Littrell Staff Speculation

UNT Mean Green

Could it be that there was a theory being tested that involved the tradeoffs between bulk and speed? Question, no knowledge of situation.

That is true, but why not try to incorporate both. Other schools do and it seems to work perfectly for them. I also read that majority of the O line or D line was below average size for lineman than in past years. Incorporate both of those things and you get the hybrid factor.

yes, but a couple years back with the previous S&C, the players were bigger in terms of size and recently they have started to decrease. I read that somewhere haha, but I do agree with whoever wrote that because it is obvious that most of our players are smaller than a lot of other players in our conference that attend other schools.

No, Wintrich had a levels system where athletes couldn't go up to certain reps and weight until they proved they had fundamentals down, Caralla I am not sure what system he employs.  I attended several open workouts this summer ad I personally thought our guys were looking closer to D1 athletes than anytime Wintrich was here

• Upvote 2

No, Wintrich had a levels system where athletes couldn't go up to certain reps and weight until they proved they had fundamentals down, Caralla I am not sure what system he employs.  I attended several open workouts this summer ad I personally thought our guys were looking closer to D1 athletes than anytime Wintrich was here

As a casual follower of S&C, I have always had the impression that our coaches knew what they were doing and that they had the tools/facilities at their disposal to get the job done. So, if my impression is true, either our players aren't getting with the program or they are so undersized to begin with that they can't make up the ground on our competition. Is this just another recruiting problem? Tell me where I have gone wrong.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

As a casual follower of S&C, I have always had the impression that our coaches knew what they were doing and that they had the tools/facilities at their disposal to get the job done. So, if my impression is true, either our players aren't getting with the program or they are so undersized to begin with that they can't make up the ground on our competition. Is this just another recruiting problem? Tell me where I have gone wrong.

IMO it is a recruiting problem. Everything I have read and seen about Caralla he is as good as it gets. Rumor has it Wintrich and Mac had it out and that's why Wintrich left.

We are in dire need of a DC who knows what he is actually doing and will teach these guys a thing or two about tackling and coverage. We also need a new strength and conditioning coach, our guys need to be beefed up quite a lot. What I'm really getting at is that we need coaches who will discipline these guys and make them hungry to win again!

Agreed.

This is why I've become interested in the idea of UNC DB coach Charlton Warren as DC. As seen in the video below, cleaning up fundamentals was his key to his approach upon arrival in Chapel Hill.  UNC saw a great improvement in passing defense in 2015 (#20 in Yards per pass - up from #125) as did Nebraska in 2014 where he spent the one season in 2014 (#12 in Yards per pas - up from #65).

He doesn't have Texas ties but that can be supplemented elsewhere on the staff.  

Here's Warren's bio: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209919000

• Upvote 3

We also need a new strength and conditioning coach, our guys need to be beefed up quite a lot. 

Caralla's been here I believe less than a year. He's got a lot of undersized/lean guys to work with.

He's a ball of energy in practice and pumps up his guys. Needs a bit more time before making a judgement, imo. Has decent pedigree.

• Upvote 2

Caralla's can't force the kids to come to work out nor can he force them to workout to their max.  If the position coaches don't enforce rules when they skip it will not matter who is the S&C.  Carall's pedigree is excellent as well as his energy, needs to be at least given a chance.

• Upvote 3

http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/17038308/slaughter-joins   

Erik Slaughter, d-line coach at WV. Possible DC. I noticed he followed Meacham and Littrell on Twitter last weekend...Maybe he is looking for a ticket home. 

"Erik brings an extensive background with more than 20 years of coaching experience to the Mountaineer  staff," Holgorsen said. "Having spent his entire career as a coach and a recruiter in the state of Texas also gives him an outstanding knowledge and extensive network base that will increase our recruiting efforts in the Southwest as we enter the Big 12 Conference. I look forward to having him on the coaching staff here."

Slaughter brings 22 years of coaching experience at the high school and collegiate levels. At the collegiate level, he has coached nine all-conference selections, three All-American honorees and has sent two players to the National Football League.

And Littrell recently followed him back.

image.png?w=500&c=1

• Upvote 6

I heard Patrick would not be staying, but this was about a month ago. Hadn't heard anything about Perry. 

I can only go off what I am told. I was told Dajon was gone and 3 days later Bito shows up at the airport and Mac lands and informs him he is gone. Was told Berglund hyper ventilated in the huddle during the spring game and would never see the field and that was accurate too. Many years ago I was told Tony Mitchell was coming and had a friend post it. Sill got in trouble for that one :/. I just have to trust what I am told.

I can only go off what I am told. I was told Dajon was gone and 3 days later Bito shows up at the airport and Mac lands and informs him he is gone. Was told Berglund hyper ventilated in the huddle during the spring game and would never see the field and that was accurate too. Many years ago I was told Tony Mitchell was coming and had a friend post it. Sill got in trouble for that one :/. I just have to trust what I am told.

Soooooo, any word on anything like lottery numbers or stuff like that. Asking for a friend.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I noticed that the strength coach from Villanova Jake Cox just followed him on Twitter. Played at Kansas, and got his masters at SFA. Interned at Kansas, Baylor, and Iowa (!!). Worked at Akron, Colorado, Temple, and now Villanova.

Could just be very coincidental timing. A lot of people following Littrell on Twitter the last few days.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 4