Weird question about alumni of "Little UTs"

JesseMartin

So I have a sister (to whom I haven't spoken in almost a decade) that went to UT-Tyler and she (and my dumbass parents) tell people that she graduated from the University of Texas. A lot of you have mentioned that you know lots of alumni from UTEP, UTSA, etc. so I was wondering...is this a common thing among alumni of the satellite schools? Do they just go around telling people they went to UT and leave off whichever campus it was, hoping nobody calls BS on them? Or is this a rare case involving people I'm unfortunate enough to share a gene pool with?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This has become very common and technically, they are correct. But it really pisses me off when a graduate of UNT Dallas passes themselves off as a graduate of UNT Denton.

Joking aside, a few years ago, I read a completely serious article giving advice to those youngsters who went to less than stirling colleges. For example If someone asked you "WHERE did you go to college ?"According to the article, no matter if you attended North Texas Central College, Sul Ross Sate, or Blinn Jr College, you could and should reply, "Texas".

So, generally speaking, would everyone say that those who try to claim they went to the flagship (but didn't) is a moron, and those who don't are at least bright enough not to try? Seems like a reasonable enough classification to me.

I went to UNT for undergrad then University of Texas Medical Branch. I would never claim to be a UT fan or have gone to UT.

My Dad does not understand why I am not a UT fan or claim to have gone to UT.

I have a neighbor who is a die hard OU fan- he went to UTD. He grew up in Oklahoma.

• Upvote 1

This has become very common and technically, they are correct. But it really pisses me off when a graduate of UNT Dallas passes themselves off as a graduate of UNT Denton.

Joking aside, a few years ago, I read a completely serious article giving advice to those youngsters who went to less than stirling colleges. For example If someone asked you "WHERE did you go to college ?"According to the article, no matter if you attended North Texas Central College, Sul Ross Sate, or Blinn Jr College, you could and should reply, "Texas".

Well, that's a neckslapping offense if any. If I were a UT alum, that would upset me. If you graduated from a school, claim it.

A lot of class in this opening sentence.

If you knew what horrible people they were, you'd think this was pretty generous. This specific display of dumbassery is nothing near the rest of what they've accomplished as a trio. The reason I phrased it that way was due to the fact that, though I'm curious about the phenomenon, I certainly won't be asking them or sharing my findings with them and it's laid out in such a way as to imply that fairly readily.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1