MGB: Pre-spring questions series No. 2 -- Can UNT survive the sked?

Brett Vito

1) I don't know if I consider games at Iowa and at Tennessee 'body bag' games. While its unlikely we win these games, I certainly expect us to go in and compete at a high level like we did @ K-State in '12 and @ Georgia in '13. When I think of body bag games, I think of @LSU, @Alabama or @Texas of yesterdyears.

2) We need to quite complaining about the schedule being too damn tough. Its time to put up or shut up. We wanted out of the Sun Belt and into a better conference, so here you go. If we want to go to the next level and be a team that is a respected as a mid major program, then we have to beat good teams, plain and simple.3

3) Not having a bye week and playing 12 straight weeks sucks, especially for a team like us who lacks quality depth in case of injuries.

4) Only 5 home games sucks, especially when one is an FCS school from halfway across America.

5) I wish there was a way to not have all the in-state conference games all at home one season and then all away the next. Its great this year to have all three at home but it really hurts attendance next season.

• Upvote 3

1) I don't know if I consider games at Iowa and at Tennessee 'body bag' games. While its unlikely we win these games, I certainly expect us to go in and compete at a high level like we did @ K-State in '12 and @ Georgia in '13. When I think of body bag games, I think of @LSU, @Alabama or @Texas of yesterdyears.

We lost those games by 14 and 24 points. I would really love to get to the program to a place where a two touchdown loss isn't some sort of bragging point.

• Upvote 3

2) We need to quite complaining about the schedule being too damn tough. Its time to put up or shut up. We wanted out of the Sun Belt and into a better conference, so here you go. If we want to go to the next level and be a team that is a respected as a mid major program, then we have to beat good teams, plain and simple.3

3) Not having a bye week and playing 12 straight weeks sucks, especially for a team like us who lacks quality depth in case of injuries.

4) Only 5 home games sucks, especially when one is an FCS school from halfway across America.

5) I wish there was a way to not have all the in-state conference games all at home one season and then all away the next. Its great this year to have all three at home but it really hurts attendance next season.

1) Tennessee will be pretty good next year, I'm expecting them to turn around like Ole Miss did. I'm not sure about Iowa. We got our ass kicked by Georgia, Murray should of went for 600 yards but over threw his receivers in the first half. Saying that we were tied in the beginning of the 3rd quarter isn't much to brag about.

2 & 3) Spot on

4) 5 home games does suck, but having an FCS school will help out tremendously. Much rather have an FCS school come this year than a KU or Indiana

5) Agreed, but if we win games, fans will show up regardless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4) 5 home games does suck, but having an FCS school will help out tremendously. Much rather have an FCS school come this year than a KU or Indiana

But it's not an either/or thing. We should have 2 nonconference home games every year, for a total of 6 home games. It looks like 1 of those 2 will be an FCS school every year, which I'm perfectly okay with. Then you have 2 home and homes (one away and one at home), and 1 bodybag game. The problem is that we have 2 bodybag games this year. Keep Portland State (or maybe a more local FCS school that will draw more, like a SWAC school), then switch out one of those bodybag games for a school like KU at home. Then our OOC schedule looks a lot better, and we still get that easier win against an FCS like Portland State.

Yeah, getting Tennessee now is a lot different than getting them 3-5 years ago. They blew out Iowa in a bowl game and, I believe, lead the nation in returning starters. Plus just signed their second straight top 5 in the nation class. Getting blown out by Indiana (a 4-8 team) and hanging with Kansas State in 2012 (a BCS team) proved that if we're good and prepared, we can hang. But if we aren't a good team this year then we can get embarrassed.

Brett made a really good point. We may be improved and not improve record wise. Last years' team might've gone 2-10 against a schedule like this. So we'll need a big improvement to have a shot at reaching a bowl game.

• Upvote 1

I will concede the Georgia game not being that close. But we played a good game against Kansas State in '12 and were within striking distance most of the way. Take away the kick off return for a TD and you never know what would have happened. My point is mainly that I would rather play at Iowa and/or Tennessee than at LSU or Alabama. Tennessee will be better and they play great at home so yes, maybe it is a body bag game. But Iowa could be a winnable game for this program, especially with the team we had in 2013.

I believe that the quarterbacking will be much improved over last year and most other positions will have better overall talent but I don't have a lot of faith in a good record. My best case scenario is 7-6. More likely is a 3 or 4 win season.

We should still be a stronger team than last year in spite of a poor record. We will play closer games but the stronger schedule, especially away games, will make it very difficult to have a winning record.

I believe that the quarterbacking will be much improved over last year and most other positions will have better overall talent but I don't have a lot of faith in a good record. My best case scenario is 7-6. More likely is a 3 or 4 win season.

We should still be a stronger team than last year in spite of a poor record. We will play closer games but the stronger schedule, especially away games, will make it very difficult to have a winning record.

I am with GE on this one. We could improve rather significantly and still finish 4-8 because of the schedule. I think the best this team will finish is 6-6, but really think 3-4 wins is about right if we are improved. If we are worse than last year, its 2 wins or less, for sure.

I seee wins against Portland State, @SMU, and 1 or 2 other wins at home against UTEP and UTSA. Don't see us beating Rice or WKU at home, don't see us beating La Tech, Southern Miss, MUTS, or Marshall on the road, and just pray that the checks don't bounce from the Iowa and Tennessee games.

2016 is the season I'm hoping to see us get back to .500. And, by 2017, hopefully we will get back to challenging for a CUSA Title. I figure its gonna take that long to get solid QB play in this offense and to get the defense strenghtened up to a level that would look like 2013's did.

We lost those games by 14 and 24 points. I would really love to get to the program to a place where a two touchdown loss isn't some sort of bragging point.

This.

And Iowa and Tennessee are absolutely body bag games. They pay us to come take an ass whoppin, just like we are paying Portland St.

No difference.

• Upvote 1

I will concede the Georgia game not being that close. But we played a good game against Kansas State in '12 and were within striking distance most of the way. Take away the kick off return for a TD and you never know what would have happened.

Take away the 78 points OU scored on us in 2007 and we were right in that game, also.

Not the way football works.

• Upvote 1

I think Portland St. & SMU are the only sure wins on the schedule.

I'm thinking we're catching Iowa at a good time. They're losing their starting QB, and all but 1 of their handful of all-conference performers were seniors. McCarney has shown a propensity of taking inferior teams to Kinnick and coming out with wins.

Davis' Tennessee team is getting better and better under his watch. This game should have been played a few years ago. This, to me, is the only sure-fire loss on the schedule.

All other games will come down to how the QB position shakes out and how Cosh's Defense works (especially up front).

• Upvote 1

Seems like people are cautious about counting UTSA as a win, even though they had a team full of seniors last year and they struggled against us in SA. Yes, I know they won the last two years. So what. If they beat us with all the turnover they had, somebody should resign the next day. They will be rolling out a scout team.

Take away the 78 points OU scored on us in 2007 and we were right in that game, also.

Not the way football works.

Minor point of contention. I saw it in person. It was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Or so I thought. Then we went and played at Rice the next season..

Regardless (and to your point) 24-point losses aren't cause for celebration. Ever.

The only "win" on the schedule is Portland State. Improved QB play should be good for another handful of games. Markedly improved QB play could put us back in a bowl game. We're going to live and die with the play of the QB, period.

As for the schedule being difficult, last season we had an "easy" schedule that produced 4 wins, so I think it's hard to predict anything with much certainty based on the previous year's results.

• Upvote 1

Minor point of contention. I saw it in person. It was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Or so I thought. Then we went and played at Rice the next season..

Regardless (and to your point) 24-point losses aren't cause for celebration. Ever.

The only "win" on the schedule is Portland State. Improved QB play should be good for another handful of games. Markedly improved QB play could put us back in a bowl game. We're going to live and die with the play of the QB, period.

As for the schedule being difficult, last season we had an "easy" schedule that produced 4 wins, so I think it's hard to predict anything with much certainty based on the previous year's results.

I was there, also.

I guess 78 was just me being my usual, optimistic self. ;-)

• Upvote 1

The Georgia loss may not be something to boast about and definitely not something to hang your hat on. But, I think it inspired a fan base and inspired the players. The fact that "lil ole unt" was hanging in there and that blocked punt by Trice gave everybody a glimmer of hope.

Honestly that game and "The stand" are my favorite UNT memories. A close third would be that Middle Tennessee QB getting destroyed late in the game while the crowd sang Na Na Na Na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye. Then BOOM BLOWN UP!!!!

• Upvote 2

I've been staying away from schedule talk, but with the recruiting season wrapped up, an unknown at DC, and McNulty still hanging onto the QB spot, the 2015 schedule is looking very scary. Mac & his staff may have put in their finest coaching performance if this season ends in a .500 record...