You're the new head coach, what offense and defense do you install?

Caw Caw

We talk so much about who we'd like to see i'm curious what all of you would do behind the wheel. Spread? Pro-Style? Run-and-Gun? Triple Option?

What is your base defense? Coverage preferences? Appetite for risk?

I thought this could be fun to see what other people think would work here.

Air Raid/Read Option/Pistol Offense

4-2-5 defense since our linebackers only seem to weigh 220 anyways. Zone blitzes out the ass

Run the ball well and set up the vertical passing game. You don't want to be Mike Leach's version of the Air Raid, you want to be Art Briles version of the Air Raid. Much more balanced and effective in my opinion

• Upvote 2

4-2-5 defense since our linebackers only seem to weigh 220 anyways. Zone blitzes out the ass

Run the ball well and set up the vertical passing game. You don't want to be Mike Leach's version of the Air Raid, you want to be Art Briles version of the Air Raid. Much more balanced and effective in my opinion

Please submit your resume to the committee.  Can you use twitter?  Do you have your own recruiting helicopter or do you know someone who can loan you one?

• Upvote 1

Base D - 4-2-5 with heavy blitz packages near or around 35% of the time. Hard press with a lot of 1 deep with a shaded safety towards the LOS and/or wide side of the field. If we're going to get beat deep, we're going to do it hitting the QB in the mouth. 

Offense would be based on what I have at my expense. Based on current recruiting trends and recruiting history, I would try to implement some form of option offense. If I couldn't in fact recruit what I wanted/needed I would go full triple option. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Base D - 4-2-5 with heavy blitz packages near or around 35% of the time. Hard press with a lot of 1 deep with a shaded safety towards the LOS and/or wide side of the field. If we're going to get beat deep, we're going to do it hitting the QB in the mouth. 

Offense would be based on what I have at my expense. Based on current recruiting trends and recruiting history, I would try to implement some form of option offense. If I couldn't in fact recruit what I wanted/needed I would go full triple option. 

Id love to play against that defense

Get Sonny Cumbie in here to run that Texas Tech - drunken Kung-Fu Master Mike Leach Offense. Several Tech QB's (Seth Doge, BJ Simon, Sonny Cumbie, Graham Harrell) threw for over 4000 plus yards in a season and 2 of them had over 5000 yard passing seasons. Cumbie can add an occasional running play to throw the defense off if he wants? It would be exciting as hell and get us on Sports Center almost weekly. As for the Defense, who cares? Ask Darrell Daniels to come back and run a standard 4-3 Defense. Tell DD he has to have 3 sacks and 1 Interception per game. He'll get it done. Our offense will score 40 or more points each week anyway. At least that is what Texas Tech used to do..

GMG!!! 

• Upvote 1

Briles runs the exact same thing that Leach Ran at Tech. the difference is Briles has the luxury of a Oline that is 10 times better than what leach had. which allows him to run the football more.  the plays are identical.

Briles was an assistant at Tech under Leach. where do you think he got this from?

• Upvote 2

Briles runs the exact same thing that Leach Ran at Tech. the difference is Briles has the luxury of a Oline that is 10 times better than what leach had. which allows him to run the football more.  the plays are identical.

Briles was an assistant at Tech under Leach. where do you think he got this from?

Briles does not run anything like Leach. 

For example, note that Baylor is #2 in the nation in rushing offense right now.  Briles has always had a much larger run element than Leach ever had. From 2004-2009 (easiest years for me to find), TT's top season rushing total was in 2008 with 1532 yards, 61st in the nation.  Baylor had that in 5 games this year.  TT had one 1000 yard rusher in that time from. 

TT's lowest rushing output was in 2007 with 771 yards rushing.  That same year at UH, Briles had one RB rush for 1597 yards, twice as many rushing yards as the entire TT team.  That UH team had 2911 yards rushing.  So UH had almost quadruple the number of rushing yards of TT.  Are you going to tell me UH in 2007 had an O Line 10 times better than TT's that year? 

Briles was running this offense in HS although he has made changes even from when he started as a college HC.  That's why Kevin Kolb was able to step in as a true freshman because he'd played in the same system in high school.  Briles may have picked up some stuff from Leach, but that is not Leach's offense.

I want to run an offense that lets us score a shit ton and win ball games. I want a Defense that stops the offense and helps us win championships.

I have always been a fan of an offense that spreads the field and has an athletic QB that is a threat to run or throw the ball. I Like the single back approach that throws in the QB read from time to time. Something similar to Baylor/Oregon. Now I know we cant get the same athletes as those programs but you can recruit speed and plug guys in the right position that gives you capabilities to win games kind of like what Patterson did at TCU.

Defense- Maybe a 4-3 that does a bunch of man/zone blitzes that lets us attack the QB more to force turnovers or mistakes

I just want a variation of the spread that actually has 2 elements that Dodge didn't.

1. Lets really use the tight end. I mean REALLY use him, not just as an occasional decoy.

2. Lets get the QB under center when we need to. It was the height of stupidity when we had the ball at the 1 yard line on 3rd or 4th down under Dodge and we lined up in shotgun.

On defense we need to be realistic that we won't have the speed we need in the defensive backfield for a while and we will likely continue to offer 10-12 yard cushions to the opposing wide receivers. But once we have the recruits we need then I would like to see a base 4-3. We don't need to be exotic on D we just need to have a scheme that shows multiple fronts and disguises our blitzes well. Remember how hard OU was laughing at Dodges defense because it was so easy to read. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just want a variation of the spread that actually has 2 elements that Dodge didn't.

1. Lets really use the tight end. I mean REALLY use him, not just as an occasional decoy.

2. Lets get the QB under center when we need to. It was the height of stupidity when we had the ball at the 1 yard line on 3rd or 4th down under Dodge and we lined up in shotgun.

On defense we need to be realistic that we won't have the speed we need in the defensive backfield for a while and we will likely continue to offer 10-12 yard cushions to the opposing wide receivers. But once we have the recruits we need then I would like to see a base 4-3. We don't need to be exotic on D we just need to have a scheme that shows multiple fronts and disguises our blitzes well. Remember how hard OU was laughing at Dodges defense because it was so easy to read. 

Im going to be realistic on defense. IT wont matter what you do in the defensive backfield if the DL gets no pressure. Playing Brooks, Preston, and McClain together will help mold the future of the secondary. Garner is a sold LB piece. The DL has been a train wreck this year. Young showed some flashes, but the DL ranks 96th in TFL. 111 in sacks. New Mexico St ranks last in TFL and Sacks and their defense is giving up 572 a game (127). When you lose at the LOS you lose everywhere.

The DL play has been shocking to me. I know a lot of people are high on KP, but his unit this year is not getting it done.

Im going to be realistic on defense. IT wont matter what you do in the defensive backfield if the DL gets no pressure. Playing Brooks, Preston, and McClain together will help mold the future of the secondary. Garner is a sold LB piece. The DL has been a train wreck this year. Young showed some flashes, but the DL ranks 96th in TFL. 111 in sacks. New Mexico St ranks last in TFL and Sacks and their defense is giving up 572 a game (127). When you lose at the LOS you lose everywhere.

The DL play has been shocking to me. I know a lot of people are high on KP, but his unit this year is not getting it done.

McNair was lined up to his back to me when WKU had the ball inside our 5 on their last TD. That dude is a true freshman and looks like an NFL LB already. I would like to see him fully developed in the weight room and technique wise and he will be the bell cow of our D as early as next year.

I was a big fan of Tauualo and still am, but he needs to be more explosive (coached better) because the potential is there. I still think KP needs to be kept by the new HC based on his recruiting capabilities alone. 

McNair was lined up to his back to me when WKU had the ball inside our 5 on their last TD. That dude is a true freshman and looks like an NFL LB already. I would like to see him fully developed in the weight room and technique wise and he will be the bell cow of our D as early as next year.

I was a big fan of Tauualo and still am, but he needs to be more explosive (coached better) because the potential is there. I still think KP needs to be kept by the new HC based on his recruiting capabilities alone. 

He whiffed on a couple of easy tackled in the open field, but I agree he looks the part. I expect we see more of him as the season progresses. If you get him prepped for nx yr with Scott, and Garner we may have a decent group. Minor got to the QB on a few blitzes. Havent heard Finney's name as much as I wouldve liked.

Briles does not run anything like Leach. 

For example, note that Baylor is #2 in the nation in rushing offense right now.  Briles has always had a much larger run element than Leach ever had. From 2004-2009 (easiest years for me to find), TT's top season rushing total was in 2008 with 1532 yards, 61st in the nation.  Baylor had that in 5 games this year.  TT had one 1000 yard rusher in that time from. 

TT's lowest rushing output was in 2007 with 771 yards rushing.  That same year at UH, Briles had one RB rush for 1597 yards, twice as many rushing yards as the entire TT team.  That UH team had 2911 yards rushing.  So UH had almost quadruple the number of rushing yards of TT.  Are you going to tell me UH in 2007 had an O Line 10 times better than TT's that year? 

Briles was running this offense in HS although he has made changes even from when he started as a college HC.  That's why Kevin Kolb was able to step in as a true freshman because he'd played in the same system in high school.  Briles may have picked up some stuff from Leach, but that is not Leach's offense.

Tech didn't have several 1,000 rushers, but they had a few that were in the 800's. (Tarean Henderson comes to mind. he had a few seasons over 800 rushing).  the WHOLE entire point i am making is that the Oline Baylor is 10 times better than what Tech had.  do you even watch football? the offense starts and finishes with the Oline.
no, i'm not saying UH had a better Oline in 2007, but they face competition that was much lower than Tech at that time.  
to add, Briles has done a much better job on the recruiting front than Leach ever did.  
the reason Baylor is number 2 in rushing this year is 1, due to the fact that they really haven't played the meat of there schedule and 2. like i said in the last post, the Oline does wonders for there team.  the meat of there schedule is coming up though. i do think they are good enough to run the table in the big 12 seeing that TCU is really the only legitimate  threat. 
keep in mind those years that Leach was at Tech, he was facing National championship teams such as UT, OU and Nebraska.  and throw in some decent ATM teams and Mizzu teams and Kstate (who i would consider more than decent at that time since they won a few big 12 titles).  it makes perfect sense why they threw the ball more because they had no other choice. they couldn't compete with those guys. you cannot compare Baylor's no. 2 rushing stats to Tech's from those years. 

its a completely different ball game.

leach was a guy that was all about production. he went with what he had at that time. which really wasn't much.