COA UNT ranks 4th among CUSA Schools

Mean_Green09

That's weird.  Are we still one of the 100 Best College Buys or whatever?  I thought they included the cost of housing in that list.  If the answer to both of those is yes, then isn't it odd that we'd be the 4th highest in CUSA?

Also...do we know if they get it monthly, or is it in a lump sum?  I hope it's the former.  If the point is to help them out, expecting EVERY 18-year-old freshman to follow a strict budget seems a bit unrealistic and they probably shouldn't get it all at once.

Ok--Baylor and Rice declined to comment on the COA they will offer. Of the other 10 Texas schools, we are paying the 5th highest COA. That really, really, reeeaaaallly surprises me. More than our Texas SBCUSA colleagues, more than SMU, and, shockingly, more than A&M.

Something doesn't really add up here...

RV takes some heat on here, but I do think this is an area where he hit the mark in terms of preparation and budgeting.  I am really pleased to see us high up in the C-USA ranks.  Certainly respectable nationwide.

My question is why are the Florida schools so high up the list?  I am thinking it is due to the cost of living in Miami and Boca.

Ok--Baylor and Rice declined to comment on the COA they will offer. Of the other 10 Texas schools, we are paying the 5th highest COA. That really, really, reeeaaaallly surprises me. More than our Texas SBCUSA colleagues, more than SMU, and, shockingly, more than A&M.

Something doesn't really add up here...

I seem to recall that this is based off of numbers the schools have already reported for several years. Numbers that had nothing to do with athletics.

I suspect that some of the big boys out there will begin to change their reporting starting this year so they can give more in the future.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3

Hey, this is Texas. You know that bird has to be batter dipped & fried before it hits that plate.

Breasted out, season with salt and pepper, wrap in bacon with various fillings and you'll do way better than batter frying it.

And filled with West Nile...

So, if I correctly understand, this is not the Number UNT has given as what it will "pay" the respective athletes, but it is what CBS calculated should be COA from what UNT put into previous budgets.

Still no word from the athletic department or the administration. What is the hold up?

Also I am surprised at how many C-USA schools will not offer COA in 2015. UNT might provide the second highest amount in all of C-USA.

Also: Should I be worried that this COA thing might end up providing incentive to live off-campus, because you get 900$ more?

Edited by outoftown

RV takes some heat on here, but I do think this is an area where he hit the mark in terms of preparation and budgeting.  I am really pleased to see us high up in the C-USA ranks.  Certainly respectable nationwide.

My question is why are the Florida schools so high up the list?  I am thinking it is due to the cost of living in Miami and Boca.

These schools have the highest student fees in the conference and FIU is considerably larger than UNT. It does not take rocket science to see why they can pay more. I really think the whole thing is an absurd entitlement forced on everyone else by the P5 just to gig the G5 a little more hoping that many of our group will go away leaving more of the TV pie for the greedy P5 schools.

• Upvote 1

These schools have the highest student fees in the conference and FIU is considerably larger than UNT. It does not take rocket science to see why they can pay more. I really think the whole thing is an absurd entitlement forced on everyone else by the P5 just to gig the G5 a little more hoping that many of our group will go away leaving more of the TV pie for the greedy P5 schools.

That's exactly what this is. The simple minded refuse to see it how it is. 

• Downvote 1

Yeah, that was mentioned as likely before any of this ever came out, that FIU and FAU would probably be pretty high if they decided to go along with all of it, just because of the locations.