Thinking ahead and jucos

Harry

I think we all are in agreement we need to add some firepower in terms of recruiting classes to turn this ship around. The problem that you face is Mac is not really a juco guy...he likes to build with high school players which I happen to agree with.

I like the way this 2015 class is shaping up, but the truth is you are looking at red shirting most of this next class and very few will see playing time right away based on Mac's history.

So my question is should Mac start to look at more jucos on a go forward basis to try and say rebuild the defensive line and perhaps even the offensive line? It seems like some of the other CUSA programs are doing this and having some success.

I think we all are in agreement we need to add some firepower in terms of recruiting classes to turn this ship around. The problem that you face is Mac is not really a juco guy...he likes to build with high school players which I happen to agree with.

I like the way this 2015 class is shaping up, but the truth is you are looking at red shirting most of this next class and very few will see playing time right away based on Mac's history.

So my question is should Mac start to look at more jucos on a go forward basis to try and say rebuild the defensive line and perhaps even the offensive line? It seems like some of the other CUSA programs are doing this and having some success.

I guess I can understand redshirting if the player needs more physical development, or if we're deep at that position, but why did we not see more need at some positions like wr and dt and start those guys if they could help us? I understand that some think it takes time to develop a dt, but a lot of teams seem to like their true freshman receivers enough to start them.

• Upvote 2

The funny (ironic/sad) thing is, our 2012 class we went strictly high school kids so that we would have our roster depth built up by now. We lost, I believe, over 30 scholarship seniors off Mac's first team in 2011 because many were apart of Dodge's big class (2008) and many were JUCOs Dodge brought in out of desperation for the 2010 season before he was fired.

As many kids as we lost from our 2011 team, Mac chose to not pick up JUCOs to immediately fill those spots and run the risk of having an incredibly thin 2012 team in hopes that the 2012 high school signees would develop and help the team later on.

Just curious, what positions do you guys feel we need most help at, as far as JUCO guys?

And before you guys say "defensive tackle," remember, those guys, just like high school DTs, are about as valuable in recruiting as cigarettes are in prison. So if we want to get one who can make a difference and be a legitimate upgrade over what we have, he's probably going to have multiple p5 offers and we'll have to outrecruit some solid programs to get him.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

I agree with Harry about building with freshmen...if we are getting quality freshmen. But, if a position doesn't pan out then we should look to the JUCO ranks.

If there's a real quality player from a junior college then we should pull out all stops. Two years with a solid starter > four years with a backup. We've already lost the best junior college player, the defensive back from Mississippi, due to a torn ACL. Personally, I think that he would've been worth the gamble. Yes, he wouldn't have been able to join for the spring but with his experience I believe that he would've been on the fast track for the fall. The other position of need is defensive tackle and I'd hope that we look at Edwards? from Iowa Western. I wasn't too concerned about receivers but I thought that we'd play Goree, at the least, and possibly Rutherford. Every receiver except Harris is/has been having problems. Whatever position we offer should be only to a highly-sought-after player at a position of need.

• Upvote 2