UNT lands UAB safety transfer Jakii Moore

Brett Vito

HUDL film is impressive. Here's the deal, he's a legit 6-1 and close to 200 with good speed. He's an immediate special team contributor. We go from being weak at safety depth to it being a strength with Gray and Kishawn.

Like this signing a lot.

I would assume it would be because he redshirted. The same reason you don't see Brock Berglund on a 2012 UNT roster.

By that logic our roster shouldn't have had all of our transfers (Jackson twins, Epps, Rice) and Tee Goree, O'Keeron Rutherford, Chris Miles, Brandon Garner, TJ Tauaalo, etc, who we are all redshirting. If you sign a JUCO player then he's eligible to play the next season (2014 at UAB for Moore). He wouldn't just be taken off the roster because the coaching staff chose to redshirt him. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

By that logic our roster shouldn't have had all of our transfers (Jackson twins, Epps, Rice) and Tee Goree, O'Keeron Rutherford, Chris Miles, Brandon Garner, TJ Tauaalo, etc, who we are all redshirting. If you sign a JUCO player then he's eligible to play the next season (2014 at UAB for Moore). He wouldn't just be taken off the roster because the coaching staff chose to redshirt him.

By what logic? I never said that redshirts are never listed on a roster.

I think it is probably a by-product of weaker classes his first two years.

It had to be hard to recruit coming off the Dodge teams and even after 5 wins his first season.

I think last year's class was solid, but I see lots of schools filling in the gaps where they missed with JUCO kids.

JUCO kids don't bother me, as long as they can actually play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

By what logic? I never said that redshirts are never listed on a roster.

My point was that just because you're redshirting doesn't mean you wouldn't be on the roster. If Moore signed with UAB in the spring, and joined the team for fall camp then he would've been on the roster and wouldn't have been taken off just because the staff chose to redshirt him. Berglund's situation was different, although I don't remember him not being on the roster in 2012, but I'll take your word for it.

But like I said, him redshirting is not a good explanation for why he was never listed on the roster. And I don't think he was taken off the roster, because even if he was you can still access a removed player's official site profile from google. Or at least you usually can.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know that it's desperation, but I do think it's an admission that the talent needed to win in 2015 was not on the roster.

A few questions:

-Is bringing in another safety an indication that Schilleci isn't seen as "starter material"?

-It seems our O-line next season will be heavy on transfers and JUCO players...didn't we sign a bunch of kids out of high school several years back? Where is the development?

-Are running back and TE the only positions where we didn't bring in a transfer or JUCO?

• Upvote 1

I don't think we were in danger of winning 10 games last season, but I definitely think we could have won 6 or 7 games with a better QB situation. The defense was good enough to win 6/7, but the QB play was very bad.

Between the new QBs added, and maturity of the existing crew, I am confident that we will at least take a small step forward at QB next season.

I think the attrition from the 2011 and 2012 classes required that we add Juco/Xfers in order to provide competition at certain positions. For example, we really only have McClain and Shilleci returning at safety. They may be the guys, but adding some experience Jucos will ensure that we at least have some competition at both positions next spring/fall.

@UNT90

Here is a HS DT that has been committed to the Mean Green for a while:

http://247sports.com/Player/RD-Wegmann-76049

Edited by greenit

As stated in someone else's comment, I don't think this is desperation per say. I do think it is obvious that Mac is not recruiting HS talent at the level he wants to for whatever reason. It's easy to point to the Dodge Era, but Mac is entering his 5th season. I am an advocate of going JUCO. We need more size, speed, strength and just sheer talent on this roster. Mac understands that and is going JUCO to try to fix it. Mac doesn't like doing this, most old school coaches (aside from Snyder) don't. But this is necessary and I think Mac knows if he displays another 4-8 football team next season he is going to lose a lot of fans that are still "siding" with him. I commend Mac for doing this, he is going out of his comfort zone to correct former recruiting blunders. I think (hope) the transfers currently on the roster and JUCO's he has hauled in can play. GMG.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we were in danger of winning 10 games last season, but I definitely think we could have won 6 or 7 games with a better QB situation. The defense was good enough to win 6/7, but the QB play was very bad.

Between the new QBs added, and maturity of the existing crew, I am confident that we will at least take a small step forward at QB next season.

I think the attrition from the 2011 and 2012 classes required that we add Juco/Xfers in order to provide competition at certain positions. For example, we really only have McClain and Shilleci returning at safety. They may be the guys, but adding some experience Jucos will ensure that we at least have some competition at both positions next spring/fall.

@UNT90

Here is a HS DT that has been committed to the Mean Green for a while:

http://247sports.com/Player/RD-Wegmann-76049

He's referring to TOP DT recruits. There's hundreds of available 2 star/non-rated 264 LB DT's out there. We need a future game changer.

Rick