Smatresk’s contract extended to 2019

Skipper

Sarah Sarder | Staff Writer

@sarderrr

The Board of Regents voted last week to approve school president Neal Smatresk for another term ending in 2019 and to raise his salary based on market salaries.

The decision was based on the evaluation from Lee Jackson, chancellor of the UNT System. UNT presidents serve three-year terms. Smatresk’s current term, which began in 2013, is his first. This term will end in January 2017.

Neal Smatresk chats with faculty and staff at a recent Welcome to UNT gathering. Photo by Junebug Clark / Contributing Photographer

Neal Smatresk chats with faculty and staff at a gathering.  Junebug Clark | Contributing Photographer

“We’re on a really good course in terms of goal setting,” Smatresk said of his present term. “I think we’re really doing well as a university.”

While only a simple majority is needed to reapprove the president, all 10 regents voted to keep Smatresk. Jackson also recommended the salary raise, which was approved by the regents.

The exact amount of the increase has not yet been determined, but will be based on the pay of other university presidents in the region. Smatresk is currently paid $505,000 base pay per year, not including bonuses or allowances he could receive if approved by the board.

“I have never once asked for a raise in my life,” Smatresk said. “But if people choose to give me a raise, I’m not going to turn it down.”

Smatresk said the reapproval does not change his plans for the university, though he is considering accelerating current plans.

“We’ve got fairly aggressive plans for growing the academic and research components,” Smatresk said. “It’s nice to know those plans won’t necessarily be changing soon.”

View Full Article

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Great news!  Too bad they didn't extend him to at least 2025!  

Saving that for RV

5 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Or he will be given more free reign to fix the mess in athletics...

Things at UNT never change. Not gonna happen. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

On March 1, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Skipper said:

Sarah Sarder | Staff Writer

@sarderrr

The Board of Regents voted last week to approve school president Neal Smatresk for another term ending in 2019 and to raise his salary based on market salaries.

The decision was based on the evaluation from Lee Jackson, chancellor of the UNT System. UNT presidents serve three-year terms. Smatresk’s current term, which began in 2013, is his first. This term will end in January 2017.

Neal Smatresk chats with faculty and staff at a recent Welcome to UNT gathering. Photo by Junebug Clark / Contributing Photographer

Neal Smatresk chats with faculty and staff at a gathering.  Junebug Clark | Contributing Photographer

“We’re on a really good course in terms of goal setting,” Smatresk said of his present term. “I think we’re really doing well as a university.”

While only a simple majority is needed to reapprove the president, all 10 regents voted to keep Smatresk. Jackson also recommended the salary raise, which was approved by the regents.

The exact amount of the increase has not yet been determined, but will be based on the pay of other university presidents in the region. Smatresk is currently paid $505,000 base pay per year, not including bonuses or allowances he could receive if approved by the board.

“I have never once asked for a raise in my life,” Smatresk said. “But if people choose to give me a raise, I’m not going to turn it down.”

Smatresk said the reapproval does not change his plans for the university, though he is considering accelerating current plans.

“We’ve got fairly aggressive plans for growing the academic and research components,” Smatresk said. “It’s nice to know those plans won’t necessarily be changing soon.”

View Full Article

Congrats to all!!

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I'm not a fan of extensions that long for any position.

I agree, why does anyone extend a contract and increase the school's possibly buyout if things go wrong when there is very little likelihood that the subject is going anywhere?

Thus far, I am a Smatresk fan and hope the unintended results of this extension; is that he can take a more independent role in administration of the athletic function. 

• Upvote 1

Not all extensions are created equal.  This is a home run!  I was in Hawaii when Smastrek worked some magic then in Vegas when he did unlv well.  Now at unt he sees our position as highly favorable and will continue to do great things for good the green and white.  I am optimistic about our new b ball coach to come and ad in the wings.  

Dr.  Smastrek the real deal and glad to see some commitment here!  

It's all good and it's all Green!

gmg

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Not all extensions are created equal.  This is a home run!  I was in Hawaii when Smastrek worked some magic then in Vegas when he did unlv well.  Now at unt he sees our position as highly favorable and will continue to do great things for good the green and white.  I am optimistic about our new b ball coach to come and ad in the wings.  

Dr.  Smastrek the real deal and glad to see some commitment here!  

It's all good and it's all Green!

gmg

Hope you're right, but I'm dubious.  I realize that the primary purpose of the University is not to have successful athletics, but it is a key area that he manages as an administrator.  Thus far, no steps (visible, public ones, at least) have been taken to right that ship.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, kj86 said:

Hope you're right, but I'm dubious.  I realize that the primary purpose of the University is not to have successful athletics, but it is a key area that he manages as an administrator.  Thus far, no steps (visible, public ones, at least) have been taken to right that ship.

Smatresk has been what I figured he would be--a godsend toward cleaning up the accounting fiasco and inspiring the university's faculty and leadership to be better as we continue to grow.

But we all know who hired him. The same BOR and administration that has kept its dedication to athletics at arm's length--or further. I really wanted to believe Smatresk would come in here and really put his stamp on the direction of athletics, but I knew that if he tried, it would be really tough. Well, at this point, we have no idea if he even cares enough about it to want to make changes or if the BOR made it abundantly clear that no changes at the AD level would be made, so the topic is basically DOA now. Either way, it doesn't signal much is going to change here. The Benford situation is one to really watch--if he gets to stay another year or if he somehow gets extended, RV gets one, as well. It will be extremely telling if Tony Benford isn't fired at the end of this season, without ever finishing above .500 even once, even with some incredibly dumbed-down OOC schedules in the last three years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, kj86 said:

Yep, so far it's been meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yep, so far it's been meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

You are so far off base that you can't even see the base!  But, you don't care...it shows each time you post something like this that is just so wrong that it is getting comical.  Your thinking that Dr. Smatresk is anything like our past few presidents shows just how very little you are attuned to reality these days.  Everything you post is second hand  or a complete fabrication of your mind.  But, at least you are consistent in your lack of first hand information. And, you wonder why no one takes you seriously these days. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

Total guess, @Army of Dad, but I think Kram was making a funny.

No.  I was serious.  Dr. Smatresk is a winner.  He's the real deal, and has already led UNT to some major improvement since he first came.  He has his priorities in the correct order.  It may not be the order some here on GMG.com might wish they were, but in order they are....his order.  So far, it appears that he has been correct with that order..Tier One, finances in order, donations on the rise, new campus opened in Frisco, new Student Union opened, several new key staff and faculty members hired, etc.  The man is focused on moving UNT forward.  And, he is focused on improving all areas of the university, and in finding the resources necessary to make those improvements. Necessary resources is, of course, key.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

You are so far off base that you can't even see the base!  But, you don't care...it shows each time you post something like this that is just so wrong that it is getting comical.  Your thinking that Dr. Smatresk is anything like our past few presidents shows just how very little you are attuned to reality these days.  Everything you post is second hand  or a complete fabrication of your mind.  But, at least you are consistent in your lack of first hand information. And, you wonder why no one takes you seriously these days. 

And we can completely trust your info...

You don't seem to get no one takes you seriously, either, because you are on the complete other end of the spectrum.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

9 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

No.  I was serious.  Dr. Smatresk is a winner.  He's the real deal, and has already led UNT to some major improvement since he first came.  He has his priorities in the correct order.  It may not be the order some here on GMG.com might wish they were, but in order they are....his order.  So far, it appears that he has been correct with that order..Tier One, finances in order, donations on the rise, new campus opened in Frisco, new Student Union opened, several new key staff and faculty members hired, etc.  The man is focused on moving UNT forward.  And, he is focused on improving all areas of the university, and in finding the resources necessary to make those improvements. Necessary resources is, of course, key.

This is "while the President is still at UNT" KRAM. It'll be a different tune when Smatresk leaves and the new guy shows up. Then Smatresk will be thrown to the wolves and the new guy will be able to do nothing wrong. 

I bet if someone wanted to take the time, you could find a very similiar post about Rawlins shortly after he got here and Gretchen before that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

This is "while the President is still at UNT" KRAM. It'll be a different tune when Smatresk leaves and the new guy shows up. Then Smatresk will be thrown to the wolves and the new guy will be able to do nothing wrong. 

I bet if someone wanted to take the time, you could find a very similiar post about Rawlins shortly after he got here and Gretchen before that. 

Sure...why don't you  try to find a post like that.  Big talker..pretty much what you do these days.  All talk.

• Downvote 2