era colors and clip art logos were a travesty and ran counter to our entire University and Athletics history.

• Upvote 3

Food for thought...

I used the color picker on my Mac and whipped up some stuff in Photoshop to check on which greens being used around the web were correct, or at least close to correct.

The shade of green @Harry uses for the banners on GMG is the same RGB values as what UNT uses on their Brand Identity website, as www.meangreensports.com and on the new UNT homepage www.unt.edu.

Pantone 356 is an Emerald green, Pantone 355 is a Kelly Green and Pantone 357 is a Forest green.

If anything, my Heart of Dallas Bowl shirt that I thought was too dark is most correct, and my Fouts Field Finale, Mean Green Stadium and Pit Crew shirts are all too light.

As far as I can tell the player's workout shorts and the green on the sleeves of the coach's polos are the right green.

I Googled and found this NT Daily photo that shows how Chico's shirt is the correct green, and that banner is too light. Not sure if the banner is just plain wrong, or if it looks lighter because there's always light coming through from behind it.

Newfootballcoach-500x500_c.jpg

In this photo that I took at the Littrell intro press conference, again, note the color difference from the backdrop to the helmet, which has always been right. The darkest shade of green in Smatresk's official UNT Tartan pattern tie is also correct. (Again though, not sure if banner is wrong or just looks light from light coming through behind it.)

BX062_372B_9.jpg

From what I can tell in this photo from the @UNTPrez twitter account, Smatresk's Kilt and tartan socks are the correct shade of green. As are the walls in the Bookstore. But NOT those cheap shirts on the bottom row.

CfYuCphUMAAWhXO.jpg

Incidentally, I think the reason we used the Forest Green for the 05-06 seasons was because of the cost for new uniforms and repainting all the helmets at the time. The current UNT shade of green was introduced in April 2005 as part of the new branding, including the SOW. It then took two entire football seasons, a new coach and a football uniform supplier change to roll that color out onto the football team.

• Upvote 3

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 4:32 AM, SilverEagle said:

Tell that to Baylor......or Oregon for that matter.

In Oregon's case, Phil Knight, creator of Nike, being an Oregon alum, makes huge donations to the college. For football, he designs and all the uniforms free of charge. In exchange, Oregon, and a few other schools, volunteer to test Nike products in development to see if it's viable. 

It was being one of the test schools and our success last season that inspired Nike to do Portland State's rebrand and provide new uniforms for the coming season.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, caseyorourke said:

In Oregon's case, Phil Knight, creator of Nike, being an Oregon alum, makes huge donations to the college. For football, he designs and all the uniforms free of charge. In exchange, Oregon, and a few other schools, volunteer to test Nike products in development to see if it's viable. 

It was being one of the test schools and our success last season that inspired Nike to do Portland State's rebrand and provide new uniforms for the coming season.

Yeah test the products on athletes... UT has something similar. Buddy of mine hurt his foot as a freshman. He was on track/cc scholarship. Never ran the same again.