Littrell And The Mean Green Ink Three Players

MeanGreenDan

Combs didn't do much for me this season.  Roberts on the other hand, wasn't he a JR?  That could be a nasty combination.  

Same here, both he and Finney were about as underwhelming as they could be, especially for players who I thought would impact the defense.

Juco players and transfers typically don't make a big impact their first season.  A lot of people were expressing disappointment that Marcus Trice didn't make more of an impact his first season at North Texas.  But he was an absolute beast his senior year.  I'm not promising the same will happen with Combs or Finney, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyways, the two juco signings look to be good.  Wheeler has the kind of size we need in DEs.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 6

Juco players and transfers typically don't make a big impact their first season.  A lot of people were expressing disappointment that Marcus Trice didn't make more of an impact his first season at North Texas.  But he was an absolute beast his senior year.  I'm not promising the same will happen with Combs or Finney, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyways, the two juco signings look to be good.  Wheeler has the kind of size we need in DEs.

This.

It usually takes a JUCO until about game 6 or 7 of their junior year before they get used to the speed and physicality of FBS football and that's if they are mid-term players eligible for spring ball. It's the senior year that they really make an impact. One exception to this rule was the great Darrell Daniels but he was a beast that comes around once a generation. Even Michael Pruitt needed half a season to get in a groove on his way to the All-Time Team.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'll have to trust the staff on "Wheeling" and Ozougwu.   No other offers anywhere?

No.  And, Ozougwu was a grayshirt from McCarney. 

So...seem to be about where we have been in recruiting.  Hopefully, we get more like the OL, multiple offers from several FBS schools.  The two DEs are more gambles. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

No.  And, Ozougwu was a grayshirt from McCarney.  Wheeler, from his high school year rivals page shows no rank and no offers.  

So...seem to be about where we have been in recruiting.  Hopefully, we get more like the OL, multiple offers from several FBS schools.  The two DEs are more gambles. 

Henson is a good get with him having multiple offers from G5 and P5. I like this pick-up. Wheeler shows good on film and had really good production at the JUCO level. I think Ozougwu was more about honoring a prior staff's commitment. This goes a long way in building trust with high school coaches.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

At least both will have chance to go thru spring ball under Littrell and Ozougwu was already on campus in the Fall, so they should be able to pick it up better, but still gambles now.

ozougwu was signed last class and grayshirted. Not a Littrell recruit. Wheeler on the other hand, I can almost guarantee had more offers as a juco recruit. He had 16 sacks this year.

• Upvote 1

Why is this athletic department so consistently bad? It's "Henson" and "Wheeler." This happens way too often. First off they're a day late on this announcement, then they have misspellings when it comes out. There's a chance all three were spelled wrong, as last year Ozougwu's last name was spelled with a "u" at the end, not an "e."

1. Wheeler is relentless and once he gets his hands on you you're going down. Ball get off needs work. 

2. Ozugwu, hips excellent really bends when he beats Tackle, Ball get off YES PLEASE!! Great find.  Always wondered when we were going to go after some Houston area kids. 

3. Henson haven't watched yet. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Joshua-Wheeler-152889

Wheeler was 2 stars from HS. 

Ozugwu 2 stars as well with no other offers. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/latech/football/recruiting/player-Joseph-Ozougwu-166435 

You can bet Wheeler had some good offers. He had 16 sacks this year and 8 last year at Tyler JC. His recruiting profiles have not been adequately updated at TJC.

Both D-Ends have no stars on 247. But I'm sure that's inaccurate. Or at least I hope it is

Ozougwu is a 3-star on 247. He had some FCS and D2 offers per Vito, but he didn't have an up-to-date page last year until he committed and Vito let Brian Perroni know. Then 247 rated him a 3-star. Also, Wheeler's 247 page is not up to date either. Having a blank recruiting page just means he and his coaches haven't kept up with his profiles. He had 16 sacks this year, I'm sure he had offers.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Why is this athletic department so consistently bad? It's "Henson" and "Wheeler." This happens way too often. First off they're a day late on this announcement, then they have misspellings when it comes out. There's a chance all three were spelled wrong, as last year Ozougwu's last name was spelled with a "u" at the end, not an "e."

You can bet Wheeler had some good offers. He had 16 sacks this year and 8 last year at Tyler JC. His recruiting profiles have not been adequately updated at TJC.

Ozougwu is a 3-star on 247. He had some FCS and D2 offers per Vito, but he didn't have an up-to-date page last year until he committed and Vito let Brian Perroni know. Then 247 rated him a 3-star. Also, Wheeler's 247 page is not up to date either. Having a blank recruiting page just means he and his coaches haven't kept up with his profiles. He had 16 sacks this year, I'm sure he had offers.

Because we haven't been complaining enough about their spelling on here. But now that we are, expect some improved spelling and RV mentioning on the next podcast something about how " we've been spelling a lot of words correctly for years around here but some people still aren't happy. So we made sure with this signing class announcement, to really put a lot of big words in there and double checked the spelling to show we have good spellers in the department." or something like that...

• Upvote 7

RE:  Players "showing good on film."

You haven't seen all of his film.  You are seeing highlights.  Coaches, if they are smart, are looking at much more film than HUDL.  We've seen plenty of kids go through here who "show good on film" in their little highlight shows for youtube, HUDL, and others. 

Again, this is why I hold DaMarcus Smith didn't have any offers the second time around coming out of JUCO.  Enough coaches saw enough film other than the "showing good on film" highlights to understand he doesn't have the ability to be a passer at this level.

https://twitter.com/dlinekp/status/677690780232908804

So his name is spelled with a "u" at the end, and not an "e" at the end like Meangreensports incorrectly spelled it. Which means Meangreensports literally spelled all three of our mid-term signees names wrong in the OFFICIAL release of the signings, that came a day late.

#itsallajoke

TmKoiX.gif

• Upvote 1