When asked about the offensive struggles, he mentioned using 3 QBs. Didn't talk about anything else. Said McNulty was the best of them.

Though I don't agree, I see where he's coming from. According to his strategy of protecting the football, McNulty was the best. That doesn't mean he was good, or able to lead our offense. He says he's going to recruit a QB. If we can trust Mr. Riddle & Chico, then we're not recruiting a High School QB... or, he's being vague about Chumley. We'll see.

Bringing Chico back, meaning, he trusts Chico. I only hope the OL guys waiting in the wings are ready to play next year. Need Rice & Epps to be everything we hope they'll be. I'm excited to see Goree suit up, and glad Harris is returning. Wilson is going to be awesome... but, if we don't have a QB that Chico & McCarney can trust to make good throws AND care for the ball, it'll be like a 454 with a couple of faulty spark plugs; It'll run, but poorly.

Akunne & Jones are going to be hard to replace. Jones more for his emotion than his playmaking ability. I think McClain is ready & will step in for Lee and do a pretty good job. Hoping SirCalvin & Sid continue to improve. Will be interested to see what DC comes in. Skladany had 100% of McCarney's trust. With him gone, if you think McCarney is controlling of the offense, he's going to look like Pol Pot with the defense if he brings in someone he doesn't really know.

ST's: Gotta hope Perry hangs around.

Knew it.

Mac says Mini-Mac starter "headed into next year." I'll take that to mean headed into Spring ball.

If he names Mini-Mac starter BEFORE spring camp instead of leaving the competition open, as it has been the last 2 years, I have little hope for more than 2 wins next year.

So many warning signs in these statements.

For some reason, im not mad at McNulty being named starter. These young qbs coming in need to have the mentality that you need to be a leader, you need to work, you need to come and TAKE the job.

McNulty needs as many reps as possible now. And since McNulty is a senior, Mac is going to be loyal to him. If he loses the job, the new qb is going to have to blow the coaches away.

Only thing that can change McNulty being the starter next year is a new OC that can get more out of the young qbs.

• Upvote 2

This is not Todd Dodge who never had a winning season here. Mac led us to arguably our most successful season ever?? last season in many ways... I'm sorry but he has proven that he can assemble a good squad and win as recent as less than a year ago. Marcus Trice didn't spin a globe and choose North Texas, he was recruited to here. Cyril Lemon didn't have a flat tire and stop into the UNT AD Department for an airpump. These guys have the ability to get some good players and win.

I think some of the criticisms of Mac sound hollow whence you factor in the 9-4 season he had last year. He deserves the chance to fix an off year.

Reminds me.

Did coach Simmonds go 'Nelson' on us by moving his best OL from his actual position (one he was getting NFL looks for)?

Recall back in 200(8?), Nelson took our best DE in Gilmore, and moved him inside, rendering him useless.

• Upvote 1

I think some of the criticisms of Mac sound hollow whence you factor in the 9-4 season he had last year. He deserves the chance to fix an off year.

<sarcasm>

Well Dickey had a 9 win season, and just before that an 8 win season, and just after that 9 win season he had a 7 win season, but he was fired after a bad year and a half.

I guess Mac has about six games next year to win or get fired...

</sarcasm>

• Upvote 1

On his opening for a defensive coordinator

“I am going to take my time with the defensive coordinator job. I don’t have someone I am going to announce in three days. There is going to be a lot of movement in college football. It’s more important to me to get the right guy than get him in here to help with recruiting next week. If it’s next week, two weeks or a month from now, I want the right guy. There are a lot of people interested in the job and I feel like there will be more.”

You know: Coach Skladany made his intentions known quite a few months ago. Either Coach Mac is one of the most indecisive coaches in America when it comes to hiring, or he's one of the biggest procrastinators.

If Coach Mac doesn't see the urgency of getting another guy out there on the recruitment trail ASAP, then he hasn't looked at the depth chart recently.

• Upvote 2

You know: Coach Skladany made his intentions known quite a few months ago. Either Coach Mac is one of the most indecisive coaches in America when it comes to hiring, or he's one of the biggest procrastinators.

If Coach Mac doesn't see the urgency of getting another guy out there on the recruitment trail ASAP, then he hasn't looked at the depth chart recently.

I agree with McCarney in waiting around.

Not all of the movement is done yet, and if a guy he likes is currently in a predicament (ig: Bowen) and could become available later, then he can wait it out.

It's not like Skladany was out hitting the recruiting trail hard anyway.

• Upvote 1

I am sure McNulty is a great kid, but this offseason his arm is not going to get stronger. He is late on alot of his throws because he knows his arm strength and doesn't trust it. He stares at receivers and at his height, that is why so many passes get batted down. He rarely keeps the ball on read options, so the running game is hamstrung against good defenses. Not fired up for next year.

just like I feel the young qbs can improve with experience, McNulty can too. If McNulty had been named starter from the very beginning, we may have had a better shot at pulling off, USM, Rice, or UTSA. Maybe.

Add goree and Wilson, and that could give him more explosive weapons. Marcus Smith and harris were some of the few bright spots this year.

McNulty is going to play better next year. How much better? Dont know.

McNulty lost the running element to his game. His ribs were hurt against Rice and they are still hurt. Its sad that we had to continue to roll out a below average qb, and on top of that, he was hurt. The hurt ribs affected the playcalling and the read option. It also prevented him from wanting to scramble for yardage. Especially against UTSA. Lots of yardage available. That was the reason for the sliding on the runs. Hurt ribs.

• Upvote 1

I agree with McCarney in waiting around.

Not all of the movement is done yet, and if a guy he likes is currently in a predicament (ig: Bowen) and could become available later, then he can wait it out.

It's not like Skladany was out hitting the recruiting trail hard anyway.

And assuming that is the case, then once again, I refer you to the depth chart.

Edited by SilverEagle

Lets face if the poor evaluation at QB position, the unwillingness to be innovative on offense. Hurt us. This is all on the coaches. This is what they get paid the big bucks to produce and they didn't deliver. We have talent on the field but if the coaches don't put the kids in a position to succeed we are doomed. Hence this season. Is Mac going to get innovative?? That is question I want answered. Stop talking a good game and utilize the talent you have and stop making excuses about "it's hard to recruit blah blah" w

We could use an upgrade in talent, but we are in CUSA. The talent is comparable across the board.

We had the talent to be tied with USM, UTSA, and Rice. We needed play calling and execution to pull it out.

Tommy Perry came in and used a lot of the same talent that Kent riddle had, added some young players that barely had experience, and turned special teams completely around. Coaches make a difference.

• Upvote 3

I came into this season very afraid of seeing McNulty as starter mainly because of his past turnover issues. I think he improved on that this year. While I still don't think he'll ever be a big time playmaker, I do think he can improve to the point that he can help us win games---but it all depends on the talent being put around him. This season he had one reliable receiving option (Harris) and several average RBs. We didn't have one player who was a real threat to break any play for a TD. We need to find more playmakers at the skill positions or it won't matter who we put at QB.

• Upvote 2

I came into this season very afraid of seeing McNulty as starter mainly because of his past turnover issues. I think he improved on that this year. While I still don't think he'll ever be a big time playmaker, I do think he can improve to the point that he can help us win games---but it all depends on the talent being put around him. This season he had one reliable receiving option (Harris) and several average RBs. We didn't have one player who was a real threat to break any play for a TD. We need to find more playmakers at the skill positions or it won't matter who we put at QB.

You can't make plays or yards after the catch with poorly under thrown ball and the QB inability to see the receiver quick enough. It's hard to make plays when by the time the QB sees you everyone else does as well

• Upvote 3

You can't make plays or yards after the catch with poorly under thrown ball and the QB inability to see the receiver quick enough. It's hard to make plays when by the time the QB sees you everyone else does as well

You see what you want to see, I guess. Look, I'm not sitting here hoping and praying that McNulty is our starter next year. I'd love for DW to pull his head out of his arse and take over once and for all---or someone new with the same kind of talent that had no baggage would be fine by me, as well. All I'm saying is that McNulty wasn't the turnover machine he had been, and improved as the year progressed. He can be serviceable.

But don't kid yourself. Our receivers, as a whole, were subpar compared to both our competition and our own past teams.

• Upvote 3

Lets face if the poor evaluation at QB position, the unwillingness to be innovative on offense. Hurt us. This is all on the coaches. This is what they get paid the big bucks to produce and they didn't deliver. We have talent on the field but if the coaches don't put the kids in a position to succeed we are doomed. Hence this season. Is Mac going to get innovative?? That is question I want answered. Stop talking a good game and utilize the talent you have and stop making excuses about "it's hard to recruit blah blah" w

Mac is "all hat, no cattle" as they say around these parts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Thats a bold prediction considering Mac has his guy in there for his senior season. Means will be a redshirt freshman with no college experience.

EXTREMELY bold, unless there's some kind of a family relationship that I'm not aware of. He may get a bit smarter, but I just don't see McNulty's arm strength improving enough to open up this offense down field at all next season. He probably would of had 4 picks last Saturday if S.A. defenders could have caught the ball. Please bring in a proven transfer ASAP, and give him a reasonable chance at the job..

• Upvote 2

EXTREMELY bold, unless there's some kind of a family relationship that I'm not aware of. He may get a bit smarter, but I just don't see McNulty's arm strength improving enough to open up this offense down field at all next season. He probably would of had 4 picks last Saturday if S.A. defenders could have caught the ball. Please bring in a proven transfer ASAP, and give him a reasonable chance at the job..

Probably not going to find a "proven" transfer, but you may get a nice backup like Sokol to transfer in.

I'm glad that DW is sticking around, because he still has 3 years to play- but I am not getting my hopes up. Means could be good but it is rare to have a freshman come in and be successful out of the gate. The situation is crying out for an eligible immediately transfer or juco. I think 6-6 Chumley could be interesting. Just need to make SURE that they can play -- if they can't or there is any question I would rather spend the reps on our young guys.

It takes a lot of guts to come out and say you made some mistakes. I am extremely pleased to hear this from Mac. When you realize there are some things you could have done better you are in a much better position to correct them and make improvements going forward. I found his entire message very encouraging as a fan. GMG

In my business we deal with people who "come out and say they made some mistakes" every day. Parole hearings are chock full of them. It's just words until you show a change.

• Upvote 1

Thats a bold prediction considering Mac has his guy in there for his senior season. Means will be a redshirt freshman with no college experience.

Thats what makes it a bold prediction.

I agree with fouts, i dont see Nutty's arm getting any stronger He had 6 TD's and 7 INT's in the final games he started and like Fouts mentioned, he should of had a bunch more. His throws are so eratic, he stares down his receiver and I know some things can be tuned in the offseason and with experience but not athletic ability and arm strength.

No matter who starts at QB, I pray for a new play caller for next year. Chico has been below average his entire tenure at UNT and I have grown very tired of 13 screen plays a game

Probably not going to find a "proven" transfer, but you may get a nice backup like Sokol to transfer in.

I doubt Mac will name McNulty as the starter, and then bring in a transfer to take his spot. We are talking about Mac, who is hesitant to make a change and is full of coachspeak. For him to come out and back McNulty this early means that it is set in stone. He probably wishes he made the move earlier this season.

We are rolling with McNulty fellas. May as well concentrate on making the components around him better.