Most Disappointing Texas College Teams

NT93

We're obviously having a disappointing season, but so are several other Texas colleges. At this point in the season, I'd rank them in this order from below expectations to exceeding expectations based on pre-season expectations. Obviously lots of room for debate.

1. SMU

2. Houston

3. UTSA

4. UNT

5. Texas Tech

6. Texas

7. Texas A&M

8. Rice

9. UTEP

10. Baylor

11. TCU

I went with SMU as most disappointing only because they are the worst team in the FBS...that's probably a little below their expectations.

We're obviously having a disappointing season, but so are several other Texas colleges. At this point in the season, I'd rank them in this order from below expectations to exceeding expectations based on pre-season expectations. Obviously lots of room for debate.

1. SMU

2. Houston

3. UTSA

4. UNT

5. Texas Tech

6. Texas

7. Texas A&M

8. Rice

9. UTEP

10. Baylor

11. TCU

I went with SMU as most disappointing only because they are the worst team in the FBS...that's probably a little below their expectations.

If you are basing this on pre-season expectations, doesn't A&M belong closer to the top? Did SMU have any pre-season expectations?

If you are basing this on pre-season expectations, doesn't A&M belong closer to the top? Did SMU have any pre-season expectations?

A&M was predicted by the majority of national pundits to be either 7-5 or 8-4. There were perhaps a handful of 9-3's out there.

It seems like Texas A&M is the very definition of meets expectations from the pre-season. If any team is placed wrong, Baylor should flip with UTEP. Baylor was predicted to go 11-1 or 12-0 and will most likely meet those expectations. UTEP was predicted to have 3-4 wins and could possibly end up with 7 or more. I'd slide the Miners in right behind TCU, who is by far exceeding pre-season expectations

Why isn't Texas State on this list?

1. SMU

2. Houston

3. UTSA

4. UNT

5. Texas Tech

6. Texas

7. Texas A&M

8. Rice

9. UTEP

10. Baylor

11. TCU

My personal list

1. UNT

2. Texas

3. Texas Tech

4. Houston

5. A&M

6. UTSA

7. T. State

8. UTEP

9. Rice

10. Baylor

11. TCU

12. SMU- cant fail if you dont have expectations

1. SMU

2. Houston

3. UTSA

4. UNT

5. Texas Tech

6. Texas

7. Texas A&M

8. Rice

9. UTEP

10. Baylor

11. TCU

A couple of things--you forgot Texas State, who is having a nice season that should get them in a bowl, and Texas A&M was ranked at the beginning of the year, along with Baylor, as well as Texas and TCU in some polls.

From where we all felt that they would be to where they are now and are headed, this is my list of exceeding versus failing in Texas:

TCU--obvious

UTEP--way better than anyone thought they'd be

Texas State--solid year and headed to a bowl game

Baylor--met the expectations of being top ten at the beginning of the year

Texas A&M--met the expectations of being a top 25 team at the beginning of the year

Rice--most thought they'd be a solid team again

Texas--about where they should be, but they're Texas, so its probably considered disappointing

Houston--lost to UTSA to start the season at home in their new stadium, lost at Tulane, but still having a decent year and will go bowling

UTSA--started off nicely, but have fallen off the cliff since the calendar turned beyond September

UNT--cannot beat anyone beyond the dregs of college football

Texas Tech--gave Kliff Kingsbury a 7-year contract extension for $3.5 million per year, now getting pounded weekly by other P5 teams

SMU--obvious

I think it would go something like this

Texas Tech

Texas

UNT

end...

i don't think anyone is madder at their program then red raider fans... with KK getting an insane extension and a nice bowl win last year... and then you come back to this mess, getting DESTROYED against TCU... with Coach Bro on the sideline just looking lost

tu fans are disappointed because of unrealistic expectations

UNT because this could lead us back to where we were before

I knew I was leaving out Texas St., but no knowledge whatsoever of how they are doing or what they were expected to do.

My expectations are not from the teams fan base, just college football fans in general.

I'd say most people expected SMU to win 5-6 games, so I'd say being the worst team in the FBS would qualify that as pretty disappointing.

As far as UTEP, I originally thought they were way better than anyone expected, but after looking at my Texas Football magazine last night, they are basically spot on in their prediction. I put them 9 because I do feel they are better than expected.

I put UTSA ahead of us mainly because they have so many seniors and this was going to be "their year."

From my original list, I'd say that teams 1-5 are below expectations, teams 6-10 are about where expected and TCU is the only one who is truly exceeding expectations...though I can see the UTEP argument.

untjim: Can't argue with your rankings, not too far off from mine.

I'd probably start my list as follows:

UTSA

UH

UNT

Texas Tech

After that, it's all pretty much as-expexted.

UT fans expected a rough season. Though I dont think they expected to be fighting to become bowl-eligible.

A&M is right where they should be, related to preseason expectations. But if we were measuring it compared to their expectations at mid-season, A&M would be at the top of the list. At one point they were ranked #6 in the nation, chest-beating with all their #WRTS nonsense, before getting turned inside out by Miss State, Ole, Miss, and Bama.

I hope UT wins another game and A&M loses out. Then I hope the powers that be pit them against one another in some garbage bowl like the Advocare Texas Bowl in Houston and we can watch with amusement a battle of the "once was."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Championship expectations for ATM? No way. They lost a good QB and have had a pitiful D since entering the SEC.

And yes, I agree with Withers. Get Texas State on the schedule ASAP. We can't afford to let them pass us by on the recruiting trail and curb stomping them would delay that for years.

Maybe I should have said these expectations were more "first game" expectations than "pre-season." Alot of people were calling South Carolina one of the SEC's best teams, and then A&M trounced them at home. Turns out they were both overrated, but hard to see during week 1.

Maybe I should have said these expectations were more "first game" expectations than "pre-season." Alot of people were calling South Carolina one of the SEC's best teams, and then A&M trounced them at home. Turns out they were both overrated, but hard to see during week 1.

This is the exact reason I specified pre-season. When I was originally thinking about it, A&M was near the top, but then I realized their expectations really went up after week 1...and even higher after about week 5 as mentioned by Eagle1855.

It will be interesting to see how much our opinions change over the final few weeks of the season.

My picks would be SMU,UTSA,UNT, and TT. Any team that has not won a game has to be #1. UTSA, with a senior heavy squad, started out beating Houston,giving Arizona a good game, and then fell on a ditch.UNT was overated based upon their personel loses from last year's team, but still should have been a 6&6 or 5&7 team. TT's is a disaster, with a non conference schedule that should have made them bowl worthy.