2015 Spring Roster

BillySee58

The 2015 Spring Roster is now up on MGS.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

A few things worth noting:

- another defection from the 2012 class in Lajaylin Smith, no longer on the roster. Now all the Lousiana signees from that class are no longer with the team.

- tight end Cooper Jones no longer on the roster. Had a year left of eligibility.

- defensive back Zach Whitfield no longer on the roster. Helps explain why we so desperately made sure we got a JUCO corner even after so many targets committed elsewhere

- still a lot of incorrect grade classifications

- numbers have been assigned to spring enrollees

- funny misspelling of Brian Ochs' name

- Still no Shanbour on the roster, but it sounds like he has been participating in offseason

- TVCC Lineman Garrett Gunter added (walkon)

- Evangel University and former South Grand Prairie receiver BJ Ebozue added (walkon)

- Former Plano high DB Bobby Jefferson added as well (walkon)

Where can I access the offseason workout reports?

If Marcus Smith is our pass-catching TE, I could see Kelvin Smith getting time early. Great blocker on tape, and could help out OL if there are any concerns going into the fall. I haven't scoped out any of the other TEs on the roster, but Reinhardt's a big dude on paper.

I find it odd that the highest rated QB's to come to UNT in the last few years, Jones, Dillman and Chumley, will all probably end up at TE. Did we ever even try Jones at QB? Just curious.

One thing I've mentioned with my offer-list based rating scale is that ratings and offer lists usually match up pretty well. But when they don't match up (i.e. 3-star with unimpressive offer list or 2-star with impressive offer list) the offer list is usually the more telling reference.

For example, Cooper Jones was technically a 3-star QB but his only offers we're from a service academy (Air Force) and an FCS school (SFA). Likewise, that class we also brought in a 2-star offensive lineman in Cyril Lemon. But he had 7 FBS offers. If you're just going off the star-ratings, Lemon was a remarkable 2-star who ended up being a 4-year starter and Jones was a 3-star QB who never played a meaningful snap. But if you look at my offer-list based scale, Lemon was an "A" recruit who became a 4-year starter and Jones was a "C+" recruit who never started. Reasons like that are why I think the offer-list based ratings are better for us in particular to look at, especially when they don't match up.

Also, Jones played QB in 2011 when he redshirted. Mcnulty played as a true freshman that year. And Chumley was not highly rated as a QB. He was highly rated as an athlete/tight end. Scout was the only site that rated him as a QB, and they had him as a 2-star. And ULM was the only other school giving him a chance at QB. As for Dillman, I've said enough about him. Think he should be given a shot at QB, but I guess he won't.

Davis saw some time last year and performed well, IIRC.

He is very athletic. He did do well in coverage, but his ball skills were not quite there yet. I remember he had a Southern Miss receiver blanketed, but he didn't make a good play on the ball and the receiver caught it in the endzone over him. Hopefully someone steps up between Davis, Jackson twins, and Grindle. All are very good athletes, so that's a start.

He is very athletic. He did do well in coverage, but his ball skills were not quite there yet. I remember he had a Southern Miss receiver blanketed, but he didn't make a good play on the ball and the receiver caught it in the endzone over him. Hopefully someone steps up between Davis, Jackson twins, and Grindle. All are very good athletes, so that's a start.

He didnt give up any TDs. He gave up a post against so miss that led to a field goal. I think the coverage was close based on the commentary. I didnt see it. Played about 60 snaps at corner, while buyers was moved to nickel. Was beat on the one long post at so miss, and two more short routes during the year. FAU he got beat on a short route with close coverage and I think when they were in prevent against SMU they caught something underneath. Coverage was tight all year.

Jury is still out on whether he can stop the run or fight off blocks. Thats important with the way we play defense. If he cant, he will be back to nickel corner again.

Yep Billy, I am well aware of your recruit rating system, but it just crossed my mind that those three will all end up being TE's. Still wish they would give Dillman a shot, but as I was once told, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which one fills up first.

I'm kinda interested in the Jackson twins.

Yep Billy, I am well aware of your recruit rating system, but it just crossed my mind that those three will all end up being TE's. Still wish they would give Dillman a shot, but as I was once told, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which one fills up first.

I was just making a point, while Rivals had Jones as a 3-star, his offer list suggested that the 3-star rating was misleading from the beginning. And if Chumley does move to tight end, it shouldn't be surprising considering he was not highly rated as a QB and his offer list as a QB was not impressive. So neither being moved/potentially being moved to QB should really be all that surprising. Dillman did have a good rating and great offer list as a QB, so that one is more questionable.

But as MeanGreenTexan said, Dillman could see playing time this year if he picks things up quick. Kelvin Smith still has a long way to go, growth wise (officially weighed in at 224 this past summer).

Billy, it isn't surprising to me that Chumley didn't have an impressive offer list at QB after watching his videos. Regardless of their offer lists, they were still more highly rated than anybody else on the roster except maybe Jones who I think arrived at the end of the Riley Dodge years. Jones, unless I am mistaken, was never given a shot at QB, and it is obvious that Dillman, although he had an incredible offer list at one time, won't either. Funny how these coaches will give Chumley a shot but won't even consider Dillman.

Again, it was just a general observation.

Thanks for the clarification on Jones. I didn't think he was given a shot as I never read or saw anything about him at QB.

Back on topic, it looks like Sid Moore lost some weight over the off season. That is concerning considering his position at DT. Also noted that Barr is about 20 pounds lighter than what was reported during his recruitment.

Question for those close to the program. Any news on Jalen Montgomery? I thought he was a steal when we signed him based upon his video, but nothing is ever said about him which isn't good.

The 2015 Spring Roster is now up on MGS.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

A few things worth noting:

- another defection from the 2012 class in Lajaylin Smith, no longer on the roster. Now all the Lousiana signees from that class are no longer with the team.

- tight end Cooper Jones no longer on the roster. Had a year left of eligibility.

- defensive back Zach Whitfield no longer on the roster. Helps explain why we so desperately made sure we got a JUCO corner even after so many targets committed elsewhere

- still a lot of incorrect grade classifications

- numbers have been assigned to spring enrollees

- funny misspelling of Brian Ochs' name

- Still no Shanbour on the roster, but it sounds like he has been participating in offseason

Click on the link again. He's on it now. I guess the roster is an ongoing process until spring practice begins.

That brings the number of "ship" and "non-ship" QB prospects to nine going into spring practice. If they all come back after spring practice, then Mr. Smith makes it ten going into the fall practice.

Billy, it isn't surprising to me that Chumley didn't have an impressive offer list at QB after watching his videos. Regardless of their offer lists, they were still more highly rated than anybody else on the roster except maybe Jones who I think arrived at the end of the Riley Dodge years. Jones, unless I am mistaken, was never given a shot at QB, and it is obvious that Dillman, although he had an incredible offer list at one time, won't either. Funny how these coaches will give Chumley a shot but won't even consider Dillman.

Again, it was just a general observation.

Like 90 said, and I said it a few posts back, Jones did play QB during his redshirt year in 2011.

The deal with Chumley and Dillman is that Chumley was insistent on playing QB. We had offer him a chance to play QB or else he wouldn't sign with us. Dillman was fully committed to Nebraska, even if the new staff wanted him to play tight end. If Dillman would've been insistent on playing QB once his recruitment opened back up, maybe we still would've offered him. But he wasn't, and I guess the coaches feel he wouldn't have been able to beat out our young QBs like Dajon, Means, and Chumley (I think he could) so he's just going to be a tight end from Day 1.