North Texas Recruiting Budget

BillySee58

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2335595-which-college-football-teams-spend-the-most-and-least-on-recruiting?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=recruiting

Yes, I know, BleacherReport. But according to this article, we have the 2nd lowest recruiting budget in the country, of all schools who compete in FBS for football. 2nd only to UL-Monroe. I don't entirely know what to make of this. A big part of this is that we may have the highest percentage of players on our roster from our own state in the entire country, at least in football. Do we need to spend more money in recruiting? Do we have more money to spend? I'm not going to attempt to be an expert on what type of budget we have to work with.

Also, this includes all sports both Men and Women.

Edited by BillySee58

Part of it is our location - we just don't have to travel very far cause there are so many good players in our back yard. However, I would like to see it be higher because it allows for things besides travel, and could allow us to make a better impression when the kids are on campus for their official visits.

Again, it points to are we trying to be the best we can be or just getting by?

This may or not be our budget. The way this reads is that it is our recruiting expenses. We could have budgeted far more and we have responsible coaches that manage their budget well. We also don't spend stupid money on stuff like landing a helicopter on a high school campus or things of that nature. If we aren't flying people all over the country and make a lot of day trips where no hotel is required, then we keep costs low simply because we aren't traveling as far.

There could also be accounting differences that factor here. Depending on how a school handles things, an expense could be attributed to another area. For example, if a school has coaches rent cars for recruiting trips, then that expense would be attributed to recruiting versus telling a coach that they are to use the vehicle that we give them as part of their contract on recruiting trips which would be a coach expense. There are a lot of ways that this doesn't completely reflect how much is spent on recruiting. I don't think I would use this as the final indicator on how we allocate money to recruiting.

• Upvote 2

And there's La Tech, sitting in second place for getting the biggest bang for their buck.

I checked their numbers against the report in The Equity In Athletics cutting tool and that amount for North Texas Men's recruiting budget is correct, but that $152,769 is for All Sports, not simply for football. Our women's recruiting budget is $121,543. Our total recruiting budget is $274,312.

The reporting date for this info is from September 2013 thru September 2014.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

This may or not be our budget. The way this reads is that it is our recruiting expenses. We could have budgeted far more and we have responsible coaches that manage their budget well. We also don't spend stupid money on stuff like landing a helicopter on a high school campus or things of that nature. If we aren't flying people all over the country and make a lot of day trips where no hotel is required, then we keep costs low simply because we aren't traveling as far.

There could also be accounting differences that factor here. Depending on how a school handles things, an expense could be attributed to another area. For example, if a school has coaches rent cars for recruiting trips, then that expense would be attributed to recruiting versus telling a coach that they are to use the vehicle that we give them as part of their contract on recruiting trips which would be a coach expense. There are a lot of ways that this doesn't completely reflect how much is spent on recruiting. I don't think I would use this as the final indicator on how we allocate money to recruiting.

There is a lot of truth here in what forevereagle writes, not to mention its bleacher report, which immediately throws credibility aside.

But, in reality, us being second to last on a recruiting budget wouldn't surprise anyone, especially in the way we run athletics here. Recruiting travel is one of the best ways to save money--both from a lodging standpoint and a travel standpoint. We save money better than almost everyone...its why we are a great "value". We don't win much, but that is not what the athletic department is asked to do by the BOR and administration. They are asked to stay within budget--and RV always does just that.