Why don't we schedule UTA?

class84

We had a really good rivalry with them in the Southland Conference days. Even with the goofiest basketball facility known to man, they have managed to put together a decent program, and should be good this year (ESPN magazine picks them #61).

This should be a no-brainer on the schedule every year for us. What happened to cause the series to be dropped? We all gripe at SMU for not playing us in football; I'd hate to think that we are "big-timing" UTA in the same way.

NT should never play UTA in Arlington. Have you actually sat in the seats on the stage? If a player runs 2 steps pass the end of the court he hits a brick wall behind each basket. If they go 5 steps off the auditorium side of the court they step into a orchestra pit. Its flat dangerous.

Secondly: Have you ever set on the stage behind the visitors side and seen what they do or at least did when I attended the last NT game there. They can lean over the railing, each out with a metal garbage can lid (over the top of a visiting players head) and bang the lid with a tire tool.

I have seen them reach out and hold dead chicken corpses over a players head with blood dripping on the player.

Yelling racial taunts at the black players including our black coach at the time Jimmy Gales.

I taught at UTA full time for three years back then and later had a CPA practice in Arlington, was even Treasurer of the Pecan Bowl there....but I would never want my NT team to play them in Arlington in that "place" they use for a BB court.

Now we sound like the "big time" schools that refuse to play at Fouts.  tongue.gif

I can't blame them for not wanting to play at Fouts, my high school stadium is better. The same with the stage at UTA, it's not up to D-1 standards. We need a new football stadium, and UTA needs a real gym.

'At least Fouts is a real football stadium and playing football in it was its intended purpose. Playing basketball at Texas Hall would be like UNT playing Bball on the Auditorium Bldg. stage.'

I agree with UNTLifer. It is apples and oranges... Fouts is not a parking lot with turf on it. UTA plays in a theater. It is very weird. This is not big timing them. They can come play us at home.

Can't you people see it is "dangereous" to play there. You can run into a brick wall 2 steps past the Basket, you can step into an orchestra pit if you go 4 to 5 steps past the sideline. On the other sideline the players feet on the bench are only 1 or 2 steps off the sideline.

I don't call that snobery.

Edited by OldTimer

Maybe we could get SI to name Fouts as the best place to watch a football game next laugh.gif

No pics (of course) but here is the info from their site on Texas Hall:

TEXAS HALL

Capacity - 4,500

Located off Nedderman Drive on the Campus of UT-Arlington

Home of Lady Mavericks Volleyball

Home of Lady Mavericks Basketball

Home of Mavericks Basketball

Named "The Best Place in America to Watch College Basketball" by Sports Illustrated in 1997, Texas Hall is the home to UTA's men's and women's basketball and volleyball teams. Possibly the most unique setting for intercollegiate events in the nation, the Mavericks¹ home court seats 4,200 and allows fans two areas of seating that allow for two radically different ways to watch the game. One side of the court gives the UTA faithful the opportunity to sit in plush, theater-style seating while watching the action on the elevated floor. This means that fans will never have to yell, "Down in front!" since the action is taking place a few feet higher then them. Imagine rock concert meets run-n-gun offense. The other side of the court is for the fan who wants to be close up to the event. With seats just a few feet from the court, fans in the bleacher area are right on top of the action. Texas Hall is also equipped with one of the best sound and lighting systems around, contributing to an atmosphere that makes "Ball at the Hall" one of the most exciting and unique experiences for fans, student-athletes, coaches and everyone else involved.