Accountability

texmusic

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe in FBS over at least the last 20 years, maybe longer, that only one FBS head coach has gone winless in a season (who was not at a program making their debut season in the FBS ranks) and kept their job and that was Phil Bennett at SMU when he went 0-12 in his second season. Despite all the talk about his contract, the AD, I still cannot see UNT keeping a head coach who goes 0-12 in his fifth season. Make no mistake, this team has one shot at avoiding that, and that's against Portland State, who based on results so far, would beat the Mean Green by 20 points.

McCarney will be gone if he goes winless and in all likelihood, our AD will announce McCarney's retirement. Now that still leaves us with an AD who'd be hiring the next head coach which is just as much of a problem.  This team needs either an upstart from the FCS or a coordinator from a BCS conference school. Frankly, I'd like to see UNt go after someone like Sonny Cumbie at TCU or Kendal Briles at Baylor.

Willie Fritz. He has recruited Texas and won at 2 places under difficult circumstances. 

I still say move McCarney to AD and find a coach.

The people saying Mac for AD are smoking the crazy shit. The dude lives in the freakin Stone Age. 

He'll run the AD just like his team. His little buddies will run everything, then suck terribly, and never be replaced. 

Enough of the crazy talk. Mac should have been left in Iowa and never allowed back in Denton. We'd be doing him a favor since he likes it there and in Florida so much. 

• Upvote 2

The people saying Mac for AD are smoking the crazy shit. The dude lives in the freakin Stone Age. 

He'll run the AD just like his team. His little buddies will run everything, then suck terribly, and never be replaced. 

Enough of the crazy talk. Mac should have been left in Iowa and never allowed back in Denton. We'd be doing him a favor since he likes it there and in Florida so much. 

right, it will be RV 2.0.

Terrible idea. 

Willie Fritz. He has recruited Texas and won at 2 places under difficult circumstances. 

Pretty impressive. But if I were a disinterested party looking at this, I might ask "why Fritz and not the coach that beat him twice in the national championship game?"

Smiley looks like a good candidate. He not only turned around the team, he did great things as the AD at TVCC. 

To semi-answer my question about Fritz, I would say that both coaches have a lot of contacts with the HS coaching ranks. Coaches don't forget it when you give their academically marginal players an opportunity to succeed. 

For those who would sneer at hiring a juco coach, is that more questionable than hiring a High School coach as HC? 

Another observation. Both are credited with turning around Juco programs. Some will not like the comparison to Juco, but I see that as closer to our "situation" than turning around a perennial bottom dweller in the B-12. With Iowa St., he really knew his territory, plus.......Iowa St. was in the B-12!

will our fan base be okay with running the triple option?

He could contact Chuck Mills former DC under Corkey Nelson, and ask him if he has any film on the "flying wishbone" offense that basically beat Tech Tech, Rice, and Texas back in 88. 

If we have to dip into the JUCO ranks to get a head football coach then we are in some serious trouble!  Either a coordinator from a top shelf program, or a head coach from a top-shelf, winning FCS program.  But damn, who the hell trusts RV to get any coaching hire right?

(with hand waving frantically in the air) Teacher, teacher, I know the answer to that one! Call on me, please, please, please...........

• Upvote 2

Well, I think it's credible that Canales will be gone after this season.  Which at least should give us the opportunity to see whether it makes any difference.

We may test your theory but I really don't think Canales is the real problem. My Dad used to tell me that a fish rots from the head.

IMO, Canales is a symptom...the cause is likely a couple of levels higher.

Oh I agree.  I thought the second sentence of my post would indicate that. 

Well, I think it's credible that Canales will be gone after this season.  Which at least should give us the opportunity to see whether it makes any difference.

why do you want Canales gone? It's not his fault his hands are tied on what QB he can recruit, what kind of talent pool he gets to coach is at the feet of the HC. It is obvious to me when Canales gets to call his offense and when Mac gets on the head set and says run the damn ball.  If I'm Canales I say F you to Mac and I call my offense all the way, and if I get canned I get canned. 

Well never mind mind you clarified.

Edited by GMG24

why do you want Canales gone? It's not his fault his hands are tied on what QB he can recruit, what kind of talent pool he gets to coach is at the feet of the HC. It is obvious to me when Canales gets to call his offense and when Mac gets on the head set and says run the damn ball.  If I'm Canales I say F you to Mac and I call my offense all the way, and if I get canned I get canned. 

Well never mind mind you clarified.

You need to look harder  it not all about play calling, it has been his recruiting skills, his development skills, his game day preparation, if your QBs can not throw past 7-10 yards through the air it is really hard to open it up. These OB's have been his choice accept maybe McNulty, Greer was the guy he was trying to recruit twice out of high school and then Juco. If Greer was worth a shit he would be starting but we all saw what he looked like last year and again this year. We saw Dajon last year after two years of coaching and he was not the guy. For the most part Canales has never had any success here, Kstate we had Lance against the NCAA's number one worst run defense in D1A that year.

Plus we would be out of our minds not to get a clean slate. 

You need to look harder  it not all about play calling, it has been his recruiting skills, his development skills, his game day preparation, if your QBs can throw past 7-10 yards through the air it is really hard to open it up. These OB's have been his choice accept maybe McNulty, Greer was the guy he was trying to recruit twice out of high school and then Juco. If Greer was worth a shit he would be starting but we all saw what he looked like last year and again this year. We saw Dajon last year after two years of coaching and he was not the guy. For the most part Canales has never had any success here, Kstate we had Lance against the NCAA's number one worst run defense in D1A that year.

Plus we would be out of our minds not to get a clean slate. 

Dont disagree that some blame falls on him, I absolutely want to clean house.  However, his hands are tied on kids he can recruit. He tried recruiting a QB from fresco ISD and McCarney said no be the kid didn't fit what HE wanted. I agree that Canales has some blame, but he doesn't get final say on who to offer that comes from the top.

• Upvote 1

will our fan base be okay with running the triple option?

I would be. Take Ivery and Wilson and throw in either Smith or Chumley as QB. All 3 are running threats, especially Chumley at 6'6''. In C-USA his size alone would take some people down and the speed and ability that the other two present would cause some real issues. I am actually really hoping that happens with the current squad that we have. Run that with some fakes here and there, double passes including Harris and we could actually have a potent offense. Running is where the bulk of our success comes from anyways.