Defensive quality control coach

TheReal_jayD

35 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

University of North Texas now has a defensive quality control coach in Tim Burmeister

Here is his player profile

http://athletics.uwsp.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=4533

Saw the U South Carolina will have 3-4 analyst on the Offence side and Defensive side. We are also seeing assist budgets of close to 4 million $

• Upvote 1

Great...but just what in the heck does a "defensive quality control coach" do?  What quality his he going to try to control?  Seriously...what do these guys do?  Looks like an entry level job for an aspiring coach.  Anyone have any specifics on what these guys actually do?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I am assuming he would be charting plays, breaking down/editing defensive game film, scouting upcoming opponents game film, etc...

dang...that does sound like a bunch of work...glad i didn't apply for that!  thanks for the info...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THOR said:

dang...that does sound like a bunch of work...glad i didn't apply for that!  thanks for the info...

After he charts the plays and breaks down UNT and opponent film he has to put it all into reports for the defensive staff for each game. It's A LOT of work but also a way into the front door. Just ask Filani.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Great...but just what in the heck does a "defensive quality control coach" do?  What quality his he going to try to control?  Seriously...what do these guys do?  Looks like an entry level job for an aspiring coach.  Anyone have any specifics on what these guys actually do?

11 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I am assuming he would be charting plays, breaking down/editing defensive game film, scouting upcoming opponents game film, etc...

Eagle-96 is pretty much correct. They're basically a GA without the ability to act as Coaches and don't get counted as an Assistant Coach.

39 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

49 minutes ago, THOR said:

what are his responsibilities?

He will not only break down and chart UNT's game and practice film, but also that of opponents.  He usually does a ton of the down and distance, personnel groupings, play selection in situations etc.  Here is a really good article I found that talks through what a quality control coach does.  I am sure it is a bit different on college level but not much.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_17198145

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Tendencies of your opponent and how to exploit those tendencies to our advantage. The day of coaches doing hours of film work is slowly coming to an end. They are now watching the trailers!