Thankfully all "Canales for Coach" talk is over

ADLER

Now he has a surefire, but secret, method for improving the situation if he is kept around. “We need to step back and look at ourselves and ask, ‘How do we fix this?’” Canales said. “I have a plan to fix this.”

Holy RIchard Nixon, Batman! Chico has a secret plan to win the war against terrible football.

• Downvote 1

Mike Canales called for North Texas to evaluate its approach to recruiting and developing players on Monday, reiterating his comments following the Mean Green’s loss to Louisiana Tech on Saturday.

North Texas doesn't have an approach to recruiting, every coaching regime has it's own recruiting plan. So didn't he notice? The approach to recruiting was changed when Coach Mac was fired. 

Let's bring back TD!  He was a good recruiter (see 2013 HOT Bowl win). Those were his kids that won the HOT bowl.  He might still work for $165K too!  He coulda had Mount Cody (if not for Mendoza throwing a fit). He was close on Dez Bryant!  Several of his recruits in the NFL (Robertson, Dunbar, Awasom, Olawale).  Just kidding. He wasn't ready for D1 plus he could'nt see through his rose colored glasses re his son and paid a price for that. He lost the team in 2009 by starting RD over Tune against all the bottom feeders and Tune against the Natl Champions, Conf Champions, Bowl teams.  Not many rocket scientist on FB teams but they all (to a man) know who deserves to start/play every position. If a coach try's to BS em, they will lay down and they did. If only RD stayed at Texas. Just a lil history for you UNT purest!

• Downvote 2

Let's bring back TD!  He was a good recruiter (see 2013 HOT Bowl win). Those were his kids that won the HOT bowl.  He might still work for $165K too!  He coulda had Mount Cody (if not for Mendoza throwing a fit). He was close on Dez Bryant!  Several of his recruits in the NFL (Robertson, Dunbar, Awasom, Olawale).  Just kidding. He wasn't ready for D1 plus he could'nt see through his rose colored glasses re his son and paid a price for that. He lost the team in 2009 by starting RD over Tune against all the bottom feeders and Tune against the Natl Champions, Conf Champions, Bowl teams.  Not many rocket scientist on FB teams but they all (to a man) know who deserves to start/play every position. If a coach try's to BS em, they will lay down and they did. If only RD stayed at Texas. Just a lil history for you UNT purest!

Dunbar and Olawale were Dodge recruits. The other two were Dickey recruits. Antonio Johnson(who had been with the Saints) and Zach Orr (Ravens)were Dodge recruits as well. Riley was a much better quarterback that Tune for TD's system because he could run. If you want to cry nepotism, use Vizza vs Dodge. I think we can all agree that a walk-on from Celina wasn't a better QB than a HS All-American, 2-time Gatorade player of the year, 2-time all-state player with an offer from Texas playing in the offense he'd played in since he could throw a football.

He was not close on Dez, Dez only came to visit because Penson was coming here anyway.

You are being sarcastic but the sad part is that he wouldn't even consider it if we did offer him a second chance. I think he likes the HS pace.

Edited by Cr1028

That thought is crazy at best, but I do miss the potential explosiveness on offense as well as a likely immediate upgrade in recruiting. With a highly paid and WELL PROVEN DC it could possibly work. His wife is a graduate, and I don't think that he holds major grudges against us, so he probably wouldn't have too many personal "hate issues" to deal with if he returned. But again, the idea is pretty much insane.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dunbar and Olawale were Dodge recruits. The other two were Dickey recruits. Antonio Johnson(who had been with the Saints) and Zach Orr (Ravens)were Dodge recruits as well. Riley was a much better quarterback that Tune for TD's system because he could run. If you want to cry nepotism, use Vizza vs Dodge. I think we can all agree that a walk-on from Celina wasn't a better QB than a HS All-American, 2-time Gatorade player of the year, 2-time all-state player with an offer from Texas playing in the offense he'd played in since he could throw a football.

He was not close on Dez, Dez only came to visit because Penson was coming here anyway.

You are being sarcastic but the sad part is that he wouldn't even consider it if we did offer him a second chance. I think he likes the HS pace.

Except that Vizza was throwing passes to Riley.  Riley was going to be a fantastic slot receiver for us.  Instead, he wound up being the best QB option we had.
Vizza would have beaten Riley for the job... but he's scared, & transferers do what transferers do.

• Upvote 2

You bring back Todd Dodge, I immediately and irrevocably stop payment on all checks and never set foot on the UNT campus again. 

UNT90 : RV :: Oldguystudent : TD

I'd rather people talk about banging my sister while the pile of ashes that is my late mother looks on than hear even the slightest jest of Todd Dodge coming back to Denton.

Riley was being recruited to play Wide Receiver at UT, not QB. ESPN graded him out as only a 79 at QB, and had some interesting comments about him on his page. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/47978/riley-dodge . Riley was a great athlete, and was a good signing for North Texas. I hoped he would play here as well as he did at Soutlake Carroll. The football Gods were not so kind, and his size in the pocket was an issue as most publications predicted. Todd Dodge is on record as saying he wanted Giovanni to stay, but most felt Riley would end up in the saddle.  http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_football/article/Ex-Heights-QB-Vizza-tossed-football-and-scored-817823.php . 

Regardless, neither Coach Mac or Coach Canales have recruited at the same level as either of their predecessors? That's how you get beat 66-7 by Portland State at home. Hopefully the next coach has connections that prevent such things from ever happening here again. There may be another Giovanni Vizza out there waiting to play QB at North Texas. It wont be an easy sell?

Fingers crossed..

GMG!!!

Riley was being recruited to play Wide Receiver at UT, not QB. ESPN graded him out as only a 79 at QB, and had some interesting comments about him on his page. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/47978/riley-dodge . Riley was a great athlete, and was a good signing for North Texas. I hoped he would play here as well as he did at Soutlake Carroll. The football Gods were not so kind, and his size in the pocket was an issue as most publications predicted. Todd Dodge is on record as saying he wanted Giovanni to stay, but most felt Riley would end up in the saddle.  http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_football/article/Ex-Heights-QB-Vizza-tossed-football-and-scored-817823.php . 

Regardless, neither Coach Mac or Coach Canales have recruited at the same level as either of their predecessors? That's how you get beat 66-7 by Portland State at home. Hopefully the next coach has connections that prevent such things from ever happening here again. There may be another Giovanni Vizza out there waiting to play QB at North Texas. It wont be an easy sell?

Fingers crossed..

GMG!!!

All true. I think part of Riley's issues here as a qb were related to the unlar nerve damage in his arm sustained in high school. Even TD realized his son couldn't throw the ball as well any more and moved Riley to WR for 2010 only for the top 2 qbs to go down and Riley to get pushed back into the starting qb job.

Something else positive about Dodge was he was one of the first to offer Rex Burkhead. We didn't get him because the big dogs came calling but Cal and NT were the first to offer him back in '07 for the '09 class. I remember we were all impressed that he was willing to go after a guy that talented even if the odds were against him. That strategy worked getting Dunbar, well, that and Clayton George.

Yes sarcastic with my post last night.  Hell freezing over more likely than TD coming back. Honestly however, if TD had already been through the battles & scars he suffered at UNT but somewhere else and then come to UNT (no RD to cloud his decisions), I think he delivers & performs like RV and all fans had hoped initially. I like him personally, know he truly had the right intentions. The learning curve is just too steep to go from HS to D1. It's kinda like going from the mail room to CEO. A formula for disaster. 

OK, I'll give it a rest!

GMG!

• Upvote 1