Decommits can be a positive thing

Harry

Has anyone pondered the fact that having all these decommits may mean that the coaches are going after the right players? Players that other schools higher up the food chain are interested in. Sure I'd love to keep every one of them, but I also appreciate that the coaching staff is going after good talent.

I just don't think decommits necessarily means that things are going "wrong"... Its unfortunate but it happens when you go after the better players.

Has anyone pondered the fact that having all these decommits may mean that the coaches are going after the right players? Players that other schools higher up the food chain are interested in. Sure I'd love to keep every one of them, but I also appreciate that the coaching staff is going after good talent.

I just don't think decommits necessarily means that things are going "wrong"... Its unfortunate but it happens when you go after the better players.

Very true

• Upvote 1

Also, a decommit by its nature infers the player didn't want to play here or found someone else for whom he prefers to play. Clearly this has been the case with some of our decommits, but not all.

When it is a mutual decision, i.e. we encourage the player to open up his search, the inference of player's decision remains. In fact, we are giving the guy advance notice that he should look at his options. Looks negative regarding our school but in fact is doing the right thing for both player and school.

GMG

• Upvote 1

The individual cases may not all be that bad, but as a whole having this many is bad. And that's just the truth.

In the case of Cody Wheeler, losing kids who Texas Tech wants, even if he wasn't a lifelong Texas Tech fan, is not something you can do a lot to protect against.

Losing the other guys is a different story. The other guys are not ditching us for P5 schools. We need to be locking up our commits and convincing them that they made the right choice the further removed from the commitment they get. These guys are choosing to reevaluate their options and thinking that they need to spend more time and make their decision. You have to have your kids completely sold on the program, and it really shouldn't be that hard for commits. They obviously really like your school if they committed in the first place.

We've had way too many kids decommit from us without any P5 offers. That just can't be happening in the future. Cody Wheeler is not an example of the problem we are having. His situation just doesn't exactly help it.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

We talked a lot preseason how important a winning season in 2014 was to keep the momentum going.

Not only was 2014 a disappointing season, the 2014 post-season has been a double kick to the balls, starting with Chico not being held responsible for terrible QB evaluation followed up by all these de-commits.

It just confirms to the recruits that old St. Louis HC statements as applied to UNT:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

Edited by UNT90

We talked a lot preseason how important a winning season in 2014 was to keep the momentum going.

Not only was 2014 a disappointing season, the 2014 post-season has been a double kick to the balls, starting with Chico not being held responsible for terrible QB evaluation followed up by all these de-commits.

It just confirms to the recruits that old St. Louis HC statements as applied to UNT:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

Yep, yep and yep.

Good video analogy.

0 accountability. 0.

And having decommits is never a good thing, never. Sends the wrong message to current commits and current and future recruits.

We have to step our game up in every single aspect.

• Upvote 2

We always lose kids that want to go up the foochain in college football. Texas HS kids and parents and coaches grew up watching the teams now in the SEC and Big XII play week in and week out--those were their teams. Meanwhile, since 1983, we were playing Nicholls State, McNeese State, Northwestern Louisiana, Northeast Louisiana (ULM now), Southwest Texas State, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, New Mexico State, Idaho, Nevada, Utah State, Boise State (before anyone knew who they were), Arkansas State, Louisana-Lafayette, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Western Kentucky, Troy, and South Alabama as conference mates until 2 years ago. Nobody can be surprised when big time AQ schools or current AAC or MWC schools take our commits--its our place ont he ladder until we do something about it for a decent amount of time (iow, not just one year).

One thing that very few realize is how fortuante we are, though, to get transfers from AQ schools where these recruits get sold on the glitz and glamor of playing in a huge stadium or great league, but then find themselves buried on the depth chart. It sounds awesome to go to Oklahoma...until Oklahoma only uses you as a practice squad guy. To me, that's where we get more help from decent talent, since we cannot get highly regarded HS talent to come here to play usually, for all of the reasons we have talked about.

• Upvote 2

I still don't get the excitement over "going after higher rated kids".

If your kinda pretty girlfriend (2* guys that commit) breaks up with you (decommits) it's not a point of pride that you asked the hot girl (kid with multiple offers) out and she said no.