SMU AD just tweeted this out

Harry

hate to burst your bubble but SMU and UNT are not that different racially....

UNT

African American - 14%
Asian - 5%
Hispanic - 19%
International - 4%
Native American - 1%
White - 54%
Unknown - 1%

SMU
African American - 6%
Asian - 6%
Hispanic - 11%
International - 8%
Native American - 0%
White - 64%
Unknown - 1%

so your numbers show UNT has about 133% more population of African Americans, nearly double the population of Hispanics, while SMU has nearly 20% more Whites? Did I get the numbers right?

• Upvote 3

Seems to me that they may just be a little concerned that UNT will have more students than SMU has attending this game?  Is that possible?

I know that it appeared the SMU students showed up late to the Baylor game.  It will be interesting to see.

I don't know why they should be concerned or we should really even tout that.  SMU is at least 1/3 or less the size of NT and they're just 30-45 mins apart from each other so it's almost inevitable that almost any school local to this region will be able to have more fans at Ford than their own.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have never sold out your stadium... correct?

Your stadium that seats less people than Ford?

I think I'd hold off on the crowd smack talk.

We have also never been out numbered by the opposing fans. I'm willing to bet that in all of SMU's sell outs, SMU fans have been the minority. 

• Upvote 1

so your numbers show UNT has about 133% more population of African Americans, nearly double the population of Hispanics, while SMU has nearly 20% more Whites? Did I get the numbers right?

Thst's some fuzzy math. Plus, you didn't mention the fact that SMU has twice the percentage of international students as UNT. 

SMU still needs to work on its diversity but it is more diverse than it gets credit for. Percentage wise SMU has twice the international population as UNT. Even though most wouldn't think so, SMU is more diverse than TCU and very similar as Baylor. Both SMU and Baylor are 64% white. 

SMU has a little over 11,000 students, right?  See, percentages matter more in terms of ethnicity population, but total numbers are a more valid gauge in terms of international students, since there are only so many who actually want to (and CAN) study abroad.  So there are about 880 international students at SMU, and UNT has 1480.  This is the only portion of that that hadn't been addressed, but yeah, it's not quite the same as comparing actual ethnicities from the student population to the actual population, especially when you start to get into graduate programs, who is teaching and who is not, etc.

• Upvote 2

Please . . . just stop.  Are we really going to argue that one school is better than another because of its racial demographics?

nope you're not following. 

MJavier just wanted to point out the diversity at SMU and how similar it was numbers wise to UNT. I was just pointing out that the numbers say that they are not similar. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am amazed that SMU has the money to hire so many 'extras' to fill their stands for a video.

they are smarter than that. What they do, at least for one game, is find a gullible local AD to book a series with so that school's fans will actually PAY to fill SMU's stands with thousands of fans, while only the SMU staff go to the game at that other school.

Pretty brilliant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

they are smarter than that. What they do, at least for one game, is find a gullible local AD to book a series with so that school's fans will actually PAY to fill SMU's stands with thousands of fans, while only the SMU staff go to the game at that other school.

Pretty brilliant.

90 it's game day. Come on man. 

• Upvote 4

• Harry locked this topic