Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

Questioning our strength and conditioning staff always seems to be off limits around here, but I sure didn't see much strength or conditioning on this team.

no matter who the strength and conditioning coach is, if the staff will not hold kids accountable for missing workouts, they aren't going to get any bigger, stronger or faster.  I happen to think the strength and conditioning coach was one of our better coaches, doing the best he could with little support.   I hope he is one that gets the opportunity to stay.

• Upvote 3

no matter who the strength and conditioning coach is, if the staff will not hold kids accountable for missing workouts, they aren't going to get any bigger, stronger or faster.  I happen to think the strength and conditioning coach was one of our better coaches, doing the best he could with little support.   I hope he is one that gets the opportunity to stay.

Chico kept bringing up strength, speed and size.  I think that is more of a recruiting issue but the strength and conditioning team can play an important role.  The guy they have now seems like he works very hard.  Hopefully he will be given an interview.

Chico kept bringing up strength, speed and size.  I think that is more of a recruiting issue but the strength and conditioning team can play an important role.  The guy they have now seems like he works very hard.  Hopefully he will be given an interview.

When you recruit as badly as we have under Mac, S&C can very well be the most important coaching position on the staff. I agree that the new guy didn't have a lot of time, but that is an area where we plain and simply have to excel. Every year.

• Upvote 2

Good point. He will want complete continuity on offense. Naturally, the first place to look would be immediate potential candidates on Leach's staff at WazZu with Texas ties:

Clay McGuire

Graham Harrell

Then expanding from there:

James Patton - Indiana

Dennis Simmons - OU

Bill Bedenbaugh - OU

Kerry Cooks - OU

Brandon Jones - Cal

Brian Mitchell - West Virginia

Zach Spavital - Texas Tech

Jeff Lebby - Baylor

Joe John Finley - Baylor

Drew Mehringer - UH

Sterlin Gilbert - Tulsa

Justin Hill - Tulsa

McGuire, Simmons, Bedenbaugh would all be guys who coached with him at Tech.  Obviously Harrell played under him @ Tech.
Mark Hagen (now LB's @ A&M) from Littrell's time at Indiana would also be another great target to fill Perry's or even Cosh's spot.

• Upvote 1

S&C is young, enthusiastic and a hard worker, gives his all............ wait or we talking position coach or head coach, I'm confused after reading this board.   isn't this the type of guy we want?

Being a little sarcastic here, but not liking a guy cause Chico said something, c'mon give me a break.  S&C should at minimum get an interview.

Edited by SHD
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not exactly sure who Littrell may bring with him in terms of staff, but does anyone know our budget?

It seems that most have been throwing around a number of roughly $1mm for the head coach.  What about assistants?  The last I number I heard was a $1.4mm pool to cover the assistant coaches.  I am not sure how many assistants this covers and whether or not it includes the S&C coach and the director of operations as well as the 2 GA positions. Here are some possible numbers:

OC - $250k
DC - $250k
Top position coaches - 4 X $125k = $500k
Next position coaches - 5 X $100k = $500k

Total of 9 coaches @ $1.5mm 

Plus cost of S&C coach ~ $110k
Plus director of operations ~$90k
Plus 2 GA positions (I have no idea but probably not much since they are receiving free education, maybe $50k each?)

If these numbers are realistic, what type of guys can we get as coordinators?  Current position coaches, or maybe coordinators/HC at a lower level?  Where do position coaches come from?  Not sure if you can get a good Tx HS coach at a big school to take a position coach spot for $125k.

Link to old Vito article regarding UNT assistant salaries:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20140709-coaches-salaries-on-rise-at-unt.ece

Wouldn't be surprised to see RB/Special Teams coach Larry Porter come with Littrell from UNC as the OC

AHDKMQDHOCHFEOJ.20140227180900.jpg

Larry Porter Coaching Year-By-Year
2014-present - North Carolina Running Backs Coach/Special Teams Coordinator
2013 - Texas Running Backs Coach
2012 - Arizona State Running Backs Coach
2010-11 - Memphis Head Coach
2006-09 - LSU Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs
2005 - LSU Running Backs Coach
2002-04 - Oklahoma State Running Backs Coach
1999-2001 - Arkansas State Running Backs Coach
1998 - Tennessee-Martin Running Backs Coach
1996-97 - Wooddale High School Running Backs/Defensive Backs

According to this assessment of the expected recruiting impact on UT when he was hired, while at LSU his recruiting region was the Houston area...

http://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2013/1/2/3829692/larry-porter-recruiting-impact-texas-longhorns-football

Basically, Porter was the best-case scenario -- someone with the recruiting chops to match Applewhite's success (if not exceed it), someone who could seamlessly take over Applewhite's region due to his ties from recruiting Houston for LSU, and someone who could add the value of his relationships in Louisiana, a state that features one of the top 2014 offensive tackle prospects in the country in Cameron Robinson, a player Texas has already offered.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1

Another possible Littrell connection...Lee Fedora, HC Navasota High School

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/12/1/9805082/so-you-want-to-hire-a-texas-high-school-football-coach

Lee Fedora - Head Coach, Navasota High School

Those that follow college football closely know that coaching is a fraternal business. It certainly helps 4A's 2014 coach of the year Lee Fedora to inherit the coaching connections of his older brother and North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora. Boasting an all time record of 155-54-1, Fedora has managed to win at every stop in his career. A young coach with a bright future ahead of him, Fedora has won state championships at Navasota in two of his last three seasons.

Might be your next: Wide receivers coach

If he has CFB coaching aspirations, he may be interested in coming to Denton to join Littrell's staff in some capacity.  

I doubt UNC makes it in unless they simply destroy Clemson like OSU did to Wisconsin last year. They have too many places to jump. OU is in, Michigan State or Iowa is in, most likely Bama takes care of the Gators, and that leaves one open spot. Would they jump both a Pac12 champion Stanford and everyone's darling one-loss Ohio State? I don't think the TV powers that be would allow that.

Although it will be to our detriment, I'm rooting for Coach L and UNC to make it to the playoffs because I think he deserves it, I just don't see it happening.

Looking at UNC's schedule, they have not played anyone. Pitt is probably their strongest opponent. They also had a bad loss to start the year to South Carolina at home. Ya, I know, UT beat OU. But OU beat 5 top 25 teams. UNC hasn't.

2 of the 4 spots are set. OU is in. The winner of Iowa vs Mich St. is in. Alabama should beat Florida. Badly. Ohio St. has played a stronger schedule and UNC wouldn't pass them, even if they beat Clemson 59-0.

UNC schedule below:

USC

NC A&T (FCS)

Illinois

Delaware (ANOTHER FCS, and a 1-11 FCS at that)

Ga. Tech

Wake Forrest

Virginia

Pitt

Duke

Miami

Va. Tech

NC State

Clemson

ZERO chance of a tournament bid. The 2 FCS games KILL them.

• Upvote 1

Looking at UNC's schedule, they have not played anyone. Pitt is probably their strongest opponent. They also had a bad loss to start the year to South Carolina at home. Ya, I know, UT beat OU. But OU beat 5 top 25 teams. UNC hasn't.

2 of the 4 spots are set. OU is in. The winner of Iowa vs Mich St. is in. Alabama should beat Florida. Badly. Ohio St. has played a stronger schedule and UNC wouldn't pass them, even if they beat Clemson 59-0.

UNC schedule below:

USC

NC A&T (FCS)

Illinois

Delaware (ANOTHER FCS, and a 1-11 FCS at that)

Ga. Tech

Wake Forrest

Virginia

Pitt

Duke

Miami

Va. Tech

NC State

Clemson

ZERO chance of a tournament bid. The 2 FCS games KILL them.

First, if WE had that schedule we would be crying so hard before the season.  It's a pretty tough schedule.  Secondly, if they beat #1 Clemson, handily, they will receive a LOT of votes.  I think if the voters have to choose between Mich. St., Florida, Ohio St., and UNC, then UNC has a chance.  Small, but they do have a chance.  

• Upvote 2

So t me get this straight.  They played 2 FCS teams at home as part of their OOC schedule?

Not even RV has gone that far.  UNC90 must be going nuts.

Except they hosted Illinois. 

And Virginia...

And Miami...

Not to mention they didn't lose by 59 to one of those FCS teams (remember when I warned you a loss to an RV scheduled FCS was VERY possible and would hurt the program greatly? And you laughed and said "trust RV?" Those were good times.).

But you are right, if they beat Clemson, their fans will have big scheduling questions for their AD.

And they should.

This fan base never did...

Strength and conditioning coach takes two...the men have to get with the program on a serious basis. Having said that, it doesn't hurt if your S&C coach is a real ball-buster type. Here is my candidate for S&C coach:

mj7kiq.gif

• Upvote 2

There is an experienced coach out there that Littrell used to work for who is currently unemployed. He was rumored as a head coach here by some asshat Baylor law student. Don't -1 me to hell and back. I'm just curious of you guys thoughts on Mangino being a part of the staff in any fashion.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There is an experienced coach out there that Littrell used to work for who is currently unemployed. He wasn't rumored as a head coach here by some asshat Baylor law student. Don't -1 me to hell and back. I'm just curious of you guys thoughts on Mangino being a part of the staff in any fashion.

Mangino in Denton would cause the rest of the city's population to look like Sudanese refugees. Not enough food to go around

• Upvote 2

There is an experienced coach out there that Littrell used to work for who is currently unemployed. He wasn't rumored as a head coach here by some asshat Baylor law student. Don't -1 me to hell and back. I'm just curious of you guys thoughts on Mangino being a part of the staff in any fashion.

Team dietician?

• Upvote 2

As bad as some think the scheduling is at UNC, it got them W's. 

I was about to say this. The two FCS wins might cost them a chance at the college football playoffs, but it for sure helped them get in the conversation. If those were two games against a G5 and a low tier P5, they might not have won both games and you might currently be looking at a 10-2 team with no shot at the playoffs and Littrell might not look as attractive as a HC. Lots of speculation.

At the end of the day, you win the games you play. And to the person who said OU beat 5 top 25 teams, no. OU beat 2 teams who were ranked in the top 25 when they played them and who are now unranked. Other than that, OU played 3 top 25 teams who will not even garner consideration for the playoffs. If UNC beats #1 unbeaten Clemson, that win should mean more than any of OUs wins.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

I was about to say this. The two FCS wins might cost them a chance at the college football playoffs, but it for sure helped them get in the conversation. If those were two games against a G5 and a low tier P5, they might not have won both games and you might currently be looking at a 10-2 team with no shot at the playoffs and Littrell might not look as attractive as a HC. Lots of speculation.

At the end of the day, you win the games you play. And to the person who said OU beat 5 top 25 teams, no. OU beat 2 teams who were ranked in the top 25 when they played them and who are now unranked. Other than that, OU played 3 top 25 teams who will not even garner consideration for the playoffs. If UNC beats #1 unbeaten Clemson, that win should mean more than any of OUs wins.

Exactly. And a win is the reason we schedule them as well (potential win) yet when we have them it is unacceptable. Here is a team in the playoff conversation that has two of them.