DeMarcus Smith

UNT90

The interview with Vito happened after Mac was let go, the meeting and DeMarcus' behavior started changing two games before.

Yes.  Exactly.  The story now happily fits a narrative that throws no blame on Mac.  Find me a source that states the above BEFORE Mac was let go and I will believe it.  Otherwise the most likely thing is that two classy individuals decide to not place blame on a man they respect.  

• Upvote 2

Yes.  Exactly.  The story now happily fits a narrative that throws no blame on Mac.  Find me a source that states the above BEFORE Mac was let go and I will believe it.  Otherwise the most likely thing is that two classy individuals decide to not place blame on a man they respect.  

2 unrelated things, both from Chico's post-game presser:

1. He said that DaMarcus is still having a hard time grasping the offense and has a lot of work to do.  Why would he need to say this now if he were following a "narrative"?  Why can't there be truth in both?   McCarney's nepotism cost him his job and several wins/team confidence.  It was apparent.  Can we honestly say that after a summer and fall practice, DaMarcus was absolutely ready and knew the playbook just as well as McNulty?  I don't believe that.  There is truth in DaMarcus not being ready (therefor not being the best option to start) either.

2. Did y'all hear that due to DaMarcus being out this week @ funerals, Chico was considering putting GREER in to start the UT-SA game and then bring DaMarcus in later?   Does this mean McNulty is now the 3rd string QB?   I'd MUCH rather see McNulty out there than Greer.  But, Greer is Chico's guy.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
autocorrecting UT-SA to UTKFC is dumb
  • Upvote 1

The passing game hasn't improved since Portland State. Nearly identical save for TDs/INTs.

The running game has exploded. We went from 3.95 through PState, to 6.00 yards per rush the last three games. DaMarcus' ability to go down field, as well as create space allows the running game more room.

I just hope this is DaMarcus' floor (equal to McNulty's ceiling) in terms of passing as he gels with his teammates. Holds on to the ball too long, is a little too cavalier, and needs some touch. Too Kaepernicky. 

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 4

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/249

I'm okay with Smith's passing game.  I don't think it is that good, but I think he can work on touch.  I can understand people's skepticism, however,  because he has had 2 or 3 years and several coaches to build up that aspect of his game...so where is progress?

That being said, he brings a rushing element to our game that is helping EVERYTHING.  Wilson appears to be more productive, average point production is up, first down conversions are up and as a result our defense seems to be getting more rest (not all the time though...disappointed in the TOP for UTKFC).

1.  Exactly my analysis.  He's a terrible passer.  This is likely why we were his only offer after his JUCO year.
Also correct that if defenses gear up to stop the run, we are in trouble.  That was proven in his first two starts, and will be the case for the next three games.

2. UT-San Antonio down to their fourth string quarterback, was one of two teams that might be as bad as us.  The other is UTEP.

1. He's a 55% guy in JUCO. I agree that isn't ideal. I thought so before the season. He's basically a home run hitter. I'm hoping the coaching staff will help him make up for the incompletions with better play-calling that allow him to gain a few yards no matter what. 

The thing about gearing up to stop the run is this: They can't. He can chuck it down the field and isn't totally inaccurate that he can't burn teams with that. Also, we aren't running ISO into the line where they have an advantage. We are optioning them, and play actioning them. D. Smith's biggest runs came on option keepers. 

2. We could/should have beat an equally bad Rice and SMU, also, so I don't feel bad this win. This was a team that we should have beaten and we did. There's something to be said for that. 

2 unrelated things, both from Chico's post-game presser:
1. He said that DaMarcus is still having a hard time grasping the offense and has a lot of work to do.  Why would he need to say this now if he were following a "narrative"?  Why can't there be truth in both?   McCarney's nepotism cost him his job and several wins/team confidence.  It was apparent.  Can we honestly say that after a summer and fall practice, DaMarcus was absolutely ready and knew the playbook just as well as McNulty?  I don't believe that.  There is truth in DaMarcus not being ready (therefor not being the best option to start) either.

2. Did y'all hear that due to DaMarcus being out this week @ funerals, Chico was considering putting GREER in to start the UT-SA game and then bring DaMarcus in later?   Does this mean McNulty is now the 3rd string QB?   I'd MUCH rather see McNulty out there than Greer.  But, Greer is Chico's guy.

I agree that from Canales' comments we can glean that the only man that thought McNulty was the best option was Dan. That the guys who Canales preferred are a 55% passer who doesn't have the playbook down and a guy who was awful in his three previous starts says a lot about Chico. 

• Upvote 3

Smith's passing game is awful. 

Plain and simple. 

I doubt he will ever improve to "good" quality as a passer, I'm just hoping he can get to average. 

If it weren't for his feet, Mini Mac would be the better option. 

I don't agree with this, simply because Smith is able to throw the long ball.  McNulty cannot throw further than 10yds down the field with any more accuracy than Smith.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with this, simply because Smith is able to throw the long ball.  McNulty cannot throw further than 10yds down the field with any more accuracy than Smith.

valid point, but do defenses respect the long ball from Smith more than from Mini Mac? 

Edited by UNT90

No.  Smith's long balls sometimes look like live drive-type punts. 

Also, in response to aztec, UT San Antonio is the only school against which Smith has been a "home run" hitter.  He's played in six games, starting three. 

We need the new coach to bring in FBS QBs.  You have to be able to throw the ball.  Completing 43.8% of passes doesn't cut it.  We need quarterbacks who help us compete in every game they play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

valid point, but do defenses respect the long ball from Smith more than from Mini Mac? 

He can complete the deep out and the WR screen, so that's something teams have to worry about that they didn't have to before.

But I think it's more complex than just DaMarcus. The pass protection is just not there. WRs aren't getting open soon enough, DaMarcus isn't anticipating downfield. Add that to DaMarcus' propensity to hold onto it too long. Play-calling has been just okay.

It ends up where you have either the pocket collapsing on him in 3-4 seconds, or him having to use his legs to make a play. If he doesn't get strip sacked next game I will be pleasantly surprised.

If his legs sets us up to win games, and his arm doesn't lose them, I can handle that for the next season and a half. We've got a whole offseason for him to get it together with his teammates, learn the playbook, and for us to go out and grab a QB with the next coaching regime. 

Kind of reminds me of Matt Davis last year. And Davis has improved as a passer (by our historic standards).

Also, in response to aztec, UT San Antonio is the only school against which Smith has been a "home run" hitter.  He's played in six games, starting three. 

We need the new coach to bring in FBS QBs.  You have to be able to throw the ball.  Completing 43.8% of passes doesn't cut it.  We need quarterbacks who help us compete in every game they play.

I'll counter your "sometimes" with this "sometimes" NFL-type throw. @1:49

Either way, does McNulty's "deep" balls ever actually make it to the receiver?

• Upvote 3

Smith's passing game is awful. 

Plain and simple. 

I doubt he will ever improve to "good" quality as a passer, I'm just hoping he can get to average. 

If it weren't for his feet, Mini Mac would be the better option. 

you cray, quit being such a Debbie downer, Coach. 

He has a looooooooooonnnnngg way to go to be Derek Thompson.

Let that sink in for a minute. 

Not really.

Proper coaching, better scheme and he can be better.

Its pretty obvious Smith has more tools than Thompson. Thompson had the same offense for all his years here. He had stability. Had all those years to learn the offense. You cant really compare Smith to Thompson at this point. 

Not sure you can sit there and call the guy awful at this point. Give him a full spring and summer in a program with better coaching and an offense designed to fit his skills and then we will talk. 

Lets say you bring in a guy like Cumbie or Applewhite and let them rebuild Smith. Smith has a decent year passing with somewhere around 55% completion percentage and 2800 yards or more. Well he would draw way more NFL interest that Thompson ever did. 

• Upvote 3

He has a looooooooooonnnnngg way to go to be Derek Thompson.

Let that sink in for a minute. 

You're bat shit crazy if you really believe that. I say Derek as a 3 yr starting senior is currently better than our first year 3 game starter, sure. The only thing allowing that to happen is accuracy. Once Smith gets it down it will not even be debatable. Smith is a 2500 yd pass 1000 yd rush guy next year once it all comes together. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You're bat shit crazy if you really believe that. I say Derek as a 3 yr starting senior is currently better than our first year 3 game starter, sure. The only thing allowing that to happen is accuracy. Once Smith gets it down it will not even be debatable. Smith is a 2500 yd pass 1000 yd rush guy next year once it all comes together. 

Accuracy doesn't magically happen for a college senior. 

Look at the numbers at the end of this year and you will see how far DS has to go to reach DT's productivity level (in a very limited offense, by the way). 

It'll be a journey.

Look, I hope for improvement, but more than that I hope for immediate competition from a graduate transfer. 

Let the best QB win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It just doesn't happen, no. But it's a very coachable flaw. 

Next season, DS will throw for more yards than DT did in his senior year. He'll rush for more yards this year than DT did his entire career (if he hasn't already). Our rushing productivity across the board has increased almost 30% this year since DS has been inserted and we played the top 2 teams in CUSA while doing so. The guy is going to be a gamer for us in 2016 and I'm looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 2

No. According to both Canales and DeMarcus, DeMarcus went to Canales before the Western game and asked why he wasn't starting. They got into a shouting match over what DeMarcus needed to do, but DeMarcus did agree to start doing other things needed to start. I'm not sure exactly what those things are, but they both talked about it in an interview with Vito. DeMarcus was better in the little he played in the Western and Portland State games. His performance fits with the idea he started improving two games before Mac was fired. The interview with Vito happened after Mac was let go, the meeting and DeMarcus' behavior started changing two games before. Again, imagine if he'd been doing those things from the start of Fall camp. 

Narrative.

• Downvote 1

He hit a 60 yard pass to Harris against So Miss. He hit that 40 yard pass to Kidsy v WKU. The only one he wasn't able to hit a long pass/run against was Marshall and that one he was slipping a lot / innacurate. One 'home run' per game is a good return I think. 

• Upvote 1