UNT opens as underdog to FCS Portland State

Harry

I'm afraid WKU is going to hang 70 on us.  Maybe by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I'm just afraid that something like this will happen on Saturday as well. Our staff just doesn't seem to be doing anything right in any facet of the game. They speed it up when they should be slowing it down, and on and on. If Portland does kill us that Thursday crowd is going to be mighty sparse.

North Dakota is better than we are too. They beat Wyoming. 

Its not that they are big on the line its that they play fundamental football. They are very physical.

Also want to point out that they have 8 ints this year too. So passing the ball maybe more difficult

They must be chomping at the bit to get to McNulty's rarely accurate throws.

• Upvote 1

They must be chomping at the bit to get to McNulty's rarely accurate throws.

What do you expect? They're from OREGON. Wounded ducks is one of their major food groups!   

• Upvote 4

I'm just afraid that something like this will happen on Saturday as well. Our staff just doesn't seem to be doing anything right in any facet of the game. They speed it up when they should be slowing it down, and on and on. If Portland does kill us that Thursday crowd is going to be mighty sparse.

Even if we kill Portland State, that Thursday crowd will be sparse...in the other times we have played WKU at home, they bring about 50 people with them. Even if they brought 500 with them, it won't make up for the difference. That game may be announced at over 12k, but I doubt there will be anywhere close to that many in actual attendance...

Said the same at the radio show. SMU has yet to beat anyone else this year, after getting worked 49-23 by ECU at home, a week after losing to FCS James Madison at home. And Rice's "best team since I took the job here" is just 2-3 and got smoked 49-10 by WKU in Houston.

We will be SMU's only win this year. Their season was signed off as soon as they skunked against James Madison. Just like Portland State beating us will be the ultimate season killer for UNT if we lose (Not that the season is great). If we beat Port State, I think we might give ourselves enough confidence to maybe swing a win against one of the UT step children.

At this point, we have gotten the score run up on us (We kind of came back against Rice) by every single team we've played this year. And that gives me zero confidence that we will be Port State.

Side Note: I want Mac to sit down in his office chair after the end of the season and listen to his ranting during his preseason speech about how he thought it wasn't funny that everyone was predicting UNT to do bad. "It's not very funny" He said... No Mac it isn't funny, but the way you have coached this team is gotten so comical, that I never want to hear this man get offended when sports media predicts us to do bad in the preseason.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

Or how about when he was spewing a cuss storm where he brought himself to tears at one of the events this spring at the Hub Club?  He was literally screaming and crying about how we fans are the reason the program was not progressing because we don't come to games.

What now Mac? Still our fault?

I didn't hear about that incident. And that is very disrespectful of him to do that, or even think that about us. I have hear him gripe about how he is upset that we aren't filling the stadium up and supporting our team. I think that was in 2013 too. He has let the Florida Championship and Iowa State days get to his head, I think he is so drunk of those memories.. He doesn't need any more Grey Goose.

What this guy fails to understand, is the fact that one winning season will not do anything for attendance. This season is probably sending us back to the great depression in regards to getting our stadium attendance up. I think this guy needs to retire or go be a DC somewhere else after he leaves here. We need a coach that puts his blinders on, when it comes to attendance. Win games and the people will show. Keep a consistent winning spree, and our program will blossom into a fan driven 12th man on game days.

I am kind of getting of track with this, and beating the dead horse. But RV is not going to help this become a reality too. He is just as much to blame as DMac in regards to this fan support. Look at our schedule, and ask Mac why he is just screaming at us.

• Upvote 3

God, that was so cringey. I was working it, and he pretty much nearly got down his knees crying. It was weird and awful.

This was an Alumni event or what? I seriously think the alcohol has caused some mental/emotional damage. If anything he needs to leave for his health. But mainly because he sucks ass as a head coach

Or how about when he was spewing a cuss storm where he brought himself to tears at one of the events this spring at the Hub Club?  He was literally screaming and crying about how we fans are the reason the program was not progressing because we don't come to games.

If you are talking about his comments at the signing day event, I wouldn't call it a cuss storm, and I didn't see any tears. He was trying to get the faithful worked up and on their feet cheering about what everyone's role is. At the height of his "motivational speech" he said "all the alumni say "win coach win, but I need all of you to do your part and come out to the games and bring people with you".  Now, I regard that as a reasonable request. But true to our nature (and culture) the crowd just sat there in embarrassing silence, oblivious to the fact that he was trying give the crowd a pep talk. 

This reminded me of a story that my friend told me back when we were both attending UNT in the early 70's. And as I told KRAM1 at the signing event after Coach Mac's "talk" my story fits the situation perfectly. 

It was 73 or 74 and a well known radical (I can't remember his name) came to North Texas to have a "rally" at "people's park" during the noon hour. Well the podium and sound system was set up, and a large number of students came and sat down with their lunch (mostly bought at the Jack-in-the-box from across the street).  Well the aforementioned radical got started and got himself worked up into an evangelistic-like fervor and then suddenly realized that he was the only one making any noise. The crowd was completely silent. Well, he immediately stopped and said " what the hell is wrong with you people? This isn't a rally it's lunch time!!"  Well, my friend said that at that point several students sitting around him, still chewing on their bonus Jacks, just looked back dispassionately with a "what?" look on their face. My friend laughed about it because he knew that the students were just there to be entertained. They weren't interested in being inspired, they just wanted free entertainment while eating their favorite jack-in-the-box meal.

AND THAT boys and girls is a perfect example of one part of the North Texas culture. And Mac got to experience it himself.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

If you are talking about his comments at the signing day event, I wouldn't call it a cuss storm, and I didn't see any tears. He was trying to get the faithful worked up and on their feet cheering about what everyone's role is. At the height of his "motivational speech" he said "all the alumni say "win coach win, but I need all of you to do your part and come out to the games and bring people with you".  Now, I regard that as a reasonable request. But true to our nature (and culture) the crowd just sat there in embarrassing silence, oblivious to the fact that he was trying give the crowd a pep talk. 

This reminded me of a story that my friend told me back when we were both attending UNT in the early 70's. And as I told KRAM1 at the signing event after Coach Mac's "talk" my story fits the situation perfectly. 

It was 73 or 74 and a well known radical (I can't remember his name) came to North Texas to have a "rally" at "people's park" during the noon hour. Well the podium and sound system was set up, and a large number of students came and sat down with their lunch (mostly bought at the Jack-in-the-box from across the street).  Well the aforementioned radical got started and got himself worked up into an evangelistic-like fervor and then suddenly realized that he was the only one making any noise. The crowd was completely silent. Well, he immediately stopped and said " what the hell is wrong with you people? This isn't a rally it's lunch time!!"  Well, my friend said that at that point several students sitting around him, still chewing on their bonus Jacks, just looked back dispassionately with a "what?" look on their face. My friend laughed about it because he knew that the students were just there to be entertained. They weren't interested in being inspired, they just wanted free entertainment while eating their favorite jack-in-the-box meal.

AND THAT boys and girls is a perfect example of one part of the North Texas culture. And Mac got to experience it himself.

Holy cow. That Jack in the Box has been across the street since 73?

It's ironic to me that America/Texas/Denton will celebrate mediocrity the way it does (Jack in the Box, McDonalds etc) and yet we don't celebrate our team.

• Upvote 2

I can see him screaming, but was he really crying though? Lol, a grown man crying in front of a bunch of beefed up football players.

I had two guests with me who had not seen Mac talk before who commented on him starting to cry.

@SilverEagle can dispute it if he wants, but to me it was a disturbing situation, and at least two impartial folks thought so as well.

Is there video or audio of this tirade anywhere?

The best I could find is this.  If I remember correctly, it was right before the tirade started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU9FNRbmrK4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s 

• Upvote 1

I had two guests with me who had not seen Mac talk before who commented on him starting to cry.

@SilverEagle can dispute it if he wants, but to me it was a disturbing situation, and at least two impartial folks thought so as well.

Yeah it was disturbing and somewhat pathetic alright. But it was equal parts him and us.

But if you look at it historically, it's mostly us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i hope mac doesnt believe that. Here is the secret- winning brings recruites and attendance. Mac, balls in your court but keep this between us- cant let others find out.

• Upvote 4

I really feel his signing day speech was a pure pity party. I was close to the podium, the viens were poping out on his neck, I was truly afraid that he was about to stroke out again. Yes there was a trembling voice and crocidile tears. The recruits had to be ashamed and embarrassed. I certainly was and the irony is that he was chastising his most loyal supporters and donors. As a friend of mine stated " he wants us to bring in MGC members and season ticket holders, what is the A.D. staff doing? Sorry but I have a day job that actually pays me".