The case for coach Canales

ABrownGMG

Canales won't be at UNT next season. Beat LA Tech is all that matters right now. Win for the school, the players and the seniors. 

I hope Chico wins out and lands a great OC job somewhere (preferrably not in C-USA) or even a HC job!   I really want that for him.  I like him.

He's just not the right fit for North Texas at this time.

All the best for Chico in the near future and his future after NT.    And I hope you hang around here to keep us updated on him.

• Upvote 4

Not as great as it is that you have absolutely no say in anything that happens at this university....no matter how many immature and tasteless banners you fly :) you petulant, little child.

Um...technically he didn't get the banner off the ground, but he was able to provide an excuse, much like the subject of his rants. 

"Wasn't my fault. I hired the right guy, he just didn't deliver. "

Works for some, but not for others is the only thing that I can guess.

Oh, the irony. We must be the laughing stock to RV and the 17. 

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Um...technically he didn't get the banner off the ground, but he was able to provide an excuse, much like the subject of his rants. 

The failure to fly was an act of God!

• Upvote 2

Sure, Canales should be considered for the job, and those that don't think he is campaigning for it; are not paying attention.   It all depends on who is available.  I have never thought that NT ran Canales' offense under Mac.  Maybe Canales also didn't make the QB decisions.  

I think Chicos' changes are slim because no matter how little input he had into the game plan, he is definitely associated with failure at NT.  There are also very valid questions about his ability to recruit.  Frankly, if RV is actually going to have input on the coaching position, there is no way he can go with Canales. 

I do think that Canales has demonstrated that he would most likely be a better head coach than the two he worked for.  If the team continues to improve and actually wins a few more games than I think he deserves to be on the short list.  However, it is my hope that NT can attract the candidates that Canales can't really compete with.   

• Upvote 1

To be honest, Chico is the outsider in a group of Mac guys, so take that with a grain of salt.

Other than that, I am way too close to the situation, because I KNOW the man, and I know this school, I want what is best for both. He cares about this place, he really does. My opinion is biased, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. 

And I am going to leave it at that, I think Chico would be the best HC at North Texas. And that will be the last I say of it....on a positive note, MEAN GREEN WIN and the whiny orange get shut out :)

Without naming names or throwing current employees under the bus, could you provide some insight into how RV is/was perceived within the football program? Players opinions? Staffs opinions?

Let me start by saying I like Canales, I like his energy and I like his perseverance. I still hold the opinion that we are 3 games into a second interim stint by Canales in a "dumpster fire of a season". I'm going to keep my powder dry on voicing an opinion on Canales as the head coach. He has been working on objections in his press conference talking about recruits on twitter etc, but I am still not sold. I can feel his passion and I like his appreciation for alumni support but I think we should see how the season ends up before we beg for Chico  to take the job. Although he obviously brings a new energy and direction to the program I am still in favor of shopping the market. Lets look around ask the tough questions and maybe Canales is our head coach in the end but I don't think it hurts to look around for a bit and see how he finishes out the season.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, Chico is the outsider in a group of Mac guys, so take that with a grain of salt.

and this is the problem I have with the situation.  He should have adjusted to mac's style and made it work.  Seems like he only knows how to do things his way.  

Do we know he really went 100% and tried to run an offense mac would have liked.  For a head coach that wanted smash mouth style, the offensive makeup of the team did not match.  

TEs that can't really block, RBs that are small and one that dances, thin QBs, etc.  Seems like the OC should have built an offense with size and a qb like demarcus and give the coach what he wanted.  A running team.  Maybe even a two back set.

At the coach's show Monday night, while the players were being interviewed, I asked Coach Canales 2 questions.

i asked if Denton High running back Xavier Scott was being recruited and if he ( Canales) wanted the head job at NT.  

He replied "yes" to both questions.  

Beat La Tech

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 6

At the coach's show Monday night, while the players were being interviewed, I asked Coach Canales 2 questions.

i asked if Denton High running back Xavier Scott was being recruited and if he ( Canales) wanted the head job at NT.  

He replied "yes" to both questions.  

Beat La Tech

GO MEAN GREEN

Thought you asked appropriate questions, everyone did. I really enjoyed the show and loved the support you all showed Chico, he looked genuinely happy. 

And he has never said he didn't want the job, he only said his only focus right now was turning around the outlook of the kids. He just wants to build some confidence in the kids and for them to taste some success. 

Without naming names or throwing current employees under the bus, could you provide some insight into how RV is/was perceived within the football program? Players opinions? Staffs opinions?

That's a really difficult question to answer on a public forum....puts me in a lose/lose situation. You want to grab a cup of coffee sometime, we could talk, lol.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 word answer, Osbourne, Berglund, Greer.  Good man, wish him the best and hope he wins out ---but how people can even fathom to make this case baffles me.  Slow news day is my best guess.

Its because they hear it from the players.  Fans think that these guys know everything and they value what they say.  In which I do to, they know a hell of a lot more about the X's and O's than me.  This doesn't mean that I have to agree with their business philosophy.  The AD job is a business job, they don't have to be athletes.  The AD is running an athletic program/ business not running/ mastering a 10 yard post route.

I've personally talked about why we shouldn't hire Chico to numerous players via tweets/IG/text, all these guys played here.  Why wouldn't they want to see their OC get the job?  They played with him, in most cases makes them more emotional attached to Chico than me.  We disagreed but we all understood that if(when) UNT hires one of the coaches being mention, they will be happy for UNT.   They just think the right guy is already in place.  A lot of them were actually supurised that these coaches being mentioned were actually interested.  

Oh, the irony. We must be the laughing stock to RV and the 17. 

You're right. I can control cloud ceilings. 

Maybe you can give us some more nuggets of scheduling knowledge based on this year's schedule.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Other than that, I am way too close to the situation, because I KNOW the man, and I know this school, I want what is best for both. He cares about this place, he really does. My opinion is biased, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. 

And I am going to leave it at that, I think Chico would be the best HC at North Texas. And that will be the last I say of it....on a positive note, MEAN GREEN WIN and the whiny orange get shut out :)

Look dude, he cares about being a head coach, be it here or Troy St. The fact that you are -20 posts in and campaigning like a mofo for him tells me he has violated a promise not to campaign (especially if what you said about your connection to him is true).

He wants his paycheck, and he doesn't care where he gets it. He isn't San alumni and could give a crap about UNT. If he were offered a head coaching gig at SMU, he would leave us behind in a heart beat. 

Keep up your pro-Chico campaign. All it proves is that the guy is desperate for a head coaching job, and will do anything to get one, anywhere.

• Downvote 1

Look dude, he cares about being a head coach, be it here or Troy St. The fact that you are -20 posts in and campaigning like a mofo for him tells me he has violated a promise not to campaign (especially if what you said about your connection to him is true).

He wants his paycheck, and he doesn't care where he gets it. He isn't San alumni and could give a crap about UNT. If he were offered a head coaching gig at SMU, he would leave us behind in a heart beat. 

Keep up your pro-Chico campaign. All it proves is that the guy is desperate for a head coaching job, and will do anything to get one, anywhere.

So, are you saying that you love your job so much that you would do it for free? He wants his paycheck? Of course he wants his paycheck!  Both emotional (being successful at a school that few have been successful before) and (like everyone else) monetarily. And just in case you don't realize it,  so would any of the people mentioned as candidates for the job.  And I'll clue you in on a another concept......none of those candidates that the various posters have mentioned here would feel the least amount of guilt if they got over payed to come here.  

But all of that would be a more desirable thing to you (and others) than a coach that really wants to be here and really wants to do what other coaches have not been able to do?

Let me make a bold statement here. Based on what I've seen of Coach Canales, he couldn't possibly do a worse job than any of the coaches we've hired here since Corkey Nelson was fired.

• Upvote 6

Not as great as it is that you have absolutely no say in anything that happens at this university....no matter how many immature and tasteless banners you fly :) you petulant, little child.

Our banner got the media writing stories about whether 14 years of losing under Rick Villarreal ought to bring a change at AD.

I'd say that was money well spent.

It's great you like Canales, but face facts: If he was OC anywhere else, his team's win-loss record in the last six years would get him zero consideration for a head coaching job. The only way he should get any for this one is if the team beats Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State and UTEP.

Let me make a bold statement here. Based on what I've seen of Coach Canales, he couldn't possibly do a worse job than any of the coaches we've hired here since Corkey Nelson was fired.

You must have developed amnesia during the Dickey years. His team won 26 straight conference games, beat Baylor and Texas Tech, won our first bowl in decades, won four conference championships and produced seven NFL players.

• Downvote 1

You must have developed amnesia during the Dickey years. His team won 26 straight conference games, beat Baylor and Texas Tech, won our first bowl in decades, won four conference championships and produced seven NFL players.

Four conference championships, that basically made us king of the dipsticks.....and didn't significantly increase season tickets sales and/or attendance. The Baylor win is great, but Matt Simon also beat Texas Tech, and Corkey Nelson, with his very underfunded 1-AA team beat them in 1988. In fact North Texas was behind 0-21 at half time in that game. 

The rest of the time, Dickey never tried to win any OCC games, and I was in attendance at a pre-game gathering for the 06 Texas game when Dickey told the group "I hope that Dr. B. remembers how much money we are getting for this game when she looks up at the score board at the end."  Surprise, surprise, we lost the game 56-7.

It was too late to get a refund, otherwise I would have gone home right after that. In the history of NCAA coaches, I've NEVER heard of a coach making a comment like that to a group of alumni/fans.

I can think of only three NFL players, Cody Spencer, Brad Kassell and Patrick Cobbs. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I can think of only three NFL players, Cody Spencer, Brad Kassell and Patrick Cobbs. 

Phil Armour, Colts (2000)

Adrian Awasom, Giants (2005-2007), Vikings (2011)

John Baker, Rams (2000-2001)

Patrick Cobbs, Dolphins (2006-2010)

Brad Kassell, Titans (2002-2005), Jets (2006-2007)

Cody Spencer, Titans (2004-2005), Jets (2006-2008)

Brian Waters, Cowboys (1999,2013), Chiefs (2000-2010), Patriots (2011)

I don't know if any of those are merely practice squad or not.  It's all per Dickey's Wiki page.  (Heh.  Dickey's wiki)

Edited by oldguystudent

Four conference championships, that basically made us king of the dipsticks.....and didn't significantly increase season tickets sales and/or attendance. The Baylor win is great, but Matt Simon also beat Texas Tech, and Corkey Nelson, with his very underfunded 1-AA team beat them in 1988. In fact North Texas was behind 0-21 at half time in that game. ...

Yes, Dickey had many faults. I don't claim otherwise. But to suggest no coach could do worse than him at UNT is crazy talk. If McCarney did as "bad" as Dickey the fan base would be ecstatic.

Winning those four conference championships under Dickey meant a lot at the time. You can't get anywhere in football without first being strong in your own conference. Boise State was once our Big West conference mate. Look at where they've gotten by winning consistently at each level since then.

The other NFL players who played for Dickey are Brian Waters, Adrian Awasom, John Baker and Phil Armour.

• Downvote 1

Phil Armour, Colts (2000)....recruited by Matt Simon

Adrian Awasom, Giants (2005-2007), Vikings (2011)

John Baker, Rams (2000-2001).... recruited by Matt Simon

Patrick Cobbs, Dolphins (2006-2010)

Brad Kassell, Titans (2002-2005), Jets (2006-2007)

Cody Spencer, Titans (2004-2005), Jets (2006-2008)

Brian Waters, Cowboys (1999,2013), Chiefs (2000-2010), Patriots (2011)....recruited by Matt Simon

I don't know if any of those are merely practice squad or not.  It's all per Dickey's Wiki page.  (Heh.  Dickey's wiki)

Look sir, I am Pro Chico, but I'm not campaigning for him, I don't have to. Nothing I say on this message board matters in the least bit to the people making this decision. My opinion doesn't matter to anyone but me. Nothing that happens on this board is influencing decision makers, this is a place to discuss our football program, and there are a plethora of opinions, but they are all opinions. I'm not right in my thinking, neither are you, neither is anyone else, we all have differing views on what will work and what won't. There are guys championing a man who only knows his dad (played for his dad in HS, in college, has coached his entire 8 year career for his dad and has one year calling plays under his belt) but people think he could take this program to the next level. 

i don't know why you're so angry, but your statement is very much invalid. I don't want to argue with you, you don't like the guy I like for the job, the guy you like for the job isn't coming here, we are in the same boat.

At the end of the day, I'm going to support this university, whoever it chooses to hire, because this place gave me an education and a future and I know the world is bigger than what I want. I'm North Tecas 'til I die.

Edited by eoj221
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2