So Even Assuming that Nicholls=Washington Generals

Harry

Nicholls State is 0-4 by a combined score of 221-36. So you have to take that into account looking at yesterday.

So let's assume that Nicholls was the main reason we had such a great offensive/defensive day. There is still another major reason for us to be excited for the future and that is the overall youth movement we are seeing inside of this program right now.

Here is a summary in terms of freshman and sophomores on the roster:

True Freshman Willie Ivery scored his first TD

True Freshman Jeff Wilson has shown good ability

Redshirt Freshman Erick Evans has shown good ability

Sophomore Darvin Kidsy appears to be coming into his own

RS Freshman QB Dajon Williams appears to be the real deal

True Freshman Tillman Johnson had three sacks yesterday, was 3rd on the team in tackles and has shown good ability

Sophomore Fred Scott has started and played well; had 5 tackles yesterday

Sophomore center Kaydon Kirby started all last season and this one. freshman all c-usa honors

True freshman Kishawn McLain was fourth in tackles yesterday and has shown good ability

Sophomore linebacker Sed Ellis had four tackles yesterday and appears to have good ability

Sophomore Malik Dilonga appears to have good ability and had a sack 4 tackles and a tfl yesterday

RS Freshman Sid Moore had a sack and tackle for a loss yesterday

Sophomore Calvin Minor appears to have good ability with 3 tackles a tfl and sack yesterday

True Freshman kicker Trevor Moore appears to be outstanding

RS Freshman Andy Flusche had 4 tackles a tfl and sack yesterday and appears to have good ability

Sophomore Jarrian Roberts had 3 tackles yesterday and shows good ability

Sir Calvin Wallace is a sophomore has improved a lot and shows good ability

Dutton Wallace is a sophomore and shows good ability

Waiting in the wings:

Aderius Epps K-State transfer to the O-Line

Sam Rice SMU transfer to the O-Line

Rasard and Vershad Jackson New Mexico transfers to the secondary

All good points. But the true key to next season is replacing 4 of 5 starters on the O line. This is why starting McKinney and moving Lemon to tackle hurts us long-term.

So after the final Williams series in the 3rd, our line was Clayton, Trussell, Rentfro, Thompson, and Ellard. This was really valuable experience for these guys. I know we think/hope that Rice and Epps come in next year and provide immediate help. But given our lack of luck with transfers, I am not holding my breath. To me, our 2nd O line playing that much was a great outcome from this game. I hope we get them in there as much as possible, even when we are not up by 40.

From watching him at practice and hearing Mac's comments I feel confident that Rice can plan. Not as sure about Epps. You raise a good point. I think the key will be if we can develop a good pair of tackles. Antonio Johnson has been a great player for us at that position for a long time.

Nicholls State is 0-4 by a combined score of 221-36. So you have to take that into account looking at yesterday.

So let's assume that Nicholls was the main reason we had such a great offensive/defensive day. There is still another major reason for us to be excited for the future and that is the overall youth movement we are seeing inside of this program right now.

Here is a summary in terms of freshman and sophomores on the roster:

True Freshman Willie Ivery scored his first TD

True Freshman Jeff Wilson has shown good ability

Redshirt Freshman Erick Evans has shown good ability

Sophomore Darvin Kidsy appears to be coming into his own

RS Freshman QB Dajon Williams appears to be the real deal

True Freshman Tillman Johnson had three sacks yesterday, was 3rd on the team in tackles and has shown good ability

Sophomore Fred Scott has started and played well; had 5 tackles yesterday

Sophomore center Kaydon Kirby started all last season and this one. freshman all c-usa honors

True freshman Kishawn McLain was fourth in tackles yesterday and has shown good ability

Sophomore linebacker Sed Ellis had four tackles yesterday and appears to have good ability

Sophomore Malik Dilonga appears to have good ability and had a sack 4 tackles and a tfl yesterday

RS Freshman Sid Moore had a sack and tackle for a loss yesterday

Sophomore Calvin Minor appears to have good ability with 3 tackles a tfl and sack yesterday

True Freshman kicker Trevor Moore appears to be outstanding

RS Freshman Andy Flusche had 4 tackles a tfl and sack yesterday and appears to have good ability

Sophomore Jarrian Roberts had 3 tackles yesterday and shows good ability

Sir Calvin Wallace is a sophomore has improved a lot and shows good ability

Dutton Wallace is a sophomore and shows good ability

Waiting in the wings:

Aderius Epps K-State transfer to the O-Line

Sam Rice SMU transfer to the O-Line

Rasard and Vershad Jackson New Mexico transfers to the secondary

You left Caleb Chumley's name off the list. The kid could potentially add another whole dimension to the North Texas offense: a giant freak athlete playing tight end that can also throw the ball. Defenses will be thrown for a loop when Dajon occasionally lines up at receiver and they're facing Caleb in the backfield.

• Upvote 2

From watching him at practice and hearing Mac's comments I feel confident that Rice can plan. Not as sure about Epps. You raise a good point. I think the key will be if we can develop a good pair of tackles. Antonio Johnson has been a great player for us at that position for a long time.

Yup. I'm feeling good about Rice, especially considering he was a starter at SMU as a true sophomore and did not redshirt as a freshman. Not just a guy.

As for the rest of the line, we're in Coach Mccarney's 4th year and he's only started one of his high school offensive line signees in Cyril Lemon during those four years. All the other starters have been Dodge guys, a former walkon (Kirby), and a JUCO transfer (Mckinney). Next year our line, in his fifth year, might be two former walkons (Kirby and Banogu), two transfers (Rice and Epps), and the fifth guy tbd. We need Coach Mac's o-line signees to start getting ready to take over. Especially at tackle. We aren't recruiting any JUCO tackles, so that may be a good sign for the guys we have now. Games like yesterday were great for developing those guys.

Edited by BillySee58

Yup. I'm feeling good about Rice, especially considering he was a starter at SMU as a true sophomore and did not redshirt as a freshman. Not just a guy.

As for the rest of the line, we're in Coach Mccarney's 4th year and he's only started one of his high school offensive line signees in Cyril Lemon during those four years. All the other starters have been Dodge guys, a former walkon (Kirby), and a JUCO transfer (Mckinney). Next year our line, in his fifth year, might be two former walkons (Kirby and Banogu), two transfers (Rice and Epps), and the fifth guy tbd. We need Coach Mac's o-line signees to start getting ready to take over. Especially at tackle. We aren't recruiting any JUCO tackles, so that may be a good sign for the guys we have now. Games like yesterday were great for developing those guys.

Which is why we need to schedule one a year...a point where guys like me and 90 disagree. You have to have a gimme for: (1) morale, and (2) to get a feel for what you have with the next generation. Better to see where they need work in real game time. Better than just seeing them in scrimmages against your own.

I'm totally with 90 on getting better teams into Apogee because we've spent the money. However, I still say we need an FCS or a TBC to open the season or at least sometime in September. Many programs that have risen from nothing have done it that way - Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State are three that come to mind.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Anyone else notice NW La. State beat La. Tech Saturday?

Yes. And, that's why it's all the more difficult to say our Nicholls State game is the point of "hope." The team that trashed us loses to an FCS at home. So...where are we really?

As stated in another thread, I'm not jumping off a cliff when Indiana beats us in two weeks. My point of concern would be not competing well with UAB, who appears to be an "on the rise" C-USun Belt team, as Louisiana Tech was supposed to be. If UAB beats us the way a now-iffy Louisiana Tech did, we've got problems - with half the season gone.

• Upvote 1

Which is why we need to schedule one a year...a point where guys like me and 90 disagree. You have to have a gimme for: (1) morale, and (2) to get a feel for what you have with the next generation. Better to see where they need work in real game time. Better than just seeing them in scrimmages against your own.

I'm totally with 90 on getting better teams into Apogee because we've spent the money. However, I still say we need an FCS or a TBC to open the season or at least sometime in September. Many programs that have risen from nothing have done it that way - Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State are three that come to mind.

I too like these games. My ideal non-conference schedule is 1 gimme, 1 paycheck/bodybag game, 1 G5 home and home (love the SMU series), and 1 at least semi-beatable P5 home and home (i.e. Texas Tech/Iowa State/Oregon State/Vandy etc). If one day we ever became a big enough program to not need a body-bag game then I'd like another gimme as well, like the schools you mentioned.

For the record, I'm not against scheduling FCS schools.

I am against having an FCS as your only OOC game as will happen for the 2nd time in 4 years next year.

I also believe we should balance FCS with a legitimate P5 home opponent every 2 or 3 years.

Have yet to see that happen at Apogee.

I too like these games. My ideal non-conference schedule is 1 gimme, 1 paycheck/bodybag game, 1 G5 home and home (love the SMU series), and 1 at least semi-beatable P5 home and home (i.e. Texas Tech/Iowa State/Oregon State/Vandy etc). If one day we ever became a big enough program to not need a body-bag game then I'd like another gimme as well, like the schools you mentioned.

This is what I've thought, minus the paycheck game. Or, at least I argued a couple of seasons ago, get a different paycheck game than the OU-Texas-LSU circuit we seemed to be stuck in.

That's why I'm not unhappy with the Georgia, Iowa, and Florida games in the future. Is it a paycheck game? Yes. But, how many times am I going to keep going to OU-Texas-LSU on the road? Norman, Austin, Baton Rouge...been there, done that. Let's at least change the scenery and experience some of the other big time college game day atmospheres. I applaud Rick for moving in that direction.

I think our school's dopehead contingency would love a trip to Colorado as well, which is why I think pushing for a series with the Buffaloes is viable.

This is what I've thought, minus the paycheck game. Or, at least I argued a couple of seasons ago, get a different paycheck game than the OU-Texas-LSU circuit we seemed to be stuck in.

That's why I'm not unhappy with the Georgia, Iowa, and Florida games in the future. Is it a paycheck game? Yes. But, how many times am I going to keep going to OU-Texas-LSU on the road? Norman, Austin, Baton Rouge...been there, done that. Let's at least change the scenery and experience some of the other big time college game day atmospheres. I applaud Rick for moving in that direction.

I think our school's dopehead contingency would love a trip to Colorado as well, which is why I think pushing for a series with the Buffaloes is viable.

I think who we choose as our paycheck game, is very telling in regards to our need for the cash. My assumption is that we schedule these perennial powerhouses because they pay the most, while costing the least in travel expenses.

Love that we had Georgia on our schedule last year and Iowa in the future. The travel cost more but hey there is even a slimmer of hope we actually beat Iowa. I'll take it!

We had a bad game against La Tech. The offense's inability to do anything eventually broke the defense (same song, different dance). I don't really care about the La Tech game. I'm more interested in what will happen against IU and on the road against UAB.

If the offense is indeed better with the DW -- and signs point towards yes -- then getting first downs and maintaining drives (not going three and out) will at the very least improve the field position game -- and all of this helps out the defense.

I think who we choose as our paycheck game, is very telling in regards to our need for the cash. My assumption is that we schedule these perennial powerhouses because they pay the most, while costing the least in travel expenses.

Love that we had Georgia on our schedule last year and Iowa in the future. The travel cost more but hey there is even a slimmer of hope we actually beat Iowa. I'll take it!

Love the Iowa game as well. Also note that Iowa is one of those that schedules one FCS a year early at home:

2014: Northern Iowa

2013: Missouri State

2012: Northern Iowa

2011: Tennessee Tech

2010: Eastern Illinois

2009: Northern Iowa

2008: Maine

2007: No FCS

2006: Montana

2005: Northern Iowa

Nine seasons out of the past 10, the bulk of the Ferentz Era. Most of those are the season's home openers. Say what you will, but many coaches see this as tune up.

This is the best way to go. I like Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State's scheduling as well. Although, I think sometimes K-State and Tech go too far in the season they have two FCS opponents:

Tech:

2013: SFA and Texas State

2012: Northwestern State and Texas State

2008: Eastern Washington and Massachusetts

2005: Sam Houston State and Indiana State

K-State:

2009: Massachusetts and Tennessee Tech

2003: McNeese State and Massachusetts

I think one FCS/TBC is fine. Many schools do it. We needed it this season. It's not outside the realm of what other programs do.

Love the Iowa game as well. Also note that Iowa is one of those that schedules one FCS a year early at home:

Nine seasons out of the past 10, the bulk of the Ferentz Era. Most of those are the season's home openers. Say what you will, but many coaches see this as tune up.

This is the best way to go. I like Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State's scheduling as well. Although, I think sometimes K-State and Tech go too far in the season they have two FCS opponents:

Tech:

K-State:

I think one FCS/TBC is fine. Many schools do it. We needed it this season. It's not outside the realm of what other programs do.

The problem with the examples of schools scheduling FCS schools above is that those schools have 7-8 home games a year, so they can afford one. And I'm ok with one even with 6, but that's why some people don't like them, especially if your only other home game is SMU or Army for the next 6 years.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

The Iowa series is a schedule flexibility killer. It is a terrible series that reaffirms to our alumni that we are what we have always been.

And it cost us at least one, and quit possibly two, five home game seasons in the future.

TFLF has already said he considers SMU an "alternate home game." Except we don't get any ticket revenue, concession revenue, etc... And we as fans don't get to tailgate in our regular spots, see the people we like to see pregame, or sit in the seats we have paid to sit in.

Alternate home game was something I'm sure this AD banked on when selling the SMU series. I think you will see a pattern emerge of 2 money games during the years we play at SMU.

It's short sighted, archaic thinking that focuses on bottom line vs growing the program.

And it is OH SO North Texas.

Edited by UNT90

Tech:

K-State:

Except other programs don't have an FCS as their ONLY out of conference game 2 times in a four year period like we will (2012 and 2015).

Look up the FBS teams that have done this and get back to me. That list will be hella short.