New UTSA helmets

NT03

Who the hell cares?

we all should...

UTSA...in their first four years of football have...out played, out coached, out recruited, out scheduled, out branded and out marketed NT.

Roadrunners are working hard to hit the next step (AAC) and we're standing still in our horn striped pants.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

we all should...

UTSA...in their first four years of football have...out played, out coached, out recruited, out scheduled, out branded and out marketed NT.

Roadrunners are working hard to hit the next step (AAC) and we're standing still in our horn striped pants.

And will continue to do so until we decide to take athletics seriously.

• Upvote 2

For the year 2013, North Texas had $28,964,050 in revenues and $28,960,127 in expenses, a profit of $3,923. A margin of 0.0145%.

Of the $28,964,050 in revenues, $17,628,426 was subsidized, defined as the sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money.

That is, 61% of revenue came from student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money.

Source for all these nifty numbers

As things stand, it would be a bad move in the eyes of any reasonable businessperson to start throwing more money into the fire a la buying out contracts and whatnot. In fact, by definition, a contribution margin of 0.0145% is so close to zero as to make any prospective investor indifferent to the opportunity.

So, what do we mean by taking athletics seriously? Do we mean imposing even more unilateral fees on the backs of the students (that we as alumni DON'T have to pay) because "That's what other schools do?" Sounds a lot to me like taking out an ARM in 2006 because that's what every other "savvy" real estate investor was doing.

I don't have a reasonable answer as to how we would "take athletics seriously" if I'm correctly interpreting that to mean that the program moves up through the conference ranks until it is eventually a full member of a hopefully still viable Big XII. At least, I don't see a viable, sustainable model that would boost us to such lofty heights in less than five years. But I do see that it isn't so easy as running up student debt and swapping out ADs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Buy outs at universities are normally funded by alumni tired of losing. This money is directed specifically toward a buy out and can't be spent on anything else.

Fly has told us the money from alums exists to buy Benford out at any time when the time comes (or has passed, in this instance).

University budget really has nothing to do with it.

Buy outs at universities are normally funded by alumni tired of losing. This money is directed specifically toward a buy out and can't be spent on anything else.

Fly has told us the money from alums exists to buy Benford out at any time when the time comes (or has passed, in this instance).

University budget really has nothing to do with it.

The money exists to buy out a coach, while money is needed in areas like assistants, recruiting, and nutrition? If that money could be spent on recruiting, maybe we wouldnt have to buy out head coaches.

• Upvote 1

we all should...

LOL! You don't out "brand" somebody.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yeah, you kind of do. Their shithole bird "brand" is starting to become more popular than our eagle "brand." In San ton it would be a rare thing if not almost impossible to see any UNT anything...In DFW I see that crap bird pretty frequently.

I wouldn't expect to see NT merchandise for sale in SA just like I don't ever see UTSA merch in DFW.

If you got a problem with merchandise, take it up not with NT Athletics but with the fine folks over in the URCM department. They have a death grip on our "branding" and so all apparel merchandise approvals flow through them.

LOL! You don't out "brand" somebody.

brand /brand/

verb

to produce a vivid impression

Synonyms BRAND, ETCH, IMPRESS, IMPRINT, INFIX, INGRAIN (also engrain)

A brand is a name, term, design or other feature that distinguishes one seller's product from those of others.

Brands are used in business, marketing and advertising.

brand /brand/

verb

to produce a vivid impression

Synonyms BRAND, ETCH, IMPRESS, IMPRINT, INFIX, INGRAIN (also engrain)

A brand is a name, term, design or other feature that distinguishes one seller's product from those of others.

Brands are used in business, marketing and advertising.

Keep in mind that a brand is an intangible asset therefore it is very difficult to gauge whether UTSA or UNT has a better brand. Given that UNT has been around for more then 100 years and UTSA has only been around since 1969, it's pretty easy to draw the conclusion that NT has more "brand equity" then UTSA.

I'm pretty sure we still out impress or imprint UTSA in other areas then just football.

Keep in mind that a brand is an intangible asset therefore it is very difficult to gauge whether UTSA or UNT has a better brand. Given that UNT has been around for more then 100 years and UTSA has only been around since 1969, it's pretty easy to draw the conclusion that NT has more "brand equity" then UTSA.

I'm pretty sure we still out impress or imprint UTSA in other areas then just football.

this is the football forum...

Adidas ($14Billion) founded 1920's and Nike ($23Billion) founded 1970's...so what?

please ask Phil Knight how to out-brand the competition? He beat them...at their game...at most every level....including "branding"

this is the football forum...

Adidas ($14Billion) founded 1920's and Nike ($23Billion) founded 1970's...so what?

please ask Phil Knight how to out-brand the competition? He beat them...at their game...at most every level....including "branding"

This is a football forum and you reference two apparel companies and the creator ok Nike. Ummmm ... OK.

I'd argue Under Armor is rewriting the rules on branding (if that's what you want to call it) as they are a leading company in sports performance apparel. Not bad for a company that isn't even 20 years old.

I think you and I have different ideas on what branding is and is not.

This is a football forum and you reference two apparel companies and the creator ok Nike. Ummmm ... OK.

I'd argue Under Armor is rewriting the rules on branding (if that's what you want to call it) as they are a leading company in sports performance apparel. Not bad for a company that isn't even 20 years old.

I think you and I have different ideas on what branding is and is not.

exactly...that's the point....I used the shoe company analogy to debunk both of your ("you can't out brand something" & "brand equity" ) statements.

We are selling a product/brand here at UNT...college football is a business. To help sell our product...we need to do a better job.

At this point (four years into their football program) USTA is the Nike/Under Armor...whatever (fill-in the blank business)...and doing a better job than us...

I have to admit...that I am little envious of UTSA's vision, efforts & commitment in regards to athletics.

• Upvote 1

exactly...that's the point....I used the shoe company analogy to debunk both of your ("you can't out brand something" & "brand equity" ) statements.

We are selling a product/brand here at UNT...college football is a business. To help sell our product...we need to do a better job.

At this point (four years into their football program) USTA is the Nike/Under Armor...whatever (fill-in the blank business)...and doing a better job than us...

I have to admit...that I am little envious of UTSA's vision, efforts & commitment in regards to athletics.

One better. Texas State has been out-marketing and out-merchandising us for 12 years now. RV knows this as I've reminded him of it several times over the past many years. Now UTSA is out-performing us, only they are ALSO doing it on the field.

WHOOSH!!!!

Rick

• Upvote 2