This loss wasn't on McNulty

Harry

Most of his throws were too high or too low: he wasn't fantasti by any means. We should have seen smith at some point so we can at least figure out what we have. 

Most of is throws were completions (19/35).  Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "too high tor too low".  Too high or low for what?  There were some outright drops today too.

Plenty of blame to go around for sure, but he was just flat out not good enough. His inaccuracy led to the interception and was a problem all day.

When I played football, our coach used to say if you can get your hands on the ball, you can catch it.  The pick was on Harris not catching the ball and tipping it up in the air.  Harris went straight to McNulty after the play to let McNulty know that it was Harris' bad.  Was the throw perfect?  No, but it's not like the ball was thrown to a defender on that play.

I'm not a McNulty fan.  I don't think he can get the team where it needs to be.  But I also get tired of the exaggerations in here as well as opinions stated as though they are facts.  Things are bad enough on their own.

I'm not convinced that McNulty isn't our best option at QB right now.  I hope Demarcus Smith gets the offense down, not only to help us this year, but so we have something more to look forward to next year.

• Upvote 6

I don't wan to bash on McNulty far from it.  But let look at the facts.  This guy is a senior and has had the same OC and Head Coach his entire time at UNT and he still doesn't have 1:1 TD to INT ratio.  His completion percentage is about 50%.  if the team is not talented enough around him to win as others have suggested then why are you wasting the eligibility of other better QB prospects even though they might not be a better option right now?   At this point I would be less surprised by a 0-12 season than a 5-7 one.  Playing seniors on a losing team makes no sense to me unless the protests behind them have less raw talent.

I don't even care about beat Portland State or anyone else at this point.  I want a team that looks competitive against other CUSA teams.  I don't see that happening this year.   And if you don't even look completive again: Why are you playing a senior with less raw talent than the younger player with more eligibllity left?

• Upvote 7

Small point, but Harris had zero chance of catching that pass.  It was awful.

it was in his hands. That one was on Harris. The throw was fine. 

Look, I'm okay with a change at QB, but this game was not lost by McNulty whatsoever. 

Turnovers. Turnovers turnovers turnovers. Lack of defense. 

This one's on the whole team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So now let me address the defense.  is anyone else frustrated with the corners playing 7 to 10 yard back.  They basically give away 5 yard quick out passes to any QB with a little accuracy and velocity?  I haven't watch much CUSA Football this year but if they run the spread option system effectively more long drives against this defense to come.  Where do you see a win on this schedule beside Portland State?

• Upvote 5

Most of is throws were completions (19/35).  Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "too high tor too low".  Too high or low for what?  There were some outright drops today too.

When I played football, our coach used to say if you can get your hands on the ball, you can catch it.  The pick was on Harris not catching the ball and tipping it up in the air.  Harris went straight to McNulty after the play to let McNulty know that it was Harris' bad.  Was the throw perfect?  No, but it's not like the ball was thrown to a defender on that play.

I'm not a McNulty fan.  I don't think he can get the team where it needs to be.  But I also get tired of the exaggerations in here as well as opinions stated as though they are facts.  Things are bad enough on their own.

I'm not convinced that McNulty isn't our best option at QB right now.  I hope Demarcus Smith gets the offense down, not only to help us this year, but so we have something more to look forward to next year.

Too high or too low to give his receivers the best chance to make a play once securing the ball. They have to manipulate their body in full motion to just get a hand on the ball. I believe that is what he is taking about. 

• Upvote 1

So now let me address the defense.  is anyone else frustrated with the corners playing 7 to 10 yard back.  They basically give away 5 yard quick out passes to any QB with a little accuracy and velocity?  I haven't watch much CUSA Football this year but if they run the spread option system effectively more long drives against this defense to come.  Where do you see a win on this schedule beside Portland State?

Yes...the corner cushion is all Mccarney/lack of athletes in the secondary. Both fall on Mccarney. I do not see a win on our schedule besides Portland...and I only say that bc they are the only team on the schedule that I have not seen play. I've seen the rest and in our current state they are all better bc they literally all have better QB play. 

He played pretty damn well.  Perfectly?   No. But very well.

ugh, no. No. He. Didn't. 

• Downvote 2

I don't think McNulty was anywhere near the cause of losing this game, and I admired how he did his part today.  I do blame the coaches for what I consider a mistaken belief by our coaching staff that we can win consistently without putting up a lot of points on offense.  These days, it just isn't that unusual for teams like Marshall and Western Kentucky of the world to score 2 or 3 times the points that we do on a fairly regular basis.  I really think the game today wasn't as close as the final score indicated.  I think a big problem for us at this point is the attrition in the secondary we've experienced, but if our offense could have scored some in the second and third quarters, it could have helped our defense some.  I just think we're going to have to acquire some swagger on offense, and we need to figure out whether we'll make enough progress with having the same quarterback in the game for every play.  Short version, score more points!

Not enough footage. But the problem with allllllll of this is we are wondering if we are going to be able to beat a FCS team at home on homecoming to secure our only win of the season in our head coaches 5th season. Meanwhile, our coach is happy with our qb's performance and will feed us more bs on his radio show than I would like to admit. AD will not be held accountable for this garbage dumpster fire just like he hasn't caught much of nothing for the torturous bball abomination that has been going on in the super pit for the last 4 years. 0 accountability anywhere to be seen by anyone. That's why, as much as it honestly kills me, am not going to any more games in any sport until serious changes take place. 

To add, I would happily increase my donation 3 or 4 fold if an AD change takes place, happily. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
Add
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would happily increase my donation 3 or 4 fold if an AD change takes place, happily. 

The downside to that, no matter your preference, is that if a few dozen or so donors did the same thing, that increase would go directly to the salary payout, and not to the program itself.  I assume that most of you think that a change would be the same as a boost to the program with or without it being fiduciary in nature, but I wanted to make sure that this is perfectly clear just in case anyone else didn't realize that was the case specifically.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 1

The downside to that, no matter your preference, is that if a few dozen or so donors did the same thing, that increase would go directly to the salary payout, and not to the program itself.  I assume that most of you think that a change would be the same as a boost to the program with or without it being fiduciary in nature, but I wanted to make sure that this is perfectly clear just in case anyone else didn't realize that was the case specifically.

I understand that. I also know that good hires will raise the revenue and quickly pay back the buyout money. I'll gladly give more and substantially more to see buyouts take place because it tells me that North Texas is done playing 2nd fiddle. Until then, I'm out. 

Both decisions made will lose money. Keeping these coaches in place the loss will not be written in the wall, but any business analyst worth their salt will see the loss of potential revenue by keeping them. Buyouts are short term loses to gain more long term. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
Add

This loss wasn't all on McNulty, but he certainly didn't perform at the level a starting 5th year senor should. Having said that, we played bad in almost every area of the game, and there is plenty of blame to go around.

• Upvote 2

#5 did not lose us the game, you're right. However, he also doesn't have enough to win the game once the third qtr thrashing began. multiple passes to the outside that got jumped and broken up due to lack of zip. Had those made it to the WR's in a timely fashion drives would have been extended and it probably would have opened up our running game - Speaking of - why is it that we knew their DE's were thin/weak yet we didn't consistently attack the edges? Are we too slow at RB to do that?

I feel like the first half our offensive play calling was ok but second half it seemed A) Rice made adjustments and B) the offensive play calling regressed.

I guess the good news is: It is almost impossible to go 0-ffer in a season so maybe the sun will shine on this dogs ass at some point this season. 

• Upvote 6

pretty famous saying...."if you're not the solution, you're the problem." 

Then the entire team was the problem.

I thought McNulty was fine today.  While he was lousy last week, he certainly didn't lose us the game against Rice.  This one has plenty of blame to go around....mostly with our defense, which was a colander.

Edited by CMJ

This loss wasn't all on McNulty, but he certainly didn't perform at the level a starting 5th year senor should. Having said that, we played bad in almost every area of the game, and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Completely agree ^

McNulty, being that guy that scored the first touchdown in our almost 5 year old stadium. Should be putting up better numbers then what he's putting out. What I see coming from McNulty, should be a performance coming from a freshman QB. The guy is a Senior.....

just attacking McNulty isn't fair though. The guy did get some attention, with the coming back drives. However, the damage was done. And I feel like Coach Mac, needs to seriously reevaluate the team's attack tactic going into Iowa. 

This team needs to work on a lot of things to change some minds about our season around here..

• Upvote 1

I think the root cause of the problem is with the staff here. They are asking a guy who shouldn't throw over 20-25 times a game to sling 30+ times and do it in a highly efficient manner. McNulty is too inconsistent to do what they are asking him to do. Bashing him for his inabilities is just a waste of time. Bash the staff for setting this team up for failure. The game has passed Dan McCarney up. It's a shame bc we have some talent out there. With the right staff we would be 2-0 heading to Iowa which would seem like a winnable game. Instead we are looking at 0-4 and lost season. 

• Upvote 4

I think the root cause of the problem is with the staff here. They are asking a guy who shouldn't throw over 20-25 times a game to sling 30+ times and do it in a highly efficient manner. McNulty is too inconsistent to do what they are asking him to do. Bashing him for his inabilities is just a waste of time. Bash the staff for setting this team up for failure. The game has passed Dan McCarney up. It's a shame bc we have some talent out there. With the right staff we would be 2-0 heading to Iowa which would seem like a winnable game. Instead we are looking at 0-4 and lost season. 

100% accurate statement. Thank RV for handcuffing us to them. 

Remember, "this is only the beginning." 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1