Chris Cosh...possible 3-3-5

GOMG2013

I was more interested in what we would be running vs who. I am pleased with the experience this guy has and that he has run the 3-3-5 defense. While the 3-3-5 may not be good for big 10 & SEC football, it would be good for mid majors and CUSA.

it will allow us to use our current talent better, and also fits the type of talent we are capable of getting in this area. Lots of athletic safety and lbs in Texas. Lots are tweeners too.

Some Lbs may convert to safety. Ellis and Marshall?

I mentioned in the other thread that he was running the 4-3 at USF, Maryland, and SC when he was coordinator.

He ran 3-3-5 at SC, then they switched to 4-3 in 2003, his final year. I can understand the switch being in the SEC...USF he lasted only one year running the 4-3. Then he moved on to buffalo, who runs the 3-3-5. Kstate, where he had most of his success was 3-3-5.

Based on his success, our conference, and our personell, I would predict 3-3-5.

Didn't we see this guy at the last game ever in Fouts?? If memory serves, Dunbar ran all over his defense that day. I don't remember the base formation that they used, though.

Edit: Holy S***! http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2010

Edited by TIgreen01

Need a huge NT to run a 3-3-5. Unless there is a surprise be the end of the day, we don't have that on this roster.

Not really. This isnt the NFL.

Looking at teams that run 3-3-5 & 3-4...

ULM Gerrand Johnson 283

WV Kyle rose 294

SDst Sam Meredith 275

AF Troy timmerman 260

UtSt Elvis kamalla 298

Mary Darius kilgo 310

BYU Travis tuiloma 280

Navy Bernard sarra 303

Ark st Clifford Thomas 280

Buff kristjan sokoli 281

AzSt Jaxon hood 301

Not saying these are NT's, but size isn't an issue based on the sizes of other NT's listed:

70 Sir Calvin Wallace DT 6-2 296 RS SO Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS 91 Austin Orr DT 6-4 277 JR Seabrook, TX Clear Lake HS 59 Joe Kaho DT 5-10 253 JR Watauga, TX Central HS 95 Alexander Lincoln DT 6-2 275 SR Cibolo, TX Steele HS 15 T.J. Tauaalo DT 6-2 288 FR Keller, TX Central HS 98 Dutton Watson DT 6-3 283 RS SO Midland, TX Midland HS 94 Mustafa Haboul DT 6-0 267 RS SO Arlington, TX Martin HS

Not saying these are NT's, but size isn't an issue based on the sizes of other NT's listed:

70 Sir Calvin Wallace DT 6-2 296 RS SO Tyler, TX Chapel Hill HS 91 Austin Orr DT 6-4 277 JR Seabrook, TX Clear Lake HS 59 Joe Kaho DT 5-10 253 JR Watauga, TX Central HS 95 Alexander Lincoln DT 6-2 275 SR Cibolo, TX Steele HS 15 T.J. Tauaalo DT 6-2 288 FR Keller, TX Central HS 98 Dutton Watson DT 6-3 283 RS SO Midland, TX Midland HS 94 Mustafa Haboul DT 6-0 267 RS SO Arlington, TX Martin HS

No, size isn't the biggest factor but it doesn't hurt either.

More than anything you need someone with SOME size that has speed and agility to draw a double team and most importantly, a NASTY disposition.

The only dude we currently have on our roster that I've seen with that skill set is Sid Moore. He's got decent size, he has a motor that goes pretty good and he don't like nobody across from him.

Rick

Need a huge NT to run a 3-3-5. Unless there is a surprise be the end of the day, we don't have that on this roster.

Arizona runs a 3-3 with 288 lb NT, backed up by an even smaller guy, 247 lbs. The other DT is 277.

Not saying this is what we should do, just saying there may be ways around the old axiom about the big guy in the middle.

Arizona runs a 3-3 with 288 lb NT, backed up by an even smaller guy, 247 lbs. The other DT is 277.

Not saying this is what we should do, just saying there may be ways around the old axiom about the big guy in the middle.

What do you mean "other DT"? There is no other DT beside the NT in a 3-3-5 (or a 3-4, for that matter).

Size is one thing, but if the guy has good/passable size and great speed and technique, that's even better. A lot of people put emphasis on raw size, but forget none of that is worth anything if that player isn't mobile, disciplined, and well-trained.

Sid was about 255 last year.

Not a nose.

Our LBs will also need to be bigger without losing any speed.

Fred Scott has enough size. Anthony Wallace. Too much size. They need to lose a few so they can get quicker.

The other LBs are small. Thats why im hoping for a 3-3-5 stack defense where there's 3 safeties.

No, size isn't the biggest factor but it doesn't hurt either.

More than anything you need someone with SOME size that has speed and agility to draw a double team and most importantly, a NASTY disposition.

The only dude we currently have on our roster that I've seen with that skill set is Sid Moore. He's got decent size, he has a motor that goes pretty good and he don't like nobody across from him.

Rick

Agree Rick. Sid is a keeper! People forget he was just a freshman.

Sid was my player this year and he played great for a redshirt freshmen. Where ever he lines up, I hope he continues to improve. I expect him to be All-Conference his junior and senior year.

And I'd love for him to put on 40lbs of muscle in the offseason.

But that isn't a given, and we shouldn't pretend like it is.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Replying to MeanGreen 93-98: Arizona 2 deep shows the position descriptions as NT, DT, DE. It is my understanding that is normal for a 3-3.

Huh . . . no, I've never heard that before. With 3 down linemen, one of those ends is typically DT-sized, but if you're on the end . . . you're an end.

Nice to see untgeorge posting again.

For you new fans and alumns who may not know, along with GrayEagle and a couple of others, this guy is one of our most respected senior posters we have here. When it comes to Mean Green athletics, he's seen it all,...and then some. We're fortunate to have him.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1