This is why we want a new AD

untjim1995

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Full Disclosure prior to this post:

1.  I am tired of coming on here and every post being turned in to an anti-RV tirade by a select few.  Even more tired of the tone of responses to those that don't share the same zealous level of hate.

2.  I do believe it is time for RV to go.  He has done what he can do with this program and it is time to find someone new with fresh ideas, etc...

3.  Thank you for sharing this article, as I, and I would assume many others, had not seen nor read this.  It is infuriating to read those responses and how they reflect his attitude towards those that support this school.

4.  Denny Kalk is not some "fan from San Antonio."  Sorry KRAM, but if I were a reporter writing this story, I would look to long term supporters of the program for insight.  It would be glaring to discover an alumni that had given thousands upon thousands of dollars to the program during the Fouts' era when hardly anyone else gave anything suddenly stop giving at his historical levels.  His quotes speak loudly about the state of how things are being run.

5.  I get the sense that RV is trying to play this off as having his hands tied by administration until Smatresk arrived and now he can really do what he wants.  Sorry, while it is true the administration does provide direction, placing all of your failures at their feet for 14 years and then stating "just watch me now" is too little too late.

6.  RV was very clear with everyone during the fundraising for Apogee that the new stadium would solve scheduling problems, be a source of revenue for the department through hosting high school playoff games and also allow concerts, etc... to be held there.  While the HS games have increased slightly, nothing else has been delivered.

I choose to not pour gas on the fire by turning every topic into an RV roast on here.  I mainly come to this site to get information on our sports teams, recruiting news, etc...  I don't come to see every post turned towards the AD's shortcomings.  Make a thread such as this and have at it.  That way, I can come read this in this thread or not.

I will also state that I live 5 hours away and usually make every home game and have had season tickets the last couple of years.  I will probably choose to give up my season tickets and just buy at the gate or from people that are not using theirs and direct my donations to a scholarship fund at UNT in my father's memory.  If any of you that are giving up your donations and season tickets would like to donate to that scholarship fund, just send me a PM and I will provide you with a link.

Finally, this article is extremely disheartening and if it does bring you concern, then you are blind as to what is going on in that department under this person's leadership.  A few of you say things are changing, etc...  Provide specifics or just be quiet, because RV's answers to the questions in this article should tell you all you need to know.  RV must be replaced.

UNTLifer, I complain about this guy on here because of everything you have stated. It would do wonders for this place to have him replaced, just to get a fresh leader of the department. RV is stale--as in stale saltwater, Fly...I won't attend another UNT sporting event until he is gone. And I have made my peace with this--instead giving donations to the UNT general scholarship fund and the College of Business. I am fully prepared, because of the way the BOR lets the UNT 17 run this thing now, to watch RV continue as AD for years ahead--and to see him get the athletic department named after himself. Its how things, sadly, get done here. In truth, FBS football, probably isn't the level that they prefer to play at, but the money from bodybag games paying for the entire program makes it easier to run the department than being an FCS school. That is what the schedule really tells me when we give season tickets holders games against Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Portland State, Bethune-Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, and Abilene Christian at Apogee, not at freaking, toilet-bowl Fouts.

I, too, don't like how heated things get on here about RV and that the threads get turned into anti-RV rants. In my opinion, RV is merely a symptom to the bigger problem, but its beyond time to get new leadership here. Until the BOR and administration SHOW us that they won't put up with losing games anymore, not just losing money, then things are still gonna be status quo. And I feel most sorry for Seth Littrell--he is a great guy, with a terrific pedigree, a man that anyone should be excited about to lead our team--but he is severely handicapped by our leadership. If he can turn this around, he is gonna be coaching somewhere else in the next few years, because people outside of here in college athletics know what he is dealing with here. But if he fails, he will follow the other coaches around here, being replaced in 3 or 4 years, going back to obscurity as a coach somewhere else. And the same things goes for whoever replaces Benford at the end of this season, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

You are right, nothing has changed.   Since October, we haven't hired a new football coach, with a new coaching staff, signed a 5th year senior quarterback,(Littrell signed him. What does that have to do with RV?) signed the TWO TIME STATE OF OKLAHOMA PLAYER OF THE YEAR(Littrell signed him. What does that have to do with RV?), defeated top 25 (and still in the top 25) Oklahoma in womens basketball(Also lost to 4-15 Rice TWICE), defeated top 25 Baylor twice in womens softball, completed a dedicated state of the art golf practice facility(Still haven't finished the Tennis complex several years later) 

Yeah nothing has changed since October 29th. (You're right. Nothing has changed: Football attendance was down AGAIN. BBall attendance is down AGAIN. Men's BBall will have a losing season AGAIN. Women's BBall will have a losing season AGAIN. RV bungled the Kidsey workout situation and then blamed it on the Strength Staff. 

I pose this question, Who is the bigger idiot?  The guy who continues to donate money because he believes that he is making a difference in a university, and the lives of young men and women who attend that university? 

Or a guy that rants that because one person is still employed, that makes everything else and everyone else a failure, yet he still continues to support with the minimum financial commitment he can to keep his tickets?

#itsallajoke

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Full Disclosure prior to this post:

1.  I am tired of coming on here and every post being turned in to an anti-RV tirade by a select few.  Even more tired of the tone of responses to those that don't share the same zealous level of hate.

2.  I do believe it is time for RV to go.  He has done what he can do with this program and it is time to find someone new with fresh ideas, etc...

3.  Thank you for sharing this article, as I, and I would assume many others, had not seen nor read this.  It is infuriating to read those responses and how they reflect his attitude towards those that support this school.

4.  Denny Kalk is not some "fan from San Antonio."  Sorry KRAM, but if I were a reporter writing this story, I would look to long term supporters of the program for insight.  It would be glaring to discover an alumni that had given thousands upon thousands of dollars to the program during the Fouts' era when hardly anyone else gave anything suddenly stop giving at his historical levels.  His quotes speak loudly about the state of how things are being run.

5.  I get the sense that RV is trying to play this off as having his hands tied by administration until Smatresk arrived and now he can really do what he wants.  Sorry, while it is true the administration does provide direction, placing all of your failures at their feet for 14 years and then stating "just watch me now" is too little too late.

6.  RV was very clear with everyone during the fundraising for Apogee that the new stadium would solve scheduling problems, be a source of revenue for the department through hosting high school playoff games and also allow concerts, etc... to be held there.  While the HS games have increased slightly, nothing else has been delivered.

I choose to not pour gas on the fire by turning every topic into an RV roast on here.  I mainly come to this site to get information on our sports teams, recruiting news, etc...  I don't come to see every post turned towards the AD's shortcomings.  Make a thread such as this and have at it.  That way, I can come read this in this thread or not.

I will also state that I live 5 hours away and usually make every home game and have had season tickets the last couple of years.  I will probably choose to give up my season tickets and just buy at the gate or from people that are not using theirs and direct my donations to a scholarship fund at UNT in my father's memory.  If any of you that are giving up your donations and season tickets would like to donate to that scholarship fund, just send me a PM and I will provide you with a link.

Finally, this article is extremely disheartening and if it does bring you concern, then you are blind as to what is going on in that department under this person's leadership.  A few of you say things are changing, etc...  Provide specifics or just be quiet, because RV's answers to the questions in this article should tell you all you need to know.  RV must be replaced.

I don't always agree with him but this is an excellent point Lifer made above.  I'm sure everyone knows countless other folks who have cooled off on support or turned away completely.  I certainly do.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This is why I choose not to donate to the MGC/Season tickets in the first place. Everyone who argues for it "supporting student athlete scholarships" is both right and wrong. Those scholarships will be provided whether I pay or not, it does not make a difference. I choose not to donate because it is a sinking ship that has been going down for years. I like my money too much to not get anything out of it, and right now anything I give to athletics will not give me a ROI worth investing in.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

BTW...I know Fly likes to give the AD credit for the Warranch Tennis complex, but they had NOTHING to do with cultivating Mr. Warranch's donation to build it.  Living in California he contacted the university's Advancement about making a donation.  It was learned he had an interest in Tennis and then was directed to Athletics and went from there.  In return for his donation Athletics was to raise the remaining money and complete it. I think it's been around 8-10 years now?  and still nothing that I've heard.  

Meanwhile, Mr. Warranch has since passed away and never saw his vision completed.  That's what you can expect when you give us large sums of money like that.  

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

BTW...I know Fly likes to give the AD credit for the Warranch Tennis complex, but they had NOTHING to do with cultivating Mr. Warranch's donation to build it.  Living in California he contacted the university's Advancement about making a donation.  It was learned he had an interest in Tennis and then was directed to Athletics and went from there.  In return for his donation Athletics was to raise the remaining money and complete it. I think it's been around 8-10 years now?  and still nothing that I've heard.  

Meanwhile, Mr. Warranch has since passed away and never saw his vision completed.  That's what you can expect when you give us large sums of money like that.  

Rick

bang, bang. Shots fired

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This is why I choose not to donate to the MGC/Season tickets in the first place. Everyone who argues for it "supporting student athlete scholarships" is both right and wrong. Those scholarships will be provided whether I pay or not, it does not make a difference. I choose not to donate because it is a sinking ship that has been going down for years. I like my money too much to not get anything out of it, and right now anything I give to athletics will not give me a ROI worth investing in.

Do you donate to other areas of the university where scholarships will not be provided unless people donate?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Fly insinuated that is 'in-the-works', below.  So, we should be hearing something or seeing some dirt move soon?

On 2/16/2016 at 9:12 AM, flyonthewall said:

Hank Dickenson, Matt Phillips, Paul Batchelder, Mike Ashbaugh, Troy Taylor, Cinnamon Sheffield would all disagree about this turnover thing, bad argument.

Fundraising, not a good argument either, otherwise we wouldn't have a center hung scoreboard in the pit, a dedicated basketball practice facility, a dedicated golf practice facility, the center court finally being finished at the tennis center..... I could go on and on, but fundraising does not suck.,

It really all comes down to wins and losses, because everything else is in place.  There are no excuses left.  Coaches have facilities to use and recruit to, kids have nice facilities, time to win

31 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I would love to see how our fundraising has changed since that 2013 document had us last in the conference. Any data anywhere?

Rick Villarreal will never release that info. Much like he will never release Club Seat sales info. Anything that shows he isn't doing his job never sees the light of day.

As transparent as a cloudy night at 2AM with a new moon in a forest on Tristan Da Cunha. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Rick Villarreal will never release that info. Much like he will never release Club Seat sales info. Anything that shows he isn't doing his job never sees the light of day.

As transparent as a cloudy night at 2AM with a new moon in a forest on Tristan Da Cunha. 

FOIA

• Upvote 2

I do not wish to get into a pissing contest with those who would like to replace our current Athletic Director. I would like to point out that UNT men's basketball team has been to 3 NCAA tournaments in its history. I have been to all 3, 2 of them on Rick Villarreal's watch.In addition, the EAGLES have played in a total of 7 football bowl games.I have been to 5 of them, again during  Rick Villarreal's tenure as our Athletic Director. I know that life is "what have you done for me lately?". However, I also know that it is neither black nor white, but many shades of gray.Just saying.....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I do not wish to get into a pissing contest with those who would like to replace our current Athletic Director. I would like to point out that UNT men's basketball team has been to 3 NCAA tournaments in its history. I have been to all 3, 2 of them on Rick Villarreal's watch.In addition, the EAGLES have played in a total of 7 football bowl games.I have been to 5 of them, again during  Rick Villarreal's tenure as our Athletic Director. I know that life is "what have you done for me lately?". However, I also know that it is neither black nor white, but many shades of gray.Just saying.....

You need to expect better. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, ntsumck said:

UNT90, you complain about the Littrell hiring in a earlier post.  Who would you have hired?

No, I complained that RV made the hire. I also said no one will get excited (other than the hardcore that are going to the ganes anyway, and even a lot of them are out until RV is gone) by this hire.

Its not going to have people clamoring for club seats that people are walking away from. It doesn't excite students. 

Maybe no hire would have, but it doesn't change the fact that club seats aren't going to fill up because Seth Littrell is coach. Not going to happen. 

If RV really cared about this fan base and this program, he would do the right thing and resign. He has become a polarizing figure with the hardcore fans, some of whom are simply leaving. He doesn't care. He knows no place else would ever hire him and is angling for a state retirement. So 5 more years unless he has some buyback somewhere. 

By that time, he will have this program ready to move back down to FCS.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Just like (IMHO) RV can't take credit for Apogee because the SGA is the real deal behind that funding. He also can't take credit for four bowl games when he tried to fire the coach that coached all those teams to the bowl games before they went to the first one.

As to all the arguments about renewing or not renewing you tickets/MGC membership. I've always taken the stand that it's MY UNIVERSITY not RV's. So I'm going to keep going to games and at every opportunity make him as miserable as possible.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

This is a terrible post. ONE winning season in the last ELEVEN years and you post this garbage. I can't fathom this logic whatsoever. I can't wrap my brain around thinking in this manner in everyday life let alone football/athletics. I'm dumbfounded when I read posts such as this. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Just like (IMHO) RV can't take credit for Apogee because the SGA is the real deal behind that funding. He also can't take credit for four bowl games when he tried to fire the coach that coached all those teams to the bowl games before they went to the first one.

As to all the arguments about renewing or not renewing you tickets/MGC membership. I've always taken the stand that it's MY UNIVERSITY not RV's. So I'm going to keep going to games and at every opportunity make him as miserable as possible.

leaving.gif

Was he not the athletic director when all of this happened?    Then he can certainly "take credit" for it.

As for your second statement, I agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

Why? He doesn't take any responsibility for things that have gone wrong on his watch...

E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E would do/say the same exact things he's doing/saying if you were in his shoes.  Because some catastrophic things have happened under his watch, doesn't mean the good things that have happened should not be attributed to him.

I've actually seen people on here say things like: "I'd just step down if I did so poorly."   L-I-A-R-S...  You would trumpet all of the great things you do/have done, and sweep the bad things under the rug.    JUST LIKE Rick Villareal.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E would do/say the same exact things he's doing/saying if you were in his shoes.  Because some catastrophic things have happened under his watch, doesn't mean the good things that have happened should not be attributed to him.

I've actually seen people on here say things like: "I'd just step down if I did so poorly."   L-I-A-R-S...  You would trumpet all of the great things you do/have done, and sweep the bad things under the rug.    JUST LIKE Rick Villareal.

This is untrue. Find another AD that outright lies about basketball attendance nationwide to protect himself from having to answer questions about attendance at their university. You can't. There have been multiple examples posted on here of ADs saying simply "this isn't acceptable. We need to do better, myself included." Those words have never passed the lips of one Rick Villarreal. 

If this is truly the way you would handle this situation, I hope you never have anything to do with any company where I spend my money.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7