Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

A name no one will really talk about is Jesse Holley. From what I have heard, he's interested in getting into coaching. Being a former NFL player and still relatively young, he would be a great guy to bring along while recruiting. Being relatable to the kids is 75% of the battle and he is definitely someone that can connect with them. I think he could be a great WR coach and bring some name value to the program. 

What do y'all think about that?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

A name no one will really talk about is Jesse Holley. From what I have heard, he's interested in getting into coaching. Being a former NFL player and still relatively young, he would be a great guy to bring along while recruiting. Being relatable to the kids is 75% of the battle and he is definitely someone that can connect with them. I think he could be a great WR coach and bring some name value to the program. 

interesting idea.  Here is his wiki page.

I guess my only issue is he hasn't done this before and he hails from Jersey.  Love that he played for the Cowboys though, that would be a plus.  The problem with former professional players is that this college coaching game for assistants is a real meat grinder.  Long hours on the road,  Getting told no a lot.  Not close to comparable pay from their NFL salaries. 

If he was looking to get into this business I would certainly listen.

Yeah...no thanks 

• Upvote 3

interesting idea.  Here is his wiki page.

I guess my only issue is he hasn't done this before and he hails from Jersey.  Love that he played for the Cowboys though, that would be a plus.  The problem with former professional players is that this college coaching game for assistants is a real meat grinder.  Long hours on the road,  Getting told no a lot.  Not close to comparable pay from their NFL salaries. 

If he was looking to get into this business I would certainly listen.

He's a radio guy right now. He did tweet Seth but not sure how serious he was. He played very little in the NFL, he made the team by getting an invite for training camp by winning the short lived show "4th and long." He's well known in the area for his radio work and winning the show but not sure how serious he is about coaching right now.

• Upvote 3

@Harry he is he even tweeted about being interested in a position at UNT. I'll look for the tweet. 

yea I'm actually the one that started that. I tweeted to him jokely that he should come coach with Littrell since Holley played at UNC. And he's just taken off from there! Seems like he seriously wants to try his hand at it and since we are UNT, what do we have to lose employing a former Cowboy, even if his stint was a brief one. 

• Upvote 1

yea I'm actually the one that started that. I tweeted to him jokely that he should come coach with Littrell since Holley played at UNC. And he's just taken off from there! Seems like he seriously wants to try his hand at it and since we are UNT, what do we have to lose employing a former Cowboy, even if his stint was a brief one. 

My sense is he (Littrell) already has a plan and I might go a step further and say he already know and has confirmation from the guys he wants to bring in.  Sometime, as we learned in the Mac hire, some guys may fall through because they get more money or a better opportunity at another place.  I think with Littrell this type of thing may be less likely. I think Littrell thought long and hard about who exactly he needs and probably has a personal relationship with them as well.  Remember, Littrell is viewed as a guy going places and that will help him lure good assistants who are wanting to take that ride up the food chain with him.

My sense is he (Littrell) already has a plan and I might go a step further and say he already know and has confirmation from the guys he wants to bring in.  Sometime, as we learned in the Mac hire, some guys may fall through because they get more money or a better opportunity at another place.  I think with Littrell this type of thing may be less likely. I think Littrell thought long and hard about who exactly he needs and probably has a personal relationship with them as well.  Remember, Littrell is viewed as a guy going places and that will help him lure good assistants who are wanting to take that ride up the food chain with him.

I mean sure. What coach wouldn't have contacted who he is targeting as a staff? I am sure he already knows who his OC and DC are. I am sure he probably even has position coaches somewhat figured out. I can only imagine he has been pondering over the last year or two on who he would bring with him in the event he was hired as a HC. He can now put those plans to practice. 

• Upvote 1

I'll be happy as long as he has a DC and defensive position coaches that don't teach playing 10 yards off receivers and arm tackling. I want to hear pads pop and see guys driving through the man with the ball. I want our defense to be known as the Hounds From Hell.

I believe that Littrell will surround himself with good offensive assistants and they will whip that side of the ball into shape quickly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On Jesse Holley: I'm on my iPad and can't copy the tweet, but he tweeted an hour ago that he was on his way to Denton. Didn't say why or anything, but take from it what you may. 

Twitter handle?

We are in dire need of a DC who knows what he is actually doing and will teach these guys a thing or two about tackling and coverage. We also need a new strength and conditioning coach, our guys need to be beefed up quite a lot. What I'm really getting at is that we need coaches who will discipline these guys and make them hungry to win again!

• Upvote 3

We are in dire need of a DC who knows what he is actually doing and will teach these guys a thing or two about tackling and coverage. We also need a new strength and conditioning coach, our guys need to be beefed up quite a lot. What I'm really getting at is that we need coaches who will discipline these guys and make them hungry to win again!

lol new S&C you can't be serious.

agree with all you say here.

i completely agree with you, but I'm just saying he gets paid to size these guys up and make sure that they are in the best shape possible for season. No matter who the player is.

seemed to me everyone was in such shape

Not sure if this is realistic or not but Josh Heupel was the QB/captain of the 2000 national championship team Littrell was on. He was Co-OC of OU before being replaced by Lincoln Riley and is now AHC/OC at Utah State. Would be a lateral move at best unless we can pay him better..

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

seemed to me everyone was in such shape

yes, but a couple years back with the previous S&C, the players were bigger in terms of size and recently they have started to decrease. I read that somewhere haha, but I do agree with whoever wrote that because it is obvious that most of our players are smaller than a lot of other players in our conference that attend other schools.

I'll be happy as long as he has a DC and defensive position coaches that don't teach playing 10 yards off receivers and arm tackling. I want to hear pads pop and see guys driving through the man with the ball. I want our defense to be known as the Hounds From Hell.

I believe that Littrell will surround himself with good offensive assistants and they will whip that side of the ball into shape quickly.

I'd rather them earn the title of being the Mean Green.

yes, but a couple years back with the previous S&C, the players were bigger in terms of size and recently they have started to decrease. I read that somewhere haha, but I do agree with whoever wrote that because it is obvious that most of our players are smaller than a lot of other players in our conference that attend other schools.

Could it be that there was a theory being tested that involved the tradeoffs between bulk and speed? Question, no knowledge of situation.

• Upvote 1