'15 DL Roderick Young (Spring Dekaney)

Harry

Also had a Colorado State offer. He's not a guy you show off as a headliner of your class, but he's a good DT to get this late in the process, especially considering he has the size to play nose/1-tech.

Considering the problems we've had keeping the our DT's committed and healthy (see latest news re Dutton Watson), I'm excited about someone we can call good at the position. Welcome aboard, Roderick!

• Upvote 1

Yeah they fared pretty well against us in the bowl last year.

C-USA didn't play the Mountain West--North Texas played UNLV, the 6th place team out of the Mountain West. Regardless, I'm talking about perception. C-USA teams did better in bowls this past year than the American Conference, but everyone knows that the American is at least a notch higher.

And my point was that it's not like we beat out Savannah State and UT-Chatanooga for this player--he passed on some pretty good opportunities in favor of us.

• Upvote 3

C-USA didn't play the Mountain West--North Texas played UNLV, the 6th place team out of the Mountain West. Regardless, I'm talking about perception. C-USA teams did better in bowls this past year than the American Conference, but everyone knows that the American is at least a notch higher.

And my point was that it's not like we beat out Savannah State and UT-Chatanooga for this player--he passed on some pretty good opportunities in favor of us.

Yes I think C-USA went 4-1 in bowls this past year. I think you equate the Mountain West to what they were when TCU and BYU were there. Just a difference of opinion.

On paper- not impressed. Only other offers were from lower programs, Nevada and Air Force.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nevada 7-6 lost to ULL in New Orleans bowl. Air Force 10-3 beat Western Michigan in Idaho bowl. I wouldnt bash either of those schools after the 4-8 season we had.

Boise State (12-2) and Colorado State (10-3) also offered him.The paper you are looking at is wrong.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4

Eulessismore mentioned Dutton Watson. It's really unfortunate what happened with Watson, but I think it's another example of converted defensive ends struggling to stay healthy after moving inside. Because our defensive tackle recruiting has struggled in recent years, we've had to play a lot of converted defensive ends inside, and most of the ones who have played a lot of snaps have struggled to stay healthy.

Boutwell (missed most of 2012), Watson, and Austin Orr did not have the natural size to play inside. They worked their butts off to get their weights up, but guys like Sir Calvin Wallace, who hold the weight naturally, are more suited to the beating inside. It's one thing having converted defensive ends playing 3-tech, but guys like Watson and Orr have had to play nose/1-tech in the past. Guys like Young, Harrison, and Tauaalo hold 280+ naturally, which will allow guys like RD Wegmann to play 3-tech instead of nose. That's going to be good for us in the long run.

• Upvote 7