Sun Belt dumping Idaho and NMSU

greenb.o.g.

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I've wondered about this for a long time. For G5s, it's always gonna come down to how much money you spend (both administration and alumni) to keep you going. This is where your UH, SMU, East Carolina, UCF, and USF have a huge advantage. 

We know where we stand on this in Denton.

Selling your soul and being a punching bag for Power 5 institutions just to get a big paycheck is counter-intuitive in my view. If you have to do that to support your athletic department then you really need to examine your priorities and how you are doing business. It is not fair to anyone to do that and any athletic department can be effective and robust without prostituting itself.

I found this quote very enlightening after reading many of the posts here. Granted many FCS programs need the body bag games to fund their programs, but if a G-5 program is well ran, it should be able to avoid making games like this an annual occurrence or necessity.

On 3/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, GreenTexan13 said:

Does that have to do with money? If not, I don't understand why La Tech would want to isolate themselves in one state?

I always thought, foolishly apparently, that the very idea of conferences were to give you a steady diet of geographically close opponents to play.  

Somewhere along that line, the conference mentality became exactly the opposite of that.  IF THAT SCHOOL IS WITHIN 750 MILES OF OUR CAMPUS THEY CAN'T JOIN OUR CONFERENCe!!!11!1!!ELVENTY-ONDE!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:34 AM, caseyorourke said:

Interesting article in Forbes about NMSU and Idaho possibility of dropping down and how in the long run doesn't really hurt them.

Idaho And New Mexico State Considering Dropping Down In Football-More Should Think About It

Yea, ask the folks that have been around since the Fry days what dropping down did for our program.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I always thought, foolishly apparently, that the very idea of conferences were to give you a steady diet of geographically close opponents to play.  

Somewhere along that line, the conference mentality became exactly the opposite of that.  IF THAT SCHOOL IS WITHIN 750 MILES OF OUR CAMPUS THEY CAN'T JOIN OUR CONFERENCe!!!11!1!!ELVENTY-ONDE!!!!!!!!

I guess it screws with diluting that school in CUSA? LA Tech has more stretching room for conference reputation/money in that state. I still think a G5 conference where the school distances are more clustered together is where it's at. I just don't know if I will ever warm to games against Charlotte, FIU, or MTSU like I would with our fellow Texan schools and Louisiana + Mississippi.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I guess it screws with diluting that school in CUSA? LA Tech has more stretching room for conference reputation/money in that state. I still think a G5 conference where the school distances are more clustered together is where it's at. I just don't know if I will ever warm to games against Charlotte, FIU, or MTSU like I would with our fellow Texan schools and Louisiana + Mississippi.

Hey [if I had the money] I'd totally go check out bbq in Charlotte, check out the beaches in Miami, and uh, uh...hold on, I'll think of something to do in Murfreesboro...

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2016 at 4:34 AM, caseyorourke said:

Interesting article in Forbes about NMSU and Idaho possibility of dropping down and how in the long run doesn't really hurt them.

Idaho And New Mexico State Considering Dropping Down In Football-More Should Think About It

About once every 10 years since the late 80s, Rice University has done a study on dropping to 1AA/FCS or even dropping football altogether. And every time they get the same result that for them in Texas, dropping to lower than a 1A/FBS level program would greatly hurt their connections with their alumni. And the connections with their alumni are what keep their endowment and other donations up. It might not be the case in New Mexico or Idaho, but in Texas being FBS makes a HUGE difference. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/7/2016 at 3:16 PM, Aldo said:

Hey [if I had the money] I'd totally go check out bbq in Charlotte, check out the beaches in Miami, and uh, uh...hold on, I'll think of something to do in Murfreesboro...

According to their Convention & Visitors Bureau, the #1 thing to do in Murfreesboro is "your own cousin". 

So... Have fun with that, I guess?