The University of North Texas is expanding to Frisco, pending university officials signing a lease for roughly 30,000 square feet for offices and classrooms.

A new center, combining efforts from several colleges at the Denton campus, will feature a crime data center, new degree programs that have yet to be announced and courses like data and web analytics and graphic design.

“You can think about it as having business communications and technology as the core activities, but we’ll be able to offer other build-to-suit degree programs that offer site-specific workforce development for one of the hottest regions in America,” UNT President Neal Smatresk said.

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150828-unt-to-expand-to-frisco.ece

It's been in Frisco for years.  They took over Wakeland High School at night.  It was lovely that when I signed up to attend school in Denton, that several times they would force me to drive to Frisco and/or that god forsaken Universities Center building in downtown Dallas.  In theory, this should be convenient for people who live in Frisco.  In practice, they're going to force people to drive there from Denton.

Expansion is good if it positively promotes the UNT brand. However, like it or not, a good football team does more for name recognition than anything else.

As for scheduling classes that are on different campuses I don't see how that can happen. I have been out of UNT for many years but when I enrolled in a class it told me what building the class was in. Granted those days we had a print out schedule and telephone registration. I can only assume ( I know assume is the most dangerous word in the English language) today's system is more user friendly.

If you cannot schedule classes at the correct time and on the correct campus perhaps college isn't your path...

A place to buy UNT gear would be nice in the Frisco area, however it would put an end to the trips to Denton to make those purchases.

Because once in Denton you are back in the vortex. The familiar situations arise; "I will just head by cool beans for a burger and a beer, is isn't like I know anyone in Denton anymore..." Later that night at 2 am you find yourself somewhere in Denton trying to book an Uber cab because you can't drive and for some reason you thought you could still drink Jager!

The outside benefit is that it is Denton and you are only out $30 dollars because you can still have a killer time in Denton for cheap!

• Upvote 4

Expansion is good if it positively promotes the UNT brand. However, like it or not, a good football team does more for name recognition than anything else.

As for scheduling classes that are on different campuses I don't see how that can happen. I have been out of UNT for many years but when I enrolled in a class it told me what building the class was in. Granted those days we had a print out schedule and telephone registration. I can only assume ( I know assume is the most dangerous word in the English language) today's system is more user friendly.

If you cannot schedule classes at the correct time and on the correct campus perhaps college isn't your path...

A place to buy UNT gear would be nice in the Frisco area, however it would put an end to the trips to Denton to make those purchases.

Because once in Denton you are back in the vortex. The familiar situations arise; "I will just head by cool beans for a burger and a beer, is isn't like I know anyone in Denton anymore..." Later that night at 2 am you find yourself somewhere in Denton trying to book an Uber cab because you can't drive and for some reason you thought you could still drink Jager!

The outside benefit is that it is Denton and you are only out $30 dollars because you can still have a killer time in Denton for cheap!

You might end up knowing some one in Denton because he still rocks Eagles Landing after 20 years. You might leave his apartment after vomiting in his sink at 4 am. This could also lead to vomiting behind the QT the following day while the nice old lady manager looks at you in disapproval as you might try and use the excuse of food poisoning. I might also tell the Hooters waitress you are in the crapper, not behind the gas station, as you've been gone from the table for 25 minutes.

Beware. There are hazards in going to buy a t-shirt at the union and having 1 beer.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 6

Pre-game meal at Sweetwater off the square. Rick Reed, the new owner of Sweetwater, acquired the old State Club chicken tender recipe ( I know I am dating myself!!!!). They are awesome. Of course there is cold beer and alumni hanging around from the 1990's, if that is your thing. East side Social Club is also a great place to link up with alumni who aren't as vintage... I am more of a bar pre-game guy than a tailgater so my views are skewed. 

• Upvote 7

So this is with the Rice 1:30 kickoff in mind...

8:00 AM - Walk to breakfast at Cafe Loco or Seven Mile

10:00 AM to Kick - Tailgating, hitting up Emmit's, Harry+KingDL1+UNT90's, and the Alumni Pavilion's festivities / alternatively pregame with the Young Alum crew at Eastside, grab bus to tailgating

1:30 to 4:30 PM - enjoy some Audacity cans during the game

5:00 PM - post-victory brews at Eastside, OSDH&CP, and Harvest House

8:00 PM - dinner at Barley & Board

10:00 PM - nightcap at Paschall's, pop down to Andy's to check on a show that I booked

1:00 AM - take a Wondervan home; hopefully with my good friend Reagon driving

Boom.

• Upvote 6

You might end up knowing some one in Denton because he still rocks Eagles Landing after 20 years. You might leave his apartment after vomiting in his sink at 4 am. This could also lead to vomiting behind the QT the following day while the nice old lady manager looks at you in disapproval as you might try and use the excuse of food poisoning. I might also tell the Hooters waitress you are in the crapper, not behind the gas station, as you've been gone from the table for 25 minutes.

Beware. There are hazards in going to buy a t-shirt at the union and having 1 beer.

I would say you should look into AA but that is for quitters. You sir are no quitter. 

So this is with the Rice 1:30 kickoff in mind...

8:00 AM - Walk to breakfast at Cafe Loco or Seven Mile

10:00 AM to Kick - Tailgating, hitting up Emmit's, Harry+KingDL1+UNT90's, and the Alumni Pavilion's festivities / alternatively pregame with the Young Alum crew at Eastside, grab bus to tailgating

1:30 to 4:30 PM - enjoy some Audacity cans during the game

5:00 PM - post-victory brews at Eastside, OSDH&CP, and Harvest House

8:00 PM - dinner at Barley & Board

10:00 PM - nightcap at Paschall's, pop down to Andy's to check on a show that I booked

1:00 AM - take a Wondervan home; hopefully with my good friend Reagon driving

Boom.

Tell me more about this Wandervan.  Better than Uber?

• Upvote 2

Tell me more about this Wandervan.  Better than Uber?

They're certainly comparable, though Uber is a publicly traded national fleet enterprise and Wandervan is a local start-up with two refurbished VW vans.

This is probably the most scientific testing between the two: http://wedentondoit.com/blog/2015/8/16/uber-vs-wandervan

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

8:00 AM - Walk to breakfast at Seven Mile

I really need to check that place out one of these days, but the winds have just never blown that direction for me.  

Is the coffee place across the parking lot in the old church affiliated to them?  If so, regardless of how good the food may be, I've got to say that the entire time I spent getting a $4 cup of coffee in there, I felt like no what what I did, what I said, who I was, where I came from, where I was going, I wasn't worthy and was somehow abusing fair trade indigenous primate farmers in the delicate coffee producing rain forest held under the brutal dictatorship of a Nestle subsidiary who dared brew their coffee without the proper air pressure.

• Upvote 1

I really need to check that place out one of these days, but the winds have just never blown that direction for me.  

Is the coffee place across the parking lot in the old church affiliated to them?  If so, regardless of how good the food may be, I've got to say that the entire time I spent getting a $4 cup of coffee in there, I felt like no what what I did, what I said, who I was, where I came from, where I was going, I wasn't worthy and was somehow abusing fair trade indigenous primate farmers in the delicate coffee producing rain forest held under the brutal dictatorship of a Nestle subsidiary who dared brew their coffee without the proper air pressure.

So here's the thing. The spot you're thinking of is Seven Mile Cafe, adjoined to the coffee shop where you felt diminished.

Cafe Loco is on the same street, a block East, and across from The Greenhouse of whom they share ownership,

I prefer Loco.